ATX Community

Dual Monitor Question

taxtrio

Dell and my techie did all the thinking, but my Dell Win 7 is a few years old. Default was two monitors, but I ordered it with a video card that does up to four monitors. Dell did NOT include all the right connections, so techie did have to order one more part for me before we could run three monitors. I love it. I have two portrait so I don't have to scroll down to see a full tax return page -- middle for data entry and right for government forms, or right for current year and middle for prior, or repeat on the right for client while I work on or read from middle or.... Left is landscape with Outlook on the right, often with client email and Chrome on the left with a couple of client mail tabs and this tab with my boards, and a tab for IntelliConnect or client's .pdf documents or,,,, I now want an upper row with three more for a total of six!

Which dual video card would you suggest for my Dell Inspiron 660, windows 7 64 bit, Intel Core i5 processor? (VGA monitor, blue end on the plug). Bought through Office Max last June.

I changed my mind. I don't feel comfortable recommending a video card. I believe it has a PCI Express 2.0 slot for a video card, but it's a slim line case, and so standard sized video cards are physically too tall to fit.

There are special short cards that could fit, but I've never used one, and I'd be too afraid to recommend something that will end up not fitting in your computer case.

Best (easiest?) bet is probably to go the USB adapter route. Just make sure that the other end of the adapter matches up with the port on your monitor.

711e55ffd5d5508a794161f8eaf7c355fd07d14a

• Like 1

I changed my mind. I don't feel comfortable recommending a video card. I believe it has a PCI Express 2.0 slot for a video card, but it's a slim line case, and so standard sized video cards are physically too tall to fit.

There are special short cards that could fit, but I've never used one, and I'd be too afraid to recommend something that will end up not fitting in your computer case.

Best (easiest?) bet is probably to go the USB adapter route. Just make sure that the other end of the adapter matches up with the port on your monitor.

711e55ffd5d5508a794161f8eaf7c355fd07d14a

Agree with Eric on this one. Dell is so very D_m__d proprietary and that is the reason I do not buy from them.

At what point do we get information overload with too many monitors? I use two and could see a use for a third for the clients to see (but then they'd see me correcting typos or get the idea that I'm just inputting numbers and might decide to try it themselves). It's quick to switch one monitor to another process like email or browser--just click the open program on the taskbar. I think I'd prefer to do that than have six monitors staring at me. After awhile you'd think you were working on Wall Street with tickers flashing all around you. I believe the scientists who are now finding that multitasking makes people less efficient and less accurate.

A client-facing monitor could be a disaster for preparers who finish a return in 15 minutes but don't want the client to think that's all the time it took, so they continue to chat for another 15 minutes while banging away on the keyboard (answering emails, checking the weather--the clients have no idea). I love my two, but I think that's my personal limit.

• Like 4

At what point do we get information overload with too many monitors? I use two and could see a use for a third for the clients to see (but then they'd see me correcting typos or get the idea that I'm just inputting numbers and might decide to try it themselves). It's quick to switch one monitor to another process like email or browser--just click the open program on the taskbar. I think I'd prefer to do that than have six monitors staring at me. After awhile you'd think you were working on Wall Street with tickers flashing all around you. I believe the scientists who are now finding that multitasking makes people less efficient and less accurate.

A client-facing monitor could be a disaster for preparers who finish a return in 15 minutes but don't want the client to think that's all the time it took, so they continue to chat for another 15 minutes while banging away on the keyboard (answering emails, checking the weather--the clients have no idea). I love my two, but I think that's my personal limit.

I do NOT let clients see my computer screen. The third monitor would be positioned in the center and turned vertical. Imagine how much of a page you could see...

This is the setup my software engineer son uses.

I have three monitors and my desktop is too crowed. Last year in the middle of tax season, because of the 2012 ATX problems, I bought another screaming fast computer and just loaded ATX to get through the season. Only program on it at the time.

My original computer was and still is fine for our other applications, and partly because of licensing our software, I still have both computers and three monitors. I tried a keyboard splitter, but that was tedious, so you can imagine how much desk area is devoted to technology.

I'm used to it now, and not sure I would go back.

• Like 1

The only thing I let the clients see on "their" monitor is either their Qbooks file as I work with them to post changes, or the tax estimate screen from ATX.

I don't do tax returns in front of the them, and never will. " Thank you for the info, come back and get the completed return in a week."

Rich

• Like 2

I use my 3rd monitor for clients but only some things. It's turned off most of the time. When a client questions something, I'll show the pdf copy of the return or last year's return or some of the client documents I have scanned in as pdf. Easier than thumbing thru original paper docs. Also like Richcpaman, I use the planning tool sometimes live with the client. Most of the time, I just have a printed copy of that for the client. Also, when I have the 3rd monitor on for the client, I move anything on my 1st monitor over to my 2nd monitor (click and drag) that I don't want the client to see.

