ATX Community

Dual Monitor Question

taxtrio

I am trying to set-up dual monitors this year. Windows 7 Machine. Two Dell Monitors.

I have one monitor connection on my PC; got adapter cable that allowed me to attach both monitors to my PC. Both are up and running... but the point of my having two monitors is to be able to have two programs running but displaying one program on each monitor. I must need to change a setting somewhere ... but where? Right now I am just getting a "mirror image" of the main monitor on the second monitor. Can't seem to get it to show one program on one monitor and a second program on the second monitor. Help!

Taxtrio, here is Microsoft's video of how to set it up : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Move-windows-between-multiple-monitors?fwLinkID=162499

I found this by going to my start menu, clicking Help & Support, and then searching that section for "Dual Monitors". There's a little more info there, but not much.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

when you hit change display settings you should get a window with the 2 monitors showing , 4th line down is multiple displays with a drop down next to it

That dropdown is for the multiple displays is where you should choose "extend these displays". Click OK and then if it looks as you want it, click "keep changes".

Then, you have to drag the windows over to the second monitor. Click and hold on the title bar to drag them.

It's all in that video from microsoft that I posted.

FIRST!!

You must install an video card that supports TWO monitors. All the stuff you have been trying is useless until you do.

Once you install the video card, you can then configure the two monitors.

FIRST!!

You must install an video card that supports TWO monitors. All the stuff you have been trying is useless until you do.

Once you install the video card, you can then configure the two monitors.

My answer wins by facts!!

• Like 1

That makes sense... I have a new Dell bought last summer... only one "plug" available on back of CPU... So apparently the "splitter" cable I bought is just good for things like presentations. Same image on both monitors.

That is why I my configuration doesn't work. It only shows one monitor. So I have to purchase and install a dual monitor video card... this will be a new experience for me! I have never upgraded a computer before. Everyone says it is a simple install.

We will see how handy I am...

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I have been warned that there is only one problem with working Dual Monitors.... once you do you never want to go back to one!

• Like 1

Some additional questions on dual monitors ... (if this needs to be put somewhere else, please do).

According to my computers spec's (both desk top and laptop) they will run dual monitors.

Now, does this mean I can run one VGA cable to one monitor and one HDMI or maybe a DVI cable to a second monitor? From the posts above, I believe that simply putting in a splitter (for any of the options - HDMI, VGA, DVI, etc.) would just allow the same "screen" on the various monitors but to get capabilities for each screen to show something different --- the splitter does not work. Therefore they would need to have a separate "output" to each monitor --- do they have to be the same type or can they be different? :scratch_head:

As I am just going to try this and do not want to spend a lot of money (YES - read -- VERY cheap), what might be the basic specifications for a reasonable monitor; i.e. LED, HD, LCD, plasma; 20 ms refresh - 8 ms, is higher better or is it the other way?; 1280 x 1024 // 1680 x 1050 (other variants?); aspect ratio 4:3 ??; contrast ratio 500:1 ??; whatever else that may be important ...

I think I know some of the answers BUT contrary to what my spouse thinks --- I "might :rolleyes: have been wrong" once or twice with what I thought was correct. :unsure: Therefore, any good shared knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks!

That makes sense... I have a new Dell bought last summer... only one "plug" available on back of CPU... So apparently the "splitter" cable I bought is just good for things like presentations. Same image on both monitors.

That is why I my configuration doesn't work. It only shows one monitor. So I have to purchase and install a dual monitor video card... this will be a new experience for me! I have never upgraded a computer before. Everyone says it is a simple install.

We will see how handy I am...

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I have been warned that there is only one problem with working Dual Monitors.... once you do you never want to go back to one!

If you give us the model of your dell, well might be able to suggest a video card that is compatible.

And if you're feeling adventurous, you could probably install it yourself, but at the very least, you won't get fleeced by a local computer shop trying to sell you a high end gaming video card from two years ago.

Nah, then you'll want three. So.....I only have two inputs for monitors on my computer. Can I use a splitter/adapter to get a third up there? And is there any type of specialized video card to go from two to three monitors?

Yes, such animal exists and you can have 3 or 4 monitors if you want.

