ATX Community

UN employee - oh boy

TaxCPANY

Just got my first UN employee as a client, and it's a new job for her, too; so we're both unfamiliar with just what constitutes "earnings."  Per the UN PowerPoint from its tax unit, "taxable earnings = gross salaries + other emoluments . . .", and there are no less than 11 components to her pay.  Her English is not sophisticated enough to understand my requests for documents I assume would explain to new employees what all those pieces are about.  Anyone been here before, could shed light on which "emoluments" I should base this year's projection?

I have a UN employee as a client. Is your client working here or overseas?  US citizen, green card holder, not?

my client has a lot of emoluments too; hardship, hazard, etc. she is a US citizen and it's all included as salary, but a bunch of it isn't taxable because she is overseas. 

• Like 1

I am totally ignorant in this area, just want to say how great this group is.  No matter what exotic question comes up, someone always seems to come forward with an answer, or at least a direction in which to look for an answer.  Just want to thank you all, I've learned a lot, myself, and I know I'm not the only one.  

• Like 4

I am curious - why do they have to itemize?  I don't have any UN employees as clients, and I am not likely to, but I did not think anyone (other than MFS spouse of someone who itemizes) was required to itemize.  I can see it might be advantageous.... but why required?

They are required to itemize because the IRS says so   :)

But...if you really want to know....click on the "latest tax circular" link

http://www.un.org/Depts/oppba/accounts/tax/faqs/faq03.htm

I looked at the link that you provided, and I really could not find anything about itemizing deductions in that link.  After chasing through some other links, I did find a power point presentation from the UN about paying US taxes that, on slide 44, tells employees that they make all efforts to minimize their tax to qualify for reimbursement, including using the larger of standard or itemized deduction.  See http://www.un.org/Depts/oppba/accounts/tax/forms/us_tax_reimbursement_procedures_at_unhq.pdf 

Gail and MsTabbyKats, I looked at those links, and like Gail, I also could not find anything and agree with Gail about the employee being required to minimize their tax liability by means of all allowable adjustments to income, exemptions and deductions.

In my search I came upon the UN's form entitled "Request for 2014 income tax settlement and 2015 income tax advances" that is available for download as a Word doc, and in the declaration area that is immediately above the signature area that the staff member is swearing to, the form contains 14 numbered points including #10 that states this (bold is mine):

10.                I certify that I have minimized my income tax for 2014 by utilizing all adjustments to income, deductions and exemptions to which I am entitled, including the itemizing of deductions if they exceed the standard deduction allowable.

The form referenced above is F.65 and has a link to download from this page on the UN's tax FAQ page.

Edited by jklcpa
added link

jklcpa   

• ATX Supreme Guru

Sure, just confuse me --- not on the UN tax things but on going incognito  with a new avatar....

Oh, did people like the scolding of Soup Nazi better?  I was going for a softer image. Maybe I should have gone with a picture of one of my roses, you know, with the prickly thorns on the stem. :P

• Like 3

As a fact...my "kind of friend" Monica worked for the UN for 40 years.  She told me that she was required to itemize....just as all the non-resident alien diplomats on diplomatic visas (filing 1040-NRs) are required to do.

Now....this is NYC...where if someone makes about $50,000 and is single...they exceed the standard deduction (she made a lot more).

I'm sure the guy I did a billion years ago also made over $50K.  I vaguely remember him giving me "a sheet of instructions".

That line might be interpreted to read as a reminder ...."Make sure you itemize in order to minimize your income" (because if people do their own tax returns they might overlook itemizing).

Good to know......

I have clients with UN who always give me one page worksheet. I do prepare based on which is better i.e. standard or itemized. But they always want to see Schedule A just to make sure that standard is better. I always print Schedule A if standard is taken and give it to them. Never had problem.