ATX Community

Partnership Return Form 1065

Terry D EA

Wondering how many of you complete the balance sheet, Sch M-1 and M-2 when the gross receipts is under the 250K threshold. Maybe it is a bit anal but I for one put information on the return. If I have to complete the financials then why not put the information on the return even if it isn't required.

I never enter the information unless it is required for multiple reasons:

1. Do you charge clients to enter information that the IRS isn't interested in receiving? Do you inform the client you are doing so?

2. Why give the IRS information they don't want? If it's wrong, you've produced a problem which could have easily been avoided.

3. Having dealt with auditors and regulators - I NEVER give information unless I'm told or specifically asked. It will usually come back to bite me later.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Roberts said:

I never enter the information unless it is required for multiple reasons:

1. Do you charge clients to enter information that the IRS isn't interested in receiving? Do you inform the client you are doing so?

2. Why give the IRS information they don't want? If it's wrong, you've produced a problem which could have easily been avoided.

3. Having dealt with auditors and regulators - I NEVER give information unless I'm told or specifically asked. It will usually come back to bite me later.

While I do not necessarily disagree with your points, I would point out that the tax return is not always just for the IRS.  Banks like to see completed returns. Vendors like to see completed returns.  Even the clients like to see completed returns.  Just sayin'!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rfassett said:

While I do not necessarily disagree with your points, I would point out that the tax return is not always just for the IRS.  Banks like to see completed returns. Vendors like to see completed returns.  Even the clients like to see completed returns.  Just sayin'!

Plus my software (Drake) tells me that when the M-1 and M-2 and L are not required, they are NOT transmitted to the IRS even when I force them to print.

I sometimes did, sometimes not, basically when I had all the info already I usually input it, like Catherine, just for neatness, I guess I'd say.  But if it would take significant extra time and digging out info, I did not, because I felt it was not fair to charge the clