ATX Community

Are You Checking That Little Box?

MsTabbyKats

You know that box we check....giving us permission to talk to the IRS.

I always have a couple of clients that, for whatever reason, need ME to call the IRS (they get a letter, refund is delayed etc)...because they feel my fee includes this.  Honestly....sometimes it is (omitting the time element) easier for me to call and clear things up.

Now that the IRS is telling people not to call, no services available and long wait times....I just won't do it any longer (except when absolutely necessary).

I'm very tempted to "not check the box"....and tell the client that I'm not authorized (for things that they can call themselves).

Anyone else tempted?

No, I will always check the box.  However, this year, they are saying that we will have very limited contact resources as well.  I do accept responsibility for having prepared the return and checking the box has made explanations much smoother many times.

This is the reason I worked for 3 1/2 years to achieve my Enrolled Agent status.  The IRS cannot tell me that I cannot discuss the return with me now.  Before, even with 2848 & 8812, I was stonewalled.  Especially prior years.  NO MORE!!  2848 now give me the authority to talk to IRS about anything on the return.

I am not sure how to handle the extra time involved to contact the IRS about a client.  Contemplating -  If it is an issue that is caused by careless or irresponsible action of the client, I will bill for the time.  If it is caused by the IRS, I will also bill the client.  Of course, if it is due to me or my actions in any way, I will not charge.

I am quickly becoming hardened about moving the costs of these things to the client. 

• Like 4

I check the box.

Does not make any difference. 

In 13 years, when I call, they want a 2848.  "I checked the box!" doesn't that count?  No.

Reality.

I Bill them for waiting on hold.

Rich

This has been my experience for the past 4 years.  Even then, unless you are an EA, CPA or Attorney, they will not discuss the return with you.  This is the driving force for acquiring my EA.  I am also considering having every client sign a 4868.  Keep them in their file, then when an issue arises, I simply fax the form.  Saves time, trips and playing phone tag.

• Like 1

Me too. I rarely have to call in, but it did work for me with the IRS ... once. 

It has usually allowed me to talk to the agent if it is for the current year.  It doesn't sound like we will get to talk to anyone this year anyway, but if they should accidentally call us; having checked the box will be an advantage.

This has been my experience for the past 4 years.  Even then, unless you are an EA, CPA or Attorney, they will not discuss the return with you.  This is the driving force for acquiring my EA.  I am also considering having every client sign a 4868.  Keep them in their file, then when an issue arises, I simply fax the form.  Saves time, trips and playing phone tag.

Did you mean 2848?  I have had IRS disregard a power of attorney because they said it was dated too long ago and they wanted me to get it updated.

Usually check the box authority works with IRS as long as you are calling before the due date of the next return.  Unfortunately, as slowly as they send out notices that rarely happens.  Even with 2848's I have heard horror stories from other EA's about agents that look for any reason not to talk to us about the return.  For example, the box for licensing authority should be blank for  EA's, but occasionally an agent will refuse to accept the POA because it is blank.  Another EA told me of having a POA rejected because they signed before the client did according to the date (you can't accept appointment before being appointed.)  Anything to avoid talking to us. 

• Like 1

This is the reason I worked for 3 1/2 years to achieve my Enrolled Agent status.  The IRS cannot tell me that I cannot discuss the return with me now.  Before, even with 2848 & 8812, I was stonewalled.  Especially prior years.  NO MORE!!  2848 now give me the authority to talk to IRS about anything on the return.

I am not sure how to handle the extra time involved to contact the IRS about a client.  Contemplating -  If it is an issue that is caused by careless or irresponsible action of the client, I will bill for the time.  If it is caused by the IRS, I will also bill the client.  Of course, if it is due to me or my actions in any way, I will not charge.

I am quickly becoming hardened about moving the costs of these things to the client. 

I usually don't charge if its an item that takes less than a few minutes to research and then get fixed.  once I hit the 1/2 mark or so then I charge.  My engagement letter even states that I don't charge for phone calls that don't involve research or searching of prior records.   Its one of my justifications of my higher fees; I don't nickel or dime a client.  I have even had clients come in to discuss new job offers or business opportunities and as they took out their check book and asked what do I owe you, I smile and say just your continued confidence in my services.. Builds great good will and the time can always be incorporated into their next annual billing.

• Like 5

I always check the box and have been able to talk to the IRS with check box authority probably about 60% of the time.  I do believe it will be a mute issue going forward because of the derelict nature of the notices that will be coming out in the future.  We will not have time to communicate with the IRS before the authority expires.

On the issue of getting 2848 for all clients, I have a colleague that does that religiously.  The problem I have with it is the size of my client base.  His practice is about a fifth of the size of mine.  I shutter at the thought of how many times I would have to answer the question "why do I have to sign that?" and "tell me again why I need to sign that?".  So we just keep a stack of blank ones out front and have the client sign one on an as need basis.  They never ask those questions when they are holding an IRS letter.

And on yet another note, I was just reading the instruction regarding the check box authority and it states that the authority expires no later than the due date (without extensions) for the next tax return.  For the 2014 tax returns, the instructions go on to say that that date for most people will be April 18th 2015.  WWWWHHHHAAAAAATTTTTT??????????????????????  THREE EXTRA DAYS OF TAX SEASON NEXT YEAR?   In the nomenclature of my 24 year old: UGH!

Truthfully, the best way that I have found is to have the client sitting in the office or on three way calling so that he/she can verbally give the agent permission to speak to me.  The problem here is the hold time.  The additional problem this year will be the inability to contact an agent EVER!  I am not counting on anything this year.  

I spent way too much time on hold for two days this week to let a client sit in my office and bother me. One day it was 1 hour 48 minutes and finally hung up; the next day it was 55 minutes before I got a human and then he said that I needed to write a letter, because it couldn't be handled over the phone. At least he put a nine week hold on the account so that I can get the letter answered before they assess anything else.