ATX Community

Do you remember your very first e-file?

SFA

Just remembering my first efile. Many years ago.

I asked each of my clients . . . do you want to be my FIRST e-file???? Heck NO!

So, my son was the guinea pig. I was so nervous. The IRS efile center walked me through the steps. At that time I was filing directly to the IRS, not through a third party like ATX. I was using an old DOS program: Dunphy.

Yeah, I remember. It was about ten years ago. My son was my guinea pig too. It was with a great deal of fear and trepidation that I clicked transmit. It worked! In fact, that first year I e-filed about 30 or 40 returns and virtually all were accepted on the first attempt. This year . . . I've had more first attempt rejects (about 6 or 7) than I did in the last five years combined!

One of my clients volunteered to be my first....Brave guy! He is my first client every year.....He is aware (and actually enjoys) that as the first transmission of the season, he is a "test subject". I think I transmitted through Nelco my first few years. But that was a looong time ago...at least it seems like it.

Mine was also many years ago on a DOS program also; Parsons Tech, which I have never forgiven Intuit for putting to death. In those days it cost $15 for Federal and $5 for State; I think it was done through Nelco. NOBODY was willing to pay that kind of money for some crazy new scheme;so rather than lose my EFIN, I filed my siblings and myself and footed the bill. They all went through. Had a brand new IBM PS2 with a 149 mb hard drive that was supposed to last me forever. I believe that machine cost more than than nearly all those that followed put together. Kept updating and updating. Who would have thought. I still have that computer and it still works unless it died in its sleep. We were flying high in those days.

Mine was also many years ago on a DOS program also; Parsons Tech, which I have never forgiven for putting to death.

They weren't put to death, they are alive and well and functioning as Second Story Software.

Your link took me to an adv for TaxAct. Actually, Intuit bought them out to the extent that they were no longer available at that time. What happened later is redundant because that is when I discovered Saber which became ATX. I used Parsons for several years and it was a neat little package and way ahead of its time for about $85 a year. Of course, as I said before, efile was extra, but at one time that was the case with all programs as far as I know.

How cool! We suddenly have spell check.

Mine was a couple of family friends, mother and daughter, who I was preparing free and had wanted to postpone until after tax season. They knew they were getting big refunds (EIC) and didn't want to wait. I realized they made perfect tests for my first two e-files; couldn't get too upset since they weren't paying anything! All went well; although, I remember waiting anxiously until the acks arrived hours later (next working day after feds were acked for states).

Guest Taxed

I was my own test case when I first got the EFIN. I still remember folks were telling me that i am crazy sending all that stuff electronically because back then computers used to crash a lot and I was using a DOS based program. I still remember I actually had a paper filing ready incase i did not receive my refund.

Just did a return last night for a (nutty guy), and he will NOT file electronically and WANTS a paper check for the refund. Here is the funny thing. He gets his social security in a direct deposit and tell me that he has no choice. So I told him that one of these days IRS may take his choice to get a papercheck away from him.

May be I should charge more for paper filing (more paper and toner expense for me).

Already CT stopped issuing paper checks and give out debit cards for refunds unless it is a direct deposit.

Mine was a church friend and ATX. Maybe 2000? Anyway, it seemed like quite an ordeal at the time, complete with a lot of stress sweat. And guess what? This year, he sends me a Facebook message, after I told him how miserable my issues were with software: "Hey, just wondering how our return is looking." I wanted to punch him in the stomach. Good times.

Mine was also many years ago on a DOS program also; Parsons Tech, which I have never forgiven for putting to death.

They weren't put to death, they are alive and well and functioning as Second Story Software.

I used the Parsons software for several years--best I've ever used. Like you, I was ticked big time with Intuit for killing it. I didn't realize they were resurrected as Second Story/TaxACT.

I just googled Bob Parsons, the founder of Parsons Technology. I was shocked to discover he was the founder of GoDaddy.com!!! Check him out at www.bobparsons.me

• Like 1