ATX Community

Sticking With ATX

Christian

I have pretty much decided to remain with ATX for 2014. Admittedly this has been a terrible year. As they are committed to remaining in the professional software business they will have to bring this product up to snuff or get out of this business. My program is still slower than it needs to be but having a small practice it is not a determining factor and it is improving as time goes on. They have until December to debug their product and judging by more recent developments they are getting there albeit slowly. Having fired a number of their top brass it is likely they will bring in a new team to clean up this mess. Assuming they don't attempt to pass the costs of this year's debacle on to us I will likely go with them for 2014. On the other hand if they jack up the price I have attractive pricing alternatives. :)

I'm going to re-do all my ATX returns in Drake over the summer (and maybe re-try the Drake returns in ATX, although they got done in Drake when ATX seized up and would not work at all).

That way I'll be ready no matter which way I decide to go, plus I should be much more facile with Drake than I currently am. No way I'd make a final decision on software for next year any time soon, though.

• Like 2

Just abandon all this "Forms-Based Input" obsession that some people cling to.

Then with Drake you'll find out what real speed is all about.

I discovered this as I would prepare 2012 returns in Drake while keeping the 2011 return open in ATX on the other monitor. I developed the habit of opening whatever I needed in ATX first in order to give it a chance to catch up with Drake. Well, I wouldn't say "catch up", but at least the delay was slower.

Your greatest speed-enhancer in Drake is to learn efficient use of the "Selector Field" at the bottom of the screen. This field is the "Pivot Point" for virtually all your data entry in Drake. For example, "A" takes you to Schedule A, and B, C, D, E, etc take you directly to those schedules. K1S takes you to the K-1 input screen for the 1120s K1. EXT or 4868 will take you to the extension form. And so on...

Learn to use the Macros for repetitive tasks. They are easy to write and test, and they greatly speed up your data entry when you need to enter the same info in different returns. For example, the name and address of various charities for the 8283.

And if you want to REALLY test Drake's efficiency, switch from one client to another and back again. Then try that with ATX.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

Excellent point. I found that to be very helpful. The only major issue with Drake is that many fields and calcs can NOT be overriden (or I have not figured out how to do it).

Is there a way to override the fields?

Excellent point. I found that to be very helpful. The only major issue with Drake is that many fields and calcs can NOT be overriden (or I have not figured out how to do it).

Is there a way to override the fields?

While it is not exactly an override, Drake has "=" fields where you can override and "+/-" fields where you can adjust the calcs from other input. They also have Itemized worksheets for most line. All of these can essentially override Drake's calculations.

BUT, like John said, Drake more often that not gets you to make the entry properly and you tend to have a more complete and accurate return because of this.

I routinely overrode ATX, only overrode Drake a couple of times in the beginning.

After this year's experiences and stories, anyone who doesn't have a secondary vendor lined up and ready to go on day 1 of the next tax season has no one to blame but themselves. This applies to those who had problems and to those who didn't. No excuses and no sympathy in 2014, regardless of how it shapes up.

• Like 1

I agree JohnH. This past year caught a lot of us off guard. I didn't have the early problems and really didn't have serious problems. But I did have some minor problems and it seems the program is slower than ever. There have been minor things in the past I didn't like but I didn't feel the need to change. But now, these past things just came to the fore and caused a piling on effect so I'll be looking at alternatives. Drake has always been my probable number one choice even before this year.

I've always used Oct 15 as my dividing date to change software and upgrade hardware. Of course with what happened this past year, many had to make changes in Jan/Feb. I stuck it out and will continue to evaluate thru the spring and summer working on extensions.

Guest Taxed

After this year's experiences and stories, anyone who doesn't have a secondary vendor lined up and ready to go on day 1 of the next tax season has no one to blame but themselves. This applies to those who had problems and to those who didn't. No excuses and no sympathy in 2014, regardless of how it shapes up.

Absolutely. I learned my lesson the hard way and I am NOT going to let myself get in this position again trusting one software vendor. I will be making arrangements to have a backup option, most likely pay per return or one of the inexpensive ones (purchased when season starts, no early renewal).

Thsi year I had TaxAct and Intuit pay per return as backup. Just used it initially for a few very early returns while I was getting setup.

I agree JohnH. This past year caught a lot of us off guard. I didn't have the early problems and really didn't have serious problems. But I did have some minor problems and it seems the program is slower than ever. There have been minor things in the past I didn't like but I didn't feel the need to change. But now, these past things just came to the fore and caused a piling on effect so I'll be looking at alternatives. Drake has always been my probable number one choice even before this year.

I've always used Oct 15 as my dividing date to change software and upgrade hardware. Of course with what happened this past year, many had to make changes in Jan/Feb. I stuck it out and will continue to evaluate thru the spring and summer working on extensions.

It seems to me that the wisest course would be to evaluate other software during the off-season by preparing some extension returns or even re-doing some typical returns from the regular season with several alternative vendors' products. Then after selecting the backup vendor, I'd tell them they're going to be my alternate IF they will let me use their conversion program during the off-season. With conversion complete, the decision to choose whether to use ATX or the alternate as my primary could then wait until the last minute.

But even if I decided to stay with ATX as my primary (I won't, but I know some of you will) I'd still buy the backup program on a pay-per-return basis. Running some of my low-to-moderate complexity returns on a stand-alone computer would keep me (or someone in my office) proficient on the backup program. And the higher the number of returns my office prepared, the more obsessive I'd be about this entire process.