You can pair each monitor that you have with two other monitors using 2 Y video adapters. Keep in mind that you will have only two outputs and even with three monitors, you will only have two different view and the third one will be a replica of the other two.

Nah, then you'll want three. So.....I only have two inputs for monitors on my computer. Can I use a splitter/adapter to get a third up there? And is there any type of specialized video card to go from two to three monitors?

You will need to add at least one video card. You will need a video card that supports 4 monitors (yes, they are out there) because most likely, the motherboard will detect the new video card and disable the two video connections you are now using.

Not only will this give you the third monitor, but room to grow to 4.

Some additional questions on dual monitors ... (if this needs to be put somewhere else, please do).

According to my computers spec's (both desk top and laptop) they will run dual monitors.

Now, does this mean I can run one VGA cable to one monitor and one HDMI or maybe a DVI cable to a second monitor? From the posts above, I believe that simply putting in a splitter (for any of the options - HDMI, VGA, DVI, etc.) would just allow the same "screen" on the various monitors but to get capabilities for each screen to show something different --- the splitter does not work. Therefore they would need to have a separate "output" to each monitor --- do they have to be the same type or can they be different? :scratch_head:

As I am just going to try this and do not want to spend a lot of money (YES - read -- VERY cheap), what might be the basic specifications for a reasonable monitor; i.e. LED, HD, LCD, plasma; 20 ms refresh - 8 ms, is higher better or is it the other way?; 1280 x 1024 // 1680 x 1050 (other variants?); aspect ratio 4:3 ??; contrast ratio 500:1 ??; whatever else that may be important ...

I think I know some of the answers BUT contrary to what my spouse thinks --- I "might :rolleyes: have been wrong" once or twice with what I thought was correct. :unsure: Therefore, any good shared knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks!

I haven't read the whole thing but let me tell you that laptops but default can handle two monitors at least and you will be able to see whatever you want on each monitor and they will not be replica. The same is true with computer with video cards with two outlets.

I think the simplest way to go is to get an adaptor and not a splitter. My old computer (XP) had only one monitor port on the back. I bought a 2nd monitor thinking all I had to do was plug it into another port on the back. I had looked on the back and mistakenly thought I had another port. But when I bought the 2nd monitor, I realized it wasn't a port for a monitor. I bought an adaptor (not a splitter). The monitor plugged into the adaptor and the adaptor plugged into the computer with a USB port. The adaptor came with a CD app to install. That put an icon on my tool bar and allowed me to set the 2nd monitor to be used as an extension or a mirror. I don't know what video components were already in the computer but I didn't need to install any other video cards.

My current office desktop (W7) has two monitor ports. I have 3 monitors. The 2nd monitor is set as an extension of the 1st. The 1st and 3rd are connected to a splitter and the 3rd is a mirror of the 1st. I use the 3rd for clients to view.

My laptop (W8) has a HDMI port and I have a 2nd monitor I plug into the laptop.

I think the simplest way to go is to get an adaptor and not a splitter. My old computer (XP) had only one monitor port on the back. I bought a 2nd monitor thinking all I had to do was plug it into another port on the back. I had looked on the back and mistakenly thought I had another port. But when I bought the 2nd monitor, I realized it wasn't a port for a monitor. I bought an adaptor (not a splitter). The monitor plugged into the adaptor and the adaptor plugged into the computer with a USB port. The adaptor came with a CD app to install. That put an icon on my tool bar and allowed me to set the 2nd monitor to be used as an extension or a mirror. I don't know what video components were already in the computer but I didn't need to install any other video cards.

My current office desktop (W7) has two monitor ports. I have 3 monitors. The 2nd monitor is set as an extension of the 1st. The 1st and 3rd are connected to a splitter and the 3rd is a mirror of the 1st. I use the 3rd for clients to view.

The new computer I just brought has 2 adaptors if I wanted to run four monitors. I have three now, set up like Randall has. Two 27" monitors for me, one 22" for my clients to look at (slaved to #2).

I have to purchase some serious support brackets to get another two monitors set up, however, and that has slowed me down.

My monitors are not against the wall, so it is kinda limiting...

Rich