ATX Community

Your memberships

ILLMAS

Maybe we should get a certificate on this forum after answering some questions and posting important information about tax matters. KC and Judy should decide who gets the certificates and they should be huge posters because you learn more here than anywhere else.

• Like 2

Over the decades, the CPA organizations have promoted themselves so well that the American Public thinks that a CPA is the only accounting/tax credential that has any value.  If the IRS would copy some of those processes for EAs and then new FSHP designations we would have much more recognition.

Ask any CPA about how much of the test was concerning taxes.  Answers are 10-15% of the test.  Ask an EA how much of the test was concerning taxes, answer 100%.  Therefore, the EA test has more validity at expressing the tax knowledge of the person taking the test.

• Like 3

Over the decades, the CPA organizations have promoted themselves so well that the American Public thinks that a CPA is the only accounting/tax credential that has any value.  If the IRS would copy some of those processes for EAs and then new FSHP designations we would have much more recognition.

Ask any CPA about how much of the test was concerning taxes.  Answers are 10-15% of the test.  Ask an EA how much of the test was concerning taxes, answer 100%.  Therefore, the EA test has more validity at expressing the tax knowledge of the person taking the test.

And how about lawyers?  In NYS...you need a CPA or lawyer "on the premises".  By training, they know the least.

Whenever someone asks me "my credentials" I tell them I've been doing this over 20 years...and I have an MBA.  If the person feels that his situation is "so complicated" only a CPA can handle it...I'm more than happy not to take the job.  I actually tell them that they should look for someone else. (IMHO...potential PITAs)

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 3