ATX Community

TaxAct

MAMalody

Taking into account that some (maybe me) may be moving to different software this year as a result of the changes in ATX, has any tried or have knowledge of TaxAct by 2nd Story?

Several years ago, when ATX had the massive e-file problems, I switched to TaxAct in mid-season. TaxAct has the look and feel (and perhaps some of the same authors) as the old Parsons TaxEdge. It is forms oriented, like ATX, but switching between forms is not as convenient. The client letters are fixed, and worthless. Support for some states is marginal. That being said, it is a solid product that will do the job very well for a majority of your 1040 returns. E-file pricing is high for small quantities, but their unadvertised $500 special (federal plus all states plus unlimited e-file) is now less than ATX 1040 Office. Conversion programs to or from TaxAct are non-existant. TaxAct is my choice unless I go for 1040 Office.

(My gut level problem with ATX is quality control. The sheer number of updates and the fact that I cannot trust that the paper version of the return matches the e-file.)

Taking into account that some (maybe me) may be moving to different software this year as a result of the changes in ATX, has any tried or have knowledge of TaxAct by 2nd Story?

Mike

I've used TaxAct for several years, for all 1040's. The program is reliable, easy to use, notifies you of updates available, and easilt transfers information from prior year TaxAct returns. I don't know if you can import ATX files. I have only tried Arizona and California state returns. They worked fine. Some forms aren't available. Don is right regarding conversion. So make sure you intend to use TaxAct for years to come.

How is TaxAct with regards to estate tax and estate income tax forms?

Also, all the IRS business forms such as 1120S, 1065, etc.?

I haven't used TaxAct for business or estate returns. But from what I've read, and understandably, it's not as good as the other, more expensive software. There is a forum that deals exclusively with TaxAct. I think its a Yahoo group. You may want to go there for more answers.

To be honest, I hate to even consider going anywhere else. I have enjoyed using ATX and don't want to change. It does everything I need. Having said that, I am concerned about my price increase for next year and even whether they will be here. The way the community was summarily removed does not sit well or feel right to me, so I have questions about whether ATX will be here for the 2007 tax year. This is why I am looking at other possible alternatives.

Mike

Well I bit the bullet and joined Tax Refund Express which uses Orrtax software. It cost me $ 299.00 + 29.95 for shipping. For that fee I get the following:

All income tax prep software, 1040, all business returns, estates, gift tax etc

All States

Free unlimited efiling

Bank products

W2 and 1099 program which includes all 941's etc for all states etc

Free conversion from ATX to Orrtax They do it for you

I just could not beat that price. I have used the demo disc and they are sending me the complete set for 2006 so I can finish up with my extensions and get some practise on it.

I am hoping I did not error in my decision.

My bottom line the last few years has been going down hill each year and I just had to cut costs somewhere.

Marge

Our office has not yet decided what to do. I have reservations about ATX because of the discontinuance of the community board 2 weeks before the end of tax season without warning, and because chat support was yanked right after that without warning. :angry: However, I don't want to be in a position where I am cutting off my nose to spite my face. We have only used ATX for two years. Prior to that we used TaxWise. I would probably return to TaxWise (since the reason we left was that they didn't seem responsive to customer feedback, and ATX no longer seems to be) but they were bought out by the same company. :unsure: We used Drake for one year, and while I think it is a good program, we had a tough time adjusting to input screens rather than working with forms. We used Total Tax Office, so I don't think we are really seeing a price increase this year. I think we will look around at least until the end of June... :rolleyes:

Received a disk from TaxSlayer Pro this week; so apparently the ATX word is definitely out. Even though my mind is pretty much made up, will take a look at this. I heard that this is a privately owned company, but so was Parsons, and money speaks! Hopefully, all of us will find our niche for the coming year.

Received a disk from TaxSlayer Pro this week; so apparently the ATX word is definitely out. Even though my mind is pretty much made up, will take a look at this. I heard that this is a privately owned company, but so was Parsons, and money speaks! Hopefully, all of us will find our niche for the coming year.

I'm not having any luck with anyone sending me a demo disc :-(. I've ordered from Drake, taxSlayer & proseries so far with no luck. At this rate I might not have a choice, but to remain with ATX just maybe upgrade to Max.

Bob, if you get anymore extra demos let me know!! :-)

Thanks!

Eli

Our office has not yet decided what to do. I have reservations about ATX because of the discontinuance of the community board 2 weeks before the end of tax season without warning, and because chat support was yanked right after that without warning. :angry: However, I don't want to be in a position where I am cutting off my nose to spite my face. We have only used ATX for two years. Prior to that we used TaxWise. I would probably return to TaxWise (since the reason we left was that they didn't seem responsive to customer feedback, and ATX no longer seems to be) but they were bought out by the same company. :unsure: We used Drake for one year, and while I think it is a good program, we had a tough time adjusting to input screens rather than working with forms. We used Total Tax Office, so I don't think we are really seeing a price increase this year. I think we will look around at least until the end of June... :rolleyes:

You have expressed my sentiments nearly exactly. While I no longer trust ATX since they are now operating under the cloak of their parent company, I am not going to do anything that results in hurting my business. I too am most familiar with, and prefer, the form input method. It makes little sense to me to "switch" to taxwise or another software operating under the same parent company as ATX.

I am still undecided as to which software to purchase, however, the decision will be a business one and not one made from emotion.

MARGE- Please let us know how the OrrTax conversion seems to be working when you get it. If there are free conversions out there, which are reasonably complete, then I will be in a much better position to jump ship ! Thanks

Bob:

You may have identified a unique marketing opportunity for savy software vendors. They offer free conversion prior to purchase, then the customer is poised to jump ship to them at any point without giving it a second thought if they are provoked.

As a matter of fact, given the right circumstances I might even be willing to pay a reasonable fee to convert with the understanding that the fee would be deducted from the software purchase if I decided to follow through. That would be a great back-up plan.

Marge,

I am leaning towards Orrtax also. They are sending Demo and price lists and I am confident my decision to leave Atx

is the right choice.

I have been with Atx since Parsons sold,but I have lost faith in the company . I'm not familiar with Tax Refund Express.

Is that separate and apart from Orrax ?

Thanks for the information.

Sunday

Does anyone out there have any experience with Drake? Their total price for 2007

is $995, including unlimited e-files. I would appreciate any feedback.

Booger (Mike)

I just got the 2006 Drake and it is vastly improved over the 2003 version which I tried previously. I tested a complicated return that ATX mishandled, and Drake handled it OK. I had previously considered ordering both Drake and TaxAct, but now it is clear that Drake is all I need.

The order form lists a manual for $ 25, but when I sent my order, the sales rep called me and said they had decided to make the manual free.

There has been a lot of discussion about Drake on TaxProExchange (Yahoo group). It seems to be the software of choice for people leaving ATX.