ATX Community

Signature date on 8879

NECPA in NEBRASKA

What do all of you do when you receive a signature form that is well past the 3 days before it's considered stockpiling? I received one today by certified mail that was signed 3 days before he mailed it and then took 2 days to get to me. Do you keep the date at the first date or change it to the received date and make note of when it was received? I know it's probably a stupid question, but I'm just trying to keep out of trouble in case of a compliance audit.

Thanks!

I haven't had that case, but I would probably still use the date they signed it and just make notes in my file as to date received. Not sure if that's correct.

This year I've had 2 with future dates. One used 2015. I entered it as 2014 (figuring this one was kind of obvious) and told client. They sent me a revised 8879 so it ended up being a non-issue. I also got one dated one day in the future. I just waited until after midnight to e-file.

One silly question . . . in order to create the efile, you have to enter the date signed. Weeks later, when they pick up and actually sign, all I know to do is reopen the return, enter a new date, and recreate the efile. Is there an easier way to change the 'signed' date that I haven't figured out yet? By this time in the season, even 5 or 10 minutes matters.

Thanks.

I never change the date. I enter the date when I'm done and I create the efile. Even if they sign it 3 months later, I never change the date/recreate the efile.

I've been efiling since the late 90s.

If they ever want to talk to me, I'll explain the realities of being a tax preparer.

• Like 11