ATX Community

It's not my place to judge or preach...but I'm so angry

Janitor Bob

I know it is not my place to judge or preach to clients, but sometimes it makes me soooo angry. Single mom client quit her cleaning job in June because they made her work nights...which, in her words, "did not allow for any fun time". She had income of approx. $10,000 for the year. Started her own "business" making jewelry....although admittedly, she did not advertise or actually try to sell any of the jewelry that she made. Nonetheless, she proceeded to tell me her utilities and other household expenses.

She only paid in $460 in Fed tax for the year....and with her education credit for her kid's college and EIC, her hand-out...I mean refund is approx. $4600.....not bad, I thought.

AND SHE WAS UPSET! She feels that that is just not enough....."How am I supposed to live on that?" she screams. I attempted to politely inform her that tax refunds are not a social safety net such as food stamps and welfare..and that a refund is not targeted to her social situation. However, then she started on a rant about why I would not let her deduct all of her "business expenses"...such as repairs to her car so she could go to the wal-mart to buy jewelry-making supplies.

She also tells me she got offered a job at Burger King, but turned it down because it was too degrading...yes she said that.

I did not just make up my ATX screen name...I earned the "Janitor" designation over several years proudly working one of those "degrading" jobs at night to make ends meet.

I did not even try to explain that even if her expenses were deductible, they could not further lower her taxable income which was already zero.

I can tolerate tax-ignorance....after all....that is why people pay us...just like I am car-ignorant and pay to have my oil changed. but I am so sick of these people who think they know taxes and feel that society "owes them" more despite the fact that they are already living off of my tax dollars because they just do not want to work hard or do something yucky like clean out a deep fryer....or, God forbid, work inconvenient hours.

I don't mind the occasional struggling parent who works hard and get a nice EIC...yes...some do deserve it....but that is the exception...the above seems to be the rule.

OK..rant over...I'll climb down off of my soap box now.

:wall:

• Like 10

I know it is not my place to judge or preach to clients, but sometimes it makes me soooo angry. Single mom client quit her cleaning job in June because they made her work nights...which, in her words, "did not allow for any fun time". She had income of approx. $10,000 for the year. Started her own "business" making jewelry....although admittedly, she did not advertise or actually try to sell any of the jewelry that she made. Nonetheless, she proceeded to tell me her utilities and other household expenses.

She only paid in $460 in Fed tax for the year....and with her education credit for her kid's college and EIC, her hand-out...I mean refund is approx. $4600.....not bad, I thought.

AND SHE WAS UPSET! She feels that that is just not enough....."How am I supposed to live on that?" she screams. I attempted to politely inform her that tax refunds are not a social safety net such as food stamps and welfare..and that a refund is not targeted to her social situation. However, then she started on a rant about why I would not let her deduct all of her "business expenses"...such as repairs to her car so she could go to the wal-mart to buy jewelry-making supplies.

She also tells me she got offered a job at Burger King, but turned it down because it was too degrading...yes she said that.

I did not just make up my ATX screen name...I earned the "Janitor" designation over several years proudly working one of those "degrading" jobs at night to make ends meet.

I did not even try to explain that even if her expenses were deductible, they could not further lower her taxable income which was already zero.

I can tolerate tax-ignorance....after all....that is why people pay us...just like I am car-ignorant and pay to have my oil changed. but I am so sick of these people who think they know taxes and feel that society "owes them" more despite the fact that they are already living off of my tax dollars because they just do not want to work hard or do something yucky like clean out a deep fryer....or, God forbid, work inconvenient hours.

I don't mind the occasional struggling parent who works hard and get a nice EIC...yes...some do deserve it....but that is the exception...the above seems to be the rule.

OK..rant over...I'll climb down off of my soap box now.

:wall:

Did you show her the door and give her a business card from H&R Block? I am afraid that is how I would have handled her. Please say you did not give her discounted fees.... I too, started my working career with several "degrading jobs." Dishwasher, Stockyard stall cleaner, farm hand bailing hay etc. I also have no tolerance for those "entitled" people that irresponsible parents have raised.

• Like 2

This woman is 52 and her daughter went to the same private school as mine...the only difference being that hers was free through church grants and I had to work nights as a janitor to pay for my daughter's...she was entitled then and still is today....I had hoped that moving out-of-state with a guy she met on-line, in a surprisingly unsuccessful relationship and moving back to Ohio would have changed her....nope.

I was not polite to her. I charged her full price plus an adder for making me angry. We'll see if she comes back and pays and signs...or if she wants her papers back to go elsewhere...either way, she is not welcomed in my office....Lila the Giant Dog does not like her.

• Like 5

Call her to tell her you'll deduct her ratio of actual expenses for her car's business use. That should reduce her income and lower her EIC and drive her away for good.

Did one yesterday with nearly $10,000 in refunds from IRS and CT. Her mother cares for the three kids frequently for free. Her boyfriend contributes financially, but apparently not more than 50% of housing costs (lives elsewhere). Last year she bought a car with her refund; this year it's vacations. If they were married, that $10,000 would disappear. They will probably never marry. If I divorced my husband...

