ATX Community

Done!

JohnH

Jack...with 485 extensions, how many returns were filed by the 15th at your firm?

And how many preparers? And is this a year round accounting practice? I need to compare myself to everybody so my self worth can be accurate.

Got my hair done this morning. Hairdresser, non-client, talked the whole time about her business tax return she botched. Yeah, I'm gonna do it for her since she is afraid of her accountant but can't leave him because he knows the ins and outs of her very advanced and mysterious income tax return. Man, the last thing I wanted was to listen to a hairdresser talk about taxes.

• Like 5

Well, Rita, my hairdresser is my client.   You are right about the mysteries of their returns.  They can have a lot of things going on at one time.  They can be an employee, a SE, and an SE renting chairs in a salon.  Mine, for one, is extremely needy taxwise.  BUT, she does a great job on my hair and pays whatever I ask for my services because she totally doesn't "get it!"

• Like 3

I have several hairdressers, and it really is mysterious to them not being able to write off the FMV of do-overs. Also, face value of gift certificates. Sigh. So, I quit telling them, and they think they're deducting them. Everybody is happy that way.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 6

And how many preparers? And is this a year round accounting practice? I need to compare myself to everybody so my self worth can be accurate.

4 preparers year round.  During season we add 3 more.  From Feb. 1 to April 14 we are open Mon-Fri 9-9.  Sat-Sun 9-4.  The rest of the year we are open Mon-Thu 8:30-5:30.  During off season I don't work on Tue.

Total filed returns for 2013 tax season was 2,903.

Edited by Jack from Ohio
  • Like 4

4 preparers year round.  During season we add 3 more.  From Feb. 1 to April 14 we are open Mon-Fri 9-9.  Sat-Sun 9-4.  The rest of the year we are open Mon-Thu 8:30-5:30.  During off season I don't work on Tue.

Total filed returns for 2013 tax season was 2,903.

2903/7 = 415. I'm not that good.

But wait, there is hope - do you have non-preparer staff to shoot the bull with clients, answer the phone, run copies, file, clean the toilet, vacuum (yes, vacuum, we've talked about this before)?

• Like 2

But wait, there is hope - do you have non-preparer staff to shoot the bull with clients, answer the phone, run copies, file, clean the toilet, vacuum (yes, vacuum, we've talked about this before)?

Yes.  We have 2 year round and one seasonal.  They also do all copying, collating, mailing and sorting.

Those are numbers for the entire year, not just tax season.  2 of our preparers do not do office appointment and only do mailed in returns.  When you factor in 9 months instead of 3, the number is not so daunting.

• Like 2

Hay Catherine,

Have you every been to the rifle matches up here at Camp Perry Ohio?

Hi TAG --

No, I have never gone to the Camp Perry matches -- although I know plenty of folks who do.  I utterly wilt in heat and humidity, so Camp Perry would be pure torture for me. 

I was invited (and did go to) the National Championships in 1980, out in Arizona.  Those were also the Olympic Tryouts for that year (which didn't mean much because we were boycotting those Olympic Games).  That was tons of fun.  I was much younger (weren't we all!) and didn't get as overwhelmed by heat.  Plus it was AZ so as soon as you got into the shade the temps dropped and evaporative cooling works so dumping water on your head cools you off substantially. All the firing points out at Black Canyon are in the shade.  

So, it was the podiatrist for me.  He had two stories.  Last year, someone filed with his SSN.  Did the whole routine and e-filed this year with his PIN and all was well.  Secondly, daughter began work for a consultancy that sent her all over the country, so dad sent her and all her W-2s to his CPA.  CPA called all upset that the NY W-2 had her full income on the NY line.  I chimed in that NY requires that.  He said that that's what his daughter and CPA learned from calling NY.  And, he was pretty impressed that I knew that.  Go EAs!  But, it's really because I have a lot of commuters and get a lot of my education from the NY/CT-ATP.

• Like 3

My dental hygienist had a tale of being snookered into selling mutual funds to buy into an annuity.  Rep told her it was an "exchange" so they were totally blind-sided by the capital gains.  

I did not have the heart to tell her that the annuity was probably a sucker's bet, too (knowing what I know of her situation), that made tons for the rep and won't do her much good at all.  Plus transferring future capital gains to ordinary income tax rates; ugh.

Catherine, tell your hygienist to go to the Compliance Dept where the rep works (if a financial firm).  If that doesn't work, go to the state insurance commissioner.  Just the threat of either will make the rep or firm more willing to work out a deal.  If not, the state will start a file on the rep.  Client can't undo what already happened but hopefully can be made whole for the taxes paid and just maybe get out of the annuity without any early cancellation penalties.

• Like 3

Have had folks try this before -- lots of paperwork with NO result whatsoever.  (And in the most egregious case I know of, the "agent" is still working for the same firm - and still shafting people - more than a decade later.  I know it's *supposed* to work, to have an effect, etc., but it doesn't.)

Unfortunately, stock brokers and the like do not have fiduciary responsibility under the law.  They are not required to do what is best for the client.  They are the used car salesmen of the financial world.  They can lie and cheat the client with impunity.

I tell all my clients to hire a fee only financial planner and do the purchasing themselves.  This eliminates the possibility of situations like this.

• Like 1

Also, thank you to everyone for all their help!!

For the life insurance - whatever the atty did took care of it - so it came thru Fri closed - my 2 hours of phone calls and work nada.. but we can file them with a little raised rate

rest of the questions resolved! one way or the other :)

Extensions - staff left at 10:30!! gotta be a better way to rollover and open and lock and date and create!!!

about 400 filed and 100 of those should have been done but just ran out of days. Gained a ton of new clients so had a lot of 2011's that came in last week, lost clients to do it them selves and didn't want to wait :( (so they paid more to go elsewhere)

to much atx retry! and locked up program... Brandon needs to talk really hard..

But other than that a pretty darn good season!

Need a post for best ideas and practices...

• Like 2