ATX Community

Scam E-Mail to Preparers

Cathy

Heads up on a scam e-mail I just got from "Casey Jordan, Speedy Tax LLC".  The subject of the email was as follows:

"Catherine, can you takeon a new client in zip _ _ _ _ _?"  

I wrote the "takeon" above as it appeared on my email.  As I live in a small rural area in Louisiana, I know for a fact that there is no "Beth Lee" in my zip code who has contacted "Casey" for some help with her tax return.....there is no "Beth Lee" that lives in my zip code period!  

Two quick giveways were the facts that (1) his/her email address ended in ".us" and (2) the closing in the "personal" email he wrote to me was "Cheers,".....how stupid can one be? 

Another fact that blew his/her cover was that he/she stated that unless I contacted him/her by return email, he/she would send an email to the "next preparer on the _ _ _ _ _ (zip code) list"......when I am the ONLY preparer on the list in my zip code!

I wish I could get my hands on him/her about right now.....if it is a "he", it wouldn't be a "he" much longer!  :spaz:

• Like 4

Heads up on a scam e-mail I just got from "Casey Jordan, Speedy Tax LLC".  The subject of the email was as follows:

"Catherine, can you takeon a new client in zip _ _ _ _ _?"  

I wrote the "takeon" above as it appeared on my email.  As I live in a small rural area in Louisiana, I know for a fact that there is no "Beth Lee" in my zip code who has contacted "Casey" for some help with her tax return.....there is no "Beth Lee" that lives in my zip code period!  

Two quick giveways were the facts that (1) his/her email address ended in ".us" and (2) the closing in the "personal" email he wrote to me was "Cheers,".....how stupid can one be? 

Another fact that blew his/her cover was that he/she stated that unless I contacted him/her by return email, he/she would send an email to the "next preparer on the _ _ _ _ _ (zip code) list"......when I am the ONLY preparer on the list in my zip code!

I wish I could get my hands on him/her about right now.....if it is a "he", it wouldn't be a "he" much longer!  :spaz:

What if it is a "she"?

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Casey Jordan is alive and well and has moved on to addresses in Westminster, California.  <Sigh>  Just more junk for an already messed up tax season.  I Wish there was a way for the licensing bodies of both the Federal and State to screen out the bad guys from the people who really want a good tax preparer to work with.

Good Luck all!

I wouldn't blame ATX.  The scammers probably got the contact info from the IRS's public preparer directory.  I got the same email and haven't used ATX in some time.  Is there a way to opt out of the directory?  I don't want or need and can't handle any more new clients.  Especially the cranky ones who come in this time of year.  They're disorganized (which is why they're so late), typically owe lots of money (which is why they avoided coming in earlier) and IT'S ALL OUR FAULT.

• Like 5

Beth Lee really stays on the go.

Casey sent me an email saying Beth is living in Pineville, NC and is looking for tax help.

I'll bet the moving expense schedule is a real challenge.

=============================================================================================

Beth Lee

Hi Casey,

My name is Beth and I'm from Pineville, NC. I'm looking for someone to help with my 2014 taxes.

I work in HR but also run an online business out of my home. I should be due a refund, but need help understanding all the business deductions I can take.

I've already uploaded all my tax forms on Livewire, so you should be able to view them. If anything's missing, just let me know and I'll get it to you ASAP.

Look forward to working with you!

Sincerely,
Beth
Pineville, NC 28134

===============================================================================================

But my real dilemma is understanding the process. 

If Casey runs a tax service and  already has the info uploaded via Livewire, why can't he/she simply prepare the return and collect the fee rather than farm it out to someone else?  :unsure:

Edited by JohnH

I didn't make myself clear enough. Casey supposedly runs "Speedy Tax Service". Beth is supposed to be the local client who works in HR and has her home-based business on the side. The message I posted is the alleged message from Beth to Casey, where Beth sent her data to Casey via Livewire. Now, for some unknown reason, Casey wants to sign up a tax preparer to handle the work. It's a scam from top to bottom, especially since Beth is living in NC, Idaho, CA, Wyoming, LA (city and state), Hollister and who knows where else all at the same time. If "Casey" were smart enough, he/she would at least change Beth's name every now and again.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 1