ATX Community

Anyone else have jacked up state client letters?

joanmcq

I/we don't use them.  Less than 1% of clients read anything we print and send to them.  Waste of time.  I print the client info page showing amounts of refunds and what is owed.  That is all the info anyone cares about.

That's pretty much the case with us. We stopped printing client letters years ago. The best we do today is to manually print their federal and state refunds or oweds on their billing invoice. I still have to field a few hundred calls over the year to check these refund amounts anyway.

Clients are very hands-off with their taxes, as I'm sure you know. We make the effort to focus their attention on what their refunds are, their vouchers, and any paper filings they have to do (largely for Ohio, it's the municipal one). Everything else is just stuffed into the document envelop and marked with the tax year and their name. Too often these are just lost or filed away, and we were doing a lot of "can you give me a copy of my 2012 filing thanks so much", etc. At least I changed that so we CHARGE ($20 per tax year) for making those copies. We stay open all year and making a few hundred copies of client filings was looking like too much of a pointless cost; we'd get a few dozen print requests in the first 3 months after giving their current year copy. We were paying for client laziness.

• Like 4

In my email with pdf (encrypted) returns for client review, I specifically state that no paper copies will be provided unless specifically requested. I always have a couple that do want that paper but the vast majority are fine with electronic versions. It is rare for a request for a printed copy after tax season. I offer first an electronic version which usually suffices.

• Like 2

In my email with pdf (encrypted) returns for client review, I specifically state that no paper copies will be provided unless specifically requested.

That's perfectly acceptable per Pub 1345:

"The ERO must provide a complete copy of the return to the taxpayer. EROs may provide this copy in any media, including electronic, that is acceptable to both the taxpayer and the ERO."