ATX Community

Commiseration needed

Catherine

Well, the slight cold I was fighting my way through has decided to play hardball.  Fever all night, not much better today despite having taken motrin at 8AM.  Cancelled my accounting client (standard Tuesday), told my husband I will *not* be going to the pistol match tonight, and managed to get here to my office.  There is a real downside to having my office outside the house!  My lovely napping sofa is now an entire mile away.....

Then, just to make things even *more* special, yesterday I had an e-file gliltch and sent in a return that was not quite ready!  Was reaching for my mouse to de-select that client, jarred the mouse against my tea cup just enough to make it click - argh!!!  --off it went, irretrievable.  Perhaps a blessing in disguise; I have been wondering how to fire those clients.  The last changes needed (besides waiting for e-file _authorization_ such a pesky detail) were so piddling that the change in tax might be as much as $10 - so not worth amending.  But boy did that take the wind out of my sails yesterday afternoon.

I think some echinacea tea with honey is next on the list.

• Like 2

That is probably my biggest fear (well, second to putting in the wrong bank information (like mine instead of theirs), so I check and double check and triple check (and do not go near the mouse) before I am ready to click send.  We will write this glitch off to your drugs.  I am sorry you are down and out.  Listen to the others - take care of yourself first or you will be no good to anyone later.  Enjoy your nap!

• Like 2

Catherine, you should change your method of selecting the e-files so that it is a multi-step process. I have my Drake set so that it requires me to use the EF screen to mark them as ready, and then I have to go out to the client manager and create the e-file transmission file from the EF drop down menu.

The other thing you could do very simply is to flag a field on the demographics input that will definitely stop the processing. I use an override for the fee that I'm billing on that screen, and Drake remembers that from the prior year so that field rolls over as flagged from the start, and I leave it that way until I'm ready to file.  It's easy to remember and find.

I hope you feel better. I've been fighting off the remnants of a cold from a couple of weeks ago. Husband told me last night that his shop has that nasty stomach bug circulating around.  Two guys have been out sick on different days with it, and he was called in yesterday to fill in for one of them. I hope he doesn't bring that home within the next week!

• Like 2

I feel for you, Catherine.  I've been fighting a terrible sinus infection for over a week now.  My husband keeps saying I need to go to the doctor but my question is WHEN exactly am I supposed to do that.  I don't have time to wait in the doctor's office just now and I'm pretty sure they would laugh at me if I suggested they needed to work around my schedule.  I also moved my office out of my home this year so I can relate to that as well. 

Hope you feel better soon!  Hang in there.

• Like 1

I had the worst sinus infection ever about 2 weeks ago, and I am still sitting here clearing my throat every 2 minutes.  It doesn't go away fast this year. 

I was having a bout with migranes and vertigo a few years ago and bought myself a recliner for my office.  And there have been many an afternoon i have had to kick my dog out of it so i could get in it.  It's hidden around the corner, so most people never see it.  It was the best investment i made here.

Hope you're feeling better soon!  Get some antibiotics going. :)

• Like 2

Going home now; thanks for all the good wishes and advice.

We have a facial steamer that I bought years and years ago when my girls were little and tended to get croup.  IT works *great* for colds and sinus infections.  

And Judy; most of my clients DO have a flagged field just for that reason; I don't know why these folks didn't.  *Everything* about them is contrary and backwards - including this glitch.  Sigh.

• Like 4

Catherine I hope you get feeling better soon. This stuff is going around here in NC as well. My wife has been really sick the last two days and spent all day today in bed. Bad sinus infection too. We take the better or worse part of our wedding vows and appropriately apply them cause it is better to sleep in separate rooms so we both don't get worse. :P

• Like 2

I went in an  hour late and came home 1 1/2 hours early and have been taking it easy - including spending some quality time with the facial steamer.  About to get into a steamy shower but the horrible sinus headache I had all afternoon has backed off quite a bit.

Thanks for all the good wishes!

• Like 4