ATX Community

Why do you use "this" software?

Pacun

I use Medlin for only one client who has Payroll. Don't have any more left, but, yes, I like that little program. I nearly didn't renew until he told me he would have payroll workers again this year. He is a laborer with no benefits so generally it is one or two payroll employees at a time; but several throughout the year. Medlin is worth that kind of hassle. ATX for taxes and payroll reports and a very simple version of Quicken (not QuickBooks) for Accounting. Keeping it simple meets my needs as well as my income.

ProSystem fx for taxes. QB for my own payroll and for those clients who use QB for their bookkeeping and for 1099s. I have sent larger, multi-state clients to Paychex for payroll. But, just last year used People's United Bank's online payroll for a small company and love it; I can do everything online, but have a real live support rep.

ATX for taxes, 1099's, W-2's unless it doesn't live up to it's guarentees, QB for those who insist on it , Quicken for all new small businesses and any I can convert from QB to Quicken - who needs QB?, Medlin for payroll accounts. Drake I believe will be the back-up if needed - sure hope not!

• Like 1

ATX for taxes, 1099's, W-2's unless it doesn't live up to it's guarentees, QB for those who insist on it , Quicken for all new small businesses and any I can convert from QB to Quicken - who needs QB?, Medlin for payroll accounts. Drake I believe will be the back-up if needed - sure hope not!

This is the first time I have ever heard - who needs QB? from anyone other than myself. I use Quicken for all small businesses; and some not so small. If they want to use QB on their own, they bring me in the printouts. The final numbers are what counts. I like to keep it simple as possible.

This is the first time I have ever heard - who needs QB? from anyone other than myself. I use Quicken for all small businesses; and some not so small. If they want to use QB on their own, they bring me in the printouts. The final numbers are what counts. I like to keep it simple as possible.

I have never been able to figure out how to produce a balance sheet, AR and AP reports or reconciling retained earnings in Quicken, mind sharing how to print out those reports? I am asking this question, because I have dealt with corporate clients that walk in with their quickens reports and I have to manually prepare financial statements to prepare the tax return.

Thanks

I am currently using Quicken 10 Deluxe. There are lots and lots of reports in the Report drop-down list. The main report I use is the Bank Cash Flow Report, but I have done the bookkeeping so I know what is supposed to be in there. There are times when you have to go elsewhere for some information. I have never done a corp, but do several partnerships. You won't get anything out on a report that has not been entered into the program. I use Quicken 10 for Dummies as a guide. Balance sheets are not always required for partnerships, especially family owned. However, I prepare them anyway. Some things, such as depreciation, flow right from ATX.

I use QB for my accounting clients and gave up the payroll a few years back. If I were to process payroll for a single client, I would use Medlin as I too like the software. I have used ATX in the past to prepare taxes and for about 9 years prior to CCH garbling them up. I have used taxworks (RedGear from TRX) for four years and after the blowout there last year switched to TaxSlayer Pro. I do like TaxSlayer Pro but they still are not offering the forms I need to complete CRUT returns. So, I had to switch again this year. Now I am using OneDesk and I have to tell everyone it appears to be really good software. Yes, I am going thru a learing curve with inputting but have not had installation problems or update problems at all. As far as fixed asset, FAM through QB was good but I found out that the client could really screw this up on their end so I have reverted back to spreadsheets especially for my rental clients. I know this is alot of extra work but it works for me at this time. I don't want to trust a new software with depreciation until I really test drive it.

BTW- I just learned of some really neat features that OneDesk has with inserting notes in the tax return. You can set a note with a reminder that will pop up at you when you select the return completion. That is a plus for me. Also, the ability to scan documents and keep them with the return is another plus. Keeps the paper file smaller.