ATX Community

For Our Northern Members Getting Arctic Blasts

kcjenkins

You will see some people will scrape their blacktop with their snowblower. Looks nice when it is dry, but slippery with freezing rain.

We always leave an inch of snow on the driveway so that it is not that slippery when it freezes. You want to hear that crunch when you step on it to know that it is not slippery.

On a serious note, for those of us getting drenched with rain today, all that standing water will freeze into solid ice tonight or tomorrow morning.

Just picked up another bucket of ice melt (was on sale at ACE hardware). We will need that.

On another serious note, it was really just the tequila. I don't have any moonshine.

You can legally purchase moonshine now. Comes in all different flavors. Not that I have tried it, but my son bought a quart to see what it was like. (Powerful) Filled with cherries, and from what I heard, just eating one of the cherries would warm you up on a day like this. We presently have -27 degrees.

You will see some people will scrape their blacktop with their snowblower. Looks nice when it is dry, but slippery with freezing rain.

We always leave an inch of snow on the driveway so that it is not that slippery when it freezes. You want to hear that crunch when you step on it to know that it is not slippery.

What is a snowblower? :P

• Like 1

What is a snowblower? :P

Gene in Alabama, I am sure there are many people who have never seen a snowblower, just like folks in my area have no idea what an air boat is?

Here is a pic of my Ariens snowblower. You got to keep all body parts away from that spinning meat grinder in the front!

post-1613-0-44605400-1389024235_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Our power went out on a recent freezing weather situation. We had a gas fireplace that provided some heat. The big problem was that we live on the second floor of a condo and the lights went off at 3:30 A.M. and the emergency lighting in the stairway only lasts for three hours--so when I wanted to go downstairs I was afraid to attempt it in the dark.

I had no flashlight, so after that episode, I bought three flashlights.

Up to 54F here today but the drop is starting. Tonight's low will be 14F and that will also be tomorrow's high. The snow is gone from the driveway, courtesy of the rain. Fortunately that has stopped and with any luck we will not be one sheet of ice tomorrow. If so, though, the sun will melt/evaporate/sublimate the ice during the day.

As for Taxed's snow blower -- nice! We also have an Ariens and while it works great I wish we could have bought one size up. Instead of those handles, ours has bales to hold and my hands go numb with the grip required. But a bigger one won't fit inside the garage to store.

When I get to feeling like winter is a bit too much, I go check out the forecast and current status for Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, Canada (old DEW station WWAAYY up north).

Current conditions -22F; wind chill -50F. Maybe two hours of daylight (sunrise 11:30 AM sunset 1:30 PM). Blowing and drifting snow. NO advisories; this is "normal" winter weather for them.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:00000.1.71925

• Like 1

I check with my sister in our old family home outside Chicago and feel better. Although, her streets are flat and straight and get plowed fast while I drive on narrow, windy, hilly roads that get plowed if the school buses are running! I think I'll start checking Catherine's link instead.

• Like 2

I wish I had some ice cleats. Would have helped.

Had to walk gingerly with my snow boots and step on dry spots.

i wish school would cancel tomorrow because the kids who walk to school will not make it!.