ATX Community

What would you do?

rfassett

Several year PITA client emailed me back in January to get a quote on doing his S-Corp return.  (When I say PITA, I mean that.  As an example, we had to buy security envelopes just for him.  But that is a very small tip of the ice berg with this clown. He is a true PITA.) He claimed it had minimal activity in the corp - as if that has anything to do with the amount of work I have to do on the return. I quoted him a price via email and he responded he needed to shop it around.  I said that was fine and to let me know one way or the other.  I finally heard from him yesterday via email.   He says" Just was curious what the charge would be to prepare my personal taxes? The only activity is a small K-1 for the corp [apparently he found someone else to do that], and sale of the FL condo (which I renovated so I want to deduct as many of those expenses as I can); no stock trading last year. I'm not sure but depending on all the renovation deductions I can use, I might slide under the ACA radar."

Editorial note - the FL condo was his primary residence for under two years and was never used for any other purpose.

So my proposed response is:  "Generally I would charge $200 for a return like that and add a $300 PITA surcharge, but for you, your fee is a FLAT-OUT $1,000."

Do you think he will get the point? :)

How would you handle this?  Really, my true sense is to just ignore him.

• Like 3

Several year PITA client emailed me back in January to get a quote on doing his S-Corp return.  (When I say PITA, I mean that.  As an example, we had to buy security envelopes just for him.  But that is a very small tip of the ice berg with this clown. He is a true PITA.) He claimed it had minimal activity in the corp - as if that has anything to do with the amount of work I have to do on the return. I quoted him a price via email and he responded he needed to shop it around.  I said that was fine and to let me know one way or the other.  I finally heard from him yesterday via email.   He says" Just was curious what the charge would be to prepare my personal taxes? The only activity is a small K-1 for the corp [apparently he found someone else to do that], and sale of the FL condo (which I renovated so I want to deduct as many of those expenses as I can); no stock trading last year. I'm not sure but depending on all the renovation deductions I can use, I might slide under the ACA radar."

Editorial note - the FL condo was his primary residence for under two years and was never used for any other purpose.

So my proposed response is:  "Generally I would charge $200 for a return like that and add a $300 PITA surcharge, but for you, your fee is a FLAT-OUT $1,000."

Do you think he will get the point? :)

How would you handle this?  Really, my true sense is to just ignore him.

Tell him your schedule is full till June 12.  $1,000 retainer up front as well.  Non-refundable retainer.

• Like 5

Based on what you posted, I'd tell him I can't work him in and he needs to look somewhere else.

There's a certain subset of clients out there who will take ignoring them as a sign that you're eventually going to get around to them. They think you work all the time, love to do last-minute stuff, and you thrive on pressure & stress.   Then they will try to blame you for stringing them along.  None of that is legitimate of course, but it won't stop them from pestering you.  So the best thing to do is give them a final "no" in order to give them time to find someone else and to keep them out of your hair so you can focus on your good clients.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 9

I have handled it exactly this way, and although it was tempting, I've never actually explained to them that they're a pain in the ass.  I just doubled my estimates for work, which started out quite high to begin with.  After every job, I'd up the price even more.  Eventually I quoted them $4000 for a project I'd normally only bid $1200 for.  To my relief, I wasn't asked to do the work.  They fished for quotes a couple times after that, and then I never heard from them again.

• Like 6

Several year PITA client emailed me back in January to get a quote on doing his S-Corp return.  (When I say PITA, I mean that.  As an example, we had to buy security envelopes just for him.  But that is a very small tip of the ice berg with this clown. He is a true PITA.)

You are the most patient person this side of Neptune.  If you say somebody is a PITA, I'm sure I would have killed him three times by now.  Bahahaha!

• Like 4

wow - we're going to be like those people on the news using their snowblowers to blow snow on each other while they fought over driveway or sidewalk space.

I had the exact same situation.  Shopping around.  When he called back, i suggested that he continue to shop around that I was not interested in playing pricing games.  It is what it is.  Does he drive back and forth between McDs and BK to see who has the cheapest burger?

• Like 5

We all have come across the penny pincher power trippers. They are hard to please unless everything is perfect, cheap and fast. You never feel good before, during and after their project. Take the satisfaction from them and turn their work down. Let them know that you have taken on new clients and your dance card is full.

• Like 6

When I get price shoppers I just *love* it when they ask if my fees are negotiable.  I tell them, "Yes, they are - UPWARDS only."

They RUN.  Tee hee.  

(There is an old Rita Rudner comic routine where she talks about getting rid of boyfriends you can't stand and who won't commit.  She said to tell them "I love you, I never want to be apart from you, I want to have your babies."  then she said, "Sometimes they leave skid marks."  I want those price shopping PITA folks to leave skid marks.)

• Like 5

A few years back, at an IRS conference, the speaker said to drop the 20 per cent "bottom feeders" so you can concentrate on the other 80 per cent.

I had to drop someone yesterday...basically I gave her options for getting the paperwork to me. But, nothing other than sitting with me in my apt, was acceptable to her....and that's entirely unacceptable to me..

I probably came across as rude....and I felt a little guilty....but then I remembered the 20 per cent bottom feeder rule.

Moral of the story....cut them loose.

• Like 6

Ron:

Rita is right, if they are a PITA client, then they are probably terrible clients.

I would quote a price, and a price on the high side, and ask for it up front.

Mike Mars has a point about them sharing that with someone else, but how likely is that?  Most likely, even if they went on a rant about your "high" rates with someone, they probably already know your PITA Client is crackers...

They shoot horses, don't they?

Rich

WHY BE like that?  just tell them you don't wish to handle their work.  why give outrageous quotes that they might pass around to others that might be thinking of using you.  Simply say your schedule is full at this time.

Sometimes you feel like the money will be worth the headache.  In my experience though, it hasn't been.

• Like 2