ATX Community

Foreign taxes not flowing to Form 1116

David

Thanks for your help.

Most of the time I just see the total ordinary and qualified dividends. The foreign portion isn't shown. So I guess using the total amounts may be a problem.

What do you do when the foreign amounts aren't shown?

Thanks.

Typically they are not shown on the main page of the 1099DIV. Most investment firms (at least with my clients) provide div details in additional pages and show which funds have foreign income and paid taxes. Many also just provide the totals at the end. American Funds apparently only provides percentages so you have to do the calculations. (Ask me how I know - client had this and it became a small issue as he wasn't happy to pay me to do it, his advisor couldn't/wouldn't tell him but he wanted the credit. Arrgghh!)

Don't put in anything but the tax & it will flow to the 1040 under the exception to filing a 1116, if under $300 for single or $600 for MFJ. If you put in anything else (and ATX will default to putting all the div as foreign as mentioned above) then it goes to the 1116 & the rest of the data has to be complete, including date.

• Like 2

Don't put in anything but the tax & it will flow to the 1040 under the exception to filing a 1116, if under $300 for single or $600 for MFJ. If you put in anything else (and ATX will default to putting all the div as foreign as mentioned above) then it goes to the 1116 & the rest of the data has to be complete, including date.

I had one yesterday that was under $600 for MFJ. ATX automatically opened the 1116. I deleted it and then the tax was reported properly. (I think)........

Thanks! I'll try that on the next one. I was getting red errors unless I entered dates, country, etc. so I was just feeding the beast what it was asking for.

As I mentioned earlier, this is the first time I have seen this and it was with American Funds. Schwab, Vanguard, LP, others have all provided dollar amounts for both ordinary and qualified divs. I have often had to look up in my Mutual Fund Publishing reference books for Municipals and US Treasuries, but even now firms are doing a much better job with providing those percentages. For example Ohio does not tax interest on US Obligations or municipal income from Ohio or territories (Guam, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico). Many folks will not have this or very little but a handful of my clients have significant investments in such and it does make a difference. And they appreciate that I know about this and look out for their bottom lines. Of course, I am also looking out for mine :P

I have one client I have to pull the info for foreign div from the statement. They give ordinary div info, but not qualified or cap gains. Grrrr. I've found the broker firms are doing a much better job in giving us the info we actually need to prepare the returns.

Sometimes the annual statement information is mailed separately. Sometimes its additional pages in the consolidated 1099 package. Your client might have it or can get it from their broker or online. It's April, and if it's just around $300 for foreign taxes and not thousands or enough to make a substantial difference in the return, I'd be tempted to let the program flow all the dividends or chose some proportional amount that still lets the full $300 be a tax deduction. I sure get less picky in April !! Or threaten to put them on extension; I bet they find the info for you.

• Like 3