ATX Community

The Limbo Stack Keeps Growing

RitaB

Rita, I am having the same problem. I am so tired of not being able to finish returns. This has been a terrible year for me as far as getting anything done. Even returns that are normally simple, have strange things or missing. An easy one yesterday wrote down $7,500 for Goodwill donations, did not fill out the health insurance questionnaire that I sent them, didn't return engagement letter and forgot their property tax. I'm really getting crabby.

• Like 5

Yep, one I gave signature pages to days ago just emailed that the very long and detailed list of donations to Goodwill, well it's actually four different lists for four different dates to two different charities.  But, she didn't give me the corrections to make.  Limbo.  And, some I thought I was going to finish are going to move over to Extensions due to all the emails, telephone calls, from everyone else.  And, they won't be happy.  But, I'm getting unhappy.  And, a former IC from a biz client needs a copy of his 2013 1099 and didn't like the copy of the payor copy I emailed him on blank paper and not on the preprinted forms and emailed my client his dissatisfaction.  Now the client's emailing me.  I really am not going to drive up to that biz this week.  Very unhappy.  And, ate chocolate, but it just made me jitterier.  Really not happy.  And, my good halogen lamp that is great light plus heat this winter died.  Hubby even went looking at Home Depot for a lamp for me.  Kids came in from PA for a day and I was cranky; hubby told them I'm tired to not worry about it.  I want another month to catch up!  Or, I'm going out to the mailbox to meet Rita.

• Like 6

Same problem here, RitaB. Just about every return I've worked on this season has been missing info.  Some here are completed and ready for pickup tomorrow, and everything else has been input and are now waiting for additional last pieces of missing data.   Waiting and waiting....

• Like 3

How the hell did my photo get on the internet?

Apparently, I'm good at espionage. This anal client I'm working on now gives me COPIES of investment statements with account numbers blacked out. You never know what your accountant might do with those account numbers. Or two copies of a W-2.

• Like 8

I'm having the following problem....

Returns completed...people owe money....not big money (I know this is relative)....but haven't gotten back to me.

One told me "her partner" said she didn't have to file a tax return (1099-misc income) and could be her dependent.  I told her about a letter she would be receiving if she did that...lol   But...she didn't get back to me.....

I think that I will send each and every one on this pile a consultation fee invoice on 4/16.

• Like 3

Same here and it seems this stack is worse this year than any others. I had Sch C,E with rental properties send me the final day care expenses yesterday. Today I get the question, do you have the depreciation done for one of the new properties I purchased? I mean really?? I haven't bothered replying yet.

• Like 2

<snip>? I mean really?? I haven't bothered replying yet.

I find myself in the same boat as so many folks here and doing way more of ^this -- not replying yet.  

What really fries me is the carefully bulleted (like * not like "bang" - with my hobby I feel I must specify lol) list I send out -- and get back one or maybe two of the five or seven items listed.  Thank you for answers to items a and b; I am still waiting for answers on c, d, e, and f.  Thank you for answer e, I am still waiting for answers c, d, and f.....  et cetera.  Or the emails that say, "I don't have this yet, just thought I'd let you know,"  -- I don't CARE.  Send me the info when you have it and other wise LEAVE ME ALONE so I can get something DONE!!!!

Argh!  What a season this has been.

• Like 7

One easy way to solve that is to tell them you don't work on returns piecemeal where you have been supplied incomplete data, and that the reasons for doing so are because it is inefficient, unproductive, may lead to errors, and results in higher bills to the client. Also tell them that if their data is incomplete it automatically goes on the bottom of the priority list.

• Like 2

This has been a terrible tax season.  With some health issues here at home and several brain-dead clients, I am nearly in tears at times.  STOP! STOP! STOP! Calling me. I will call you.  What part of that don't they understand?  And, why are so many clients coming in so late?  And, why are they not bringing all their info in at once?  And, why do I still have 43 returns left to start in the box?  Of course, most of them are businesses that will take an entire day to finish.   AH!  Now I feel better! :huh:

• Like 3

We've been getting several calls a day from people looking for a new accountant.  In April???  Even in January we aren't taking new clients except those referred by really good clients, financial advisors, attorneys, we don't want to disappoint.  Oh, and several of the ones we agreed to take showed up with three years of returns to file.  I don't think so.  Where were you in January (or three years ago)?

This week we have been blasted with corrected brokerage statements.  Again, in April???  These have to at least be looked at to see if the client owes.  Right now our thinking is that we can tackle them after the 15th because federal rates are so low the interest will be minimal.  Our state rates are high but it will only be for a month.

Many of our limbo returns are for indecisive clients.  Should I pay estimates or increase withholding?  Should I pay all that tax now or recharacterize that conversion?  Will I owe as much next year if I move to another state?  Which state?  Each of these take 100 emails, phone calls, will you please make up your mind.  Limbo returns have a plus side--suddenly all those last bits of info come in and you can complete 10 returns before lunch.

• Like 2

I had some of that last night & today. Lots of last bits: bank account for someone who was not expecting a refund, NY apportionment data, working days & vacation & weekends all in a nice spreadsheet :)

Program crashed on one big return, and I had to reboot the computer. Need dinner & a nap and more energy drinks. Bought a 10 pack of Monster today.

• Like 1