• Like 1

Well, I for one decided to make a change going forward. I ordered Proseries on 4/17 and will do the rest of my returns this year on the new program now that the rush of the seasons is over. I ended 4/15 with 477 returns done. ATX made this tax year very difficult

but like most made the decision to tough it out. I expect to do about 100 - 150 additional returns from now to the end of the year. When I first ordered ATX about 10 years ago this is the same way I went about it. By 2014 I should be fully up to speed on Proseries. I've done so far 3 returns in the new package and find it a very good transition.

August @ ADGFinancial.com

Guest Taxed

For folks choosing Drake for next season it would be very prudent to ask the drake folks point blank if they are going to do a revamp of their software. As you all know the Drake interface is quite old. It works but some executive may have a bright idea to improve it close to the tax season start and then the same problem repeats.

As many of you posted that you would be evaluating different software this summer. May I suggest that we get a separate section started for software evaluations so that we all can benefit.

I am planning to spend a lot of time at the IRS tax forums talking to different software vendors, and get a contact to discuss pointed questions. Gone are the days of grabbing a CD and running some sample returns!

Learn to use the Macros for repetitive tasks. They are easy to write and test, and they greatly speed up your data entry when you need to enter the same info in different returns. For example, the name and address of various charities for the 8283.

Drake provides several macros, and you can create your own.

I have macros to answer the foreign interest questions, a macro to insert my PIN and the clients' PINs,and a macro to identify Forms 1065 as SMLLC (and prevent filing it since it is only needed to flow into the State Tax return). I have one that is needed for my PIN signature in the case of someone who opts out of e-filing. I have another one for filing an extension request with zero payment.

I have several others that are more-or-less unique to my needs.

I even created one to fill out most of the EIC due diligence questions--although I don't do EIC returns.

Another feature is the Client status manager: In addition to the ones Drake provides, you can add one to indicate that you mailed it to the client, you e-mailed it to the client, your client is paper-filing, an extension has been requested. The CSM has a column for your billing, and one for payment received which you can enter and a column for balance due from the client.

You can create and print reports indicating name, address, SSN, e-mail address and telephone number of clients.

There are so many features that I'm still learning and making use of new ones every year.

The downside of all of the above is that it takes a while to learn to implement them.

Also, you can use Drake's CWU to keep up with monthly, quarterly and annual payroll totals and e-file 940s, 941s, W-2s and 1099s. CWU can also be used for bookkeeping work, but I would not recommend it since it is almost like having to enter everything like a general journal entry.

Every preparer will have different needs for software. There is NO "one size fits all" fit for software. Either way, at the firm, it is a very difficult decision to make with the volume of clients we have. It is NOT an option to re-enter all from scratch. Changing software will mean conversion. Conversion means "mostly correct." Conversion means that most carryover information won't. Conversion means scrutinizing every detail of every return.

We are going to have to scrutinize every return if ATX fixes its software. Do we add conversion and a learning curve that is far more than just how to input information. Since 2002, we have learned how ATX transfers information, all the nuances of the worksheets for certain fields, the "put it here, not there" things. If we only had 500 or less clients, much different issues.

Staying with ATX is still a viable option for our firm. We have many clients with lots of assets and carryover infromation from many years. Unless you are a firm with over 1,000 clients, you cannot relate to this set of circumstances to consider.

Drake provides several macros, and you can create your own.

I have macros to answer the foreign interest questions, a macro to insert my PIN and the clients' PINs,and a macro to identify Forms 1065 as SMLLC (and prevent filing it since it is only needed to flow into the State Tax return). I have one that is needed for my PIN signature in the case of someone who opts out of e-filing. I have another one for filing an extension request with zero payment.

I have several others that are more-or-less unique to my needs.

I even created one to fill out most of the EIC due diligence questions--although I don't do EIC returns.

Another feature is the Client status manager: In addition to the ones Drake provides, you can add one to indicate that you mailed it to the client, you e-mailed it to the client, your client is paper-filing, an extension has been requested. The CSM has a column for your billing, and one for payment received which you can enter and a column for balance due from the client.

You can create and print reports indicating name, address, SSN, e-mail address and telephone number of clients.

There are so many features that I'm still learning and making use of new ones every year.

The downside of all of the above is that it takes a while to learn to implement them.

Also, you can use Drake's CWU to keep up with monthly, quarterly and annual payroll totals and e-file 940s, 941s, W-2s and 1099s. CWU can also be used for bookkeeping work, but I would not recommend it since it is almost like having to enter everything like a general journal entry.

Howsome ever, I understand the word macro but I would not even to begin to understand how to create a "macro". why would I buy a software program to do a job that I have to do workarounds like I did with ATX this year. I tried Drake last summer and after the seminar and all that I could not even begin a return and then discovered that it would not prepare my transaction tax reports that I do monthly. I could do those by hand but at the same price for an all inclusive prep program that does not think like I do?

Refusing to learn something new doesn't render it ineffective. Macros allow you to customize & automate repetitive tasks which may be unique to your practice or to your way of doing things. They add to the functionality of the program. There are many Drake users who never use them - it's a take-it-or-leave-it option. But most Drake users who are willing to take the time to learn seem to quickly jump on the bandwagon once they discover what macros can do.

I found them to be simple to write and highly functional, but that's because I already knew the capability of macros from using them in Excel and Access. I began using macros the first week I began using Drake and they are one of the many features that locked me into the program. Like many other Drake features, they help speed up the preparation of returns. And since we are selling our expertise measured in time, speed equals money.

• Like 1