• Like 5

This one here, happens to be a preacher, kid had $17k in tuition and fees, $23k in grants and scholarships.
Me: I need what you paid for books and any other class-related expenses not on this form, cause your kid made money here if the form is correct.
Preach: Yeah, but he went “abroad” in January, and that “tuition” is not on here. We paid it in November.
Me: Well, this box right here says that the 17k tuition includes January – March 2014 expenses.
Cricket sounds.
Bottom line: He is wanting to call a bunch of travel expenses tuition.
I want to strangle this guy. Has a ton of Housing Allowance; FAFSA and the tax laws are very, very, good to him. (He fills out his own FAFSA, I don't even know if HA goes on it, so don't rail on me about it.) I looked at him and said, “You know, we are talking about this like it’s a bad thing that your kid made money to go to school, and travel to boot. This is a great problem you have here.”
(Yes, I told him to print out the details entire record of charges and payments.)
  • Like 2

Yep, the thing that bothers me is not that someone gets the benefits of our 'safety net', but that so many of them not only take it for granted with no gratitude, but actually gripe about it not being enough. When the 'safety net' turns into a hammock, you know it's grown too much, or needs repair.

• Like 4

I think the way big box preparers advertisement it seems every single tax payer is entitled to a huge refund, I try to school my clients and let them know its a marketing gimmick, I tell them no one is going to get you more money back then you are entitled to if it is prepared correctly, and if they do, then they are putting information that can hurt when you get caught. From all the years in preparing tax returns, only one picked up their papers and went somewhere else.

I had my blow out last week. Had a client in the office that I was helping with bookkeeping issue. This client had an appointment and we were trying to find a discrepancy. In walks (without an appointment) another client who was extremely upset and couldn't understand why she owed this year. Went on and on about this and then suddenly saw my other client sitting working on her computer and then got all upset because we were discussing her financial info in front of someone else. Kept repeating over and over how uncomfortable she felt. Finally she left, called back later that evening and started in again. In a very calm but firm voice I told her, yes I agree it was an unfortunate situations, however I told her you came in without an appointment, took my other clients valuable time, and you were the one that brought up the subject and kept speaking about it even after becoming aware that she was sitting there. She then says well, she was working on a computer (her own personal laptop) so I assumed she was working for you, I politely asked this client, have you ever known me to have someone working with me except my dad (who by the way passed away over 5 years ago)? After that it went silent, turns out she still likes me, almost apologized to me, and came back a couple of days later in a totally different frame of mind.

I sure hope that is the last one I get like that this year!

Rant Over!

• Like 2

I can tolerate tax-ignorance....after all....that is why people pay us

Well, they don't pay us very much. In my opinion, preparers who are upset about these clients might be more comfortable with different clients. Specialize in business returns or trusts or non-profits. Work for a big accounting firm that doesn't let anyone in the door for less than $500.

Ahhh, never mind. They probably get just as many who scream, "How am I supposed to live on that?"

Mrs. Preach said my hair looked good. I like HER. We are going to Wal-Mart on Feb 15, my favorite holiday: 50% off Chocolate Day.

Rita, you keep changing your avatar. For a while there, I thought you were the spokesperson for an insurance company.

And weren't you in Colorado before? What is with the TN address now.

Is that your daughter in the picture? If so, I have a son I would like to introduce her to.

But I am still afraid of you, so, maybe I shouldn't introduce my son to your daughter.......hmmmm

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 2

Rita, you keep changing your avatar. For a while there, I thought you were the spokesperson for an insurance company.

And weren't you in Colorado before? What is with the TN address now.

Is that your daughter in the picture? If so, I have a son I would like to introduce her to.

But I am still afraid of you, so, maybe I shouldn't introduce my son to your daughter.......hmmmm

Tom

Hollister, CA

Yes, that's my middle child, Erin. The boys don't pose for photos, but I'm working on them. The picture of us in the Flo from Progressive outfits was taken at our church's Fall Festival. I have always been in TN, that must be some other Rita in CO, and she must be the one to fear. I love you, Tom, you know that.

Yes, that's my middle child, Erin. The boys don't pose for photos, but I'm working on them. The picture of us in the Flo from Progressive outfits was taken at our church's Fall Festival. I have always been in TN, that must be some other Rita in CO, and she must be the one to fear. I love you, Tom, you know that.

Well, I am trying to talk my youngest son into applying to Vanderbilt, but he is not so keen on the idea. But if I can get him there, we will have to meet up at a Commodores football game. Love SEC football and Nashville, but I guess that is not a good enough reason for my son to spend 4 years there.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Well, I am trying to talk my youngest son into applying to Vanderbilt, but he is not so keen on the idea. But if I can get him there, we will have to meet up at a Commodores football game. Love SEC football and Nashville, but I guess that is not a good enough reason for my son to spend 4 years there.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Ok, my daughter is starting graduate school, in Nashville, in June. The stars are aligned. The only problem, she's older, and not a cougar. And that's EXACTLY what she would say here. Curses.