I've also used the 3rd monitor for a quick training session in QB. I really don't use the 3rd monitor much. For most clients, it just isn't necessary. But it is handy at times. And I don't do returns while the client is there. They drop off info and come back for the return. I tell new callers this up front.

Although we are small, we have separate "interview/conference rooms" when meeting and preparing tax returns with our clients. There we have dual monitors that mirror each other. I will turn their monitor off when navigating in sensitive areas.

There is just too much going on in my regular work area that I need to keep private from our clients.

I thought would toss in my .02 in on this subject.

I use a program called Display Fusion.

It adds a taskbar to each monitor and i can move windows to the various montiors using hotkeys.

It can display different images for the wallpaper and rotate those images. Who gets tired of the same boring black. It works up to 10 monitors and allows for different resolutions for each monitor not to mention landscape or portrait view.

The program is not free but Lifetime license.

Website is http://www.displayfusion.com/

• Like 1

I don't prepare returns with clients sitting here. But, I do have them sit down to review their return before they sign, if they're local. That's when I twist one monitor to the client to view the government forms view, especially if there are still questions that could change things so I haven't printed yet. Other times when I know/think the return is final and have printed the client copy, we review from paper or a monitor. If a client is here for part of my prep time, all monitors surround me and do not face the client.

3 MONITORS current year, prior year and QB file, or Netflix hulu etc.

Keep in mind that with this setup you cannot depreciate your computer 100% neither can you deduct 100% for internet access.

Sure you can, as long as the hulu is just for your client's use! Perfectly OK to provide waiting clients with entertainment while they are in your office. No different than having a TV in your waiting room.

You, after all, are way too busy to watch TV during tax season. ;)

• Like 3

I have three monitors and my desktop is too crowed. Last year in the middle of tax season, because of the 2012 ATX problems, I bought another screaming fast computer and just loaded ATX to get through the season. Only program on it at the time.

My original computer was and still is fine for our other applications, and partly because of licensing our software, I still have both computers and three monitors. I tried a keyboard splitter, but that was tedious, so you can imagine how much desk area is devoted to technology.

I'm used to it now, and not sure I would go back.

Take a look at : www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

It is Mouse without Borders is a product that makes you the captain of your computer fleet by allowing you to control up to four computers from a single mouse and keyboard.

Works great with win 7 for my desktop and laptop when running both. Hoping it will work when I have my dual monitors setup.

Display Fusion works with up to TEN monitors? How could anyone pay attention? Between the constant phone calls, returns piling in, and clients sitting at the desk, I have more than enough stimulation. I don't think I could get out of bed in the morning if I knew I had to face all the usual commotion and ten monitors. This must be some kind of trick computers are playing to make the human brain frazzle so they can finally take over the world.

• Like 1

I have four monitors, which are connected to three computers. I'm going to add a fourth monitor soon, but haven't decided whether to run it from the computer which presently has two monitors or whether to add it to one of the single-monitor setups. I wouldn't be able to function efficiently with less than 3 active monitors, and this is without having a monitor for clients to view.

What do you think of the StarTech USB to VGA External video Card Multi Monitor Adapter USB2VGAE2? Found it on newegg.com

Taxtrio

I can't speak to the quality of it since I've never had one, but as long as the monitor you're looking to use with it has a VGA port, and as long as the resolution of the monitor is one of the supported resolutions of this device, then it should work for you.

Standard(16/32 bit): 1600x1200, 1400x1050, 1280x1024, 1280x960, 1152x864, 1024x768, 800x600

Widescreen(16/32 bit): 1680x1050, 1400x900, 1280x800, 1280x768, 1152x864, 1024x768, 800x600

The Amazon page for this item has a little more info about the device, and a lot of reviews if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Multi-Monitor-External-Adapter/dp/B002FJQXXC/

I currently have 3 monitors. big ones. 2are on end (portrait), and 1 regular or landscape. I luv them and it was well worth the cost of the new graphics card. My it guy says he is jealous. My cards better than his gaming card. But I don't see the need for a forth.

So tell me how would I use the forth monitor.

The one problem is when you get it help on line. Help can't see all the monitors.

I currently have 3 monitors. big ones. 2are on end (portrait), and 1 regular or landscape. I luv them and it was well worth the cost of the new graphics card. My it guy says he is jealous. My cards better than his gaming card. But I don't see the need for a forth.

So tell me how would I use the forth monitor.

The one problem is when you get it help on line. Help can't see all the monitors.

You need better help online. When there are multiple monitors being accessed remotely, on the side of the screen is a small green bar with a tiny arrow pointing to the next screen. If you are on the left most screen, the arrow is on the right. If you are on the middle screen, there are arrows on both sides, if you are on the right most screen, the arrow is on the left.

I access multiple monitor systems remotely on a regular basis.