ATX Community

Friends who ask you to do taxes free or for lunch etc...how to state that you would rather be paid

juliecpa

Just be honest. "II will do your taxes if you want me to. The charge for a return like yours should be in the $120 to $150 range. Are you comfortable with that?"

Now you have put it back in their hands, but with it clear that it's NOT going to be free. If you want to offer them a discount, still start with your normal fee, so that they know the value of that discount, We work hard all year, just keeping up to date on tax law, court cases, new regs, etc, and giving away that knowledge without it even being valued by the recipient is demeaning to you.

I agree with KC. Just be honest and matter of fact.

Tonight I am really tired, I can't imagine trudging through a "free" return at this time of year . . . except for my Mom's return, and oh yes, my kids returns, and my nieces expect a family discount, so do my brothers, all the in-laws too. You get the picture. Nite Nite everyone. :wacko:

• Like 5

"

Any suggestion on how to respond to friends who want taxes done free or in exchange for something I don't want

I would say: "Next time I will be more careful when selecting my friends". I guess I come from a different tradition but I don't see this offer at all. I see some people that come and say "Can I pay you on Friday when I get paid?". I always say yes and if they don't come back, I don't care.

When it comes to computers, people do expect to fix their computers for free and that's why I don't let them know that I know a little bit about computers.

• Like 3

Any suggestion on how to respond to friends who want taxes done free or in exchange for something I don't want

Just say no. Problem solved. Will her utility company, grocery store, doctor, lawyer or other professional do that?

If I need products of services that client has, I say: "We will trade checks, but not for free."

My experience has been just the opposite. They pay what I charge and often give me a gift card for dinner, wine, flowers or a tip. Maybe I don't charge enough to begin with, but I am satisfied. My pro bono clients are not regular. They happen on a come as you are basis. If I feel they really need the help and cannot afford to pay for it, I will do it and expect nothing in return. My kids and grandkids never get charged. My friends and siblings always get charged, but it may not be the usual rate. Everything is relative to the situation at hand.

I usually have the opposite situation. For someone I might do it at no charge, I make some kind of small charge so they won't think they are a charity case. If I only charge them $40 or $50 for a $200 return, they think that is my usual fee and don't feel embarrassed.

i do this too but for those that press me, I tell them they can get me a bottle of scotch but since I drink Macallan 25, H&R would be cheaper.

I had three Facebook friends, you know, the friends you never see, picking my brain thru personal messages in January. I guess they prepare their own returns. I sent them all links to the form instructions or "about taxes" or something. Didn't even comment. They got it, I suppose. So rude. I hate that. And, no, I did not miss an opportunity for a new client. I don't want that client.

• Like 1

I discounted a couple that has some severe financial circumstances right now. Had NOL from biz this year, very little income, and tossed in the CA carry backs for free, and didn't charge for the separate CA return (they're still RDPs). Hard to charge full force when one partners mom is paying part of the tax bill for a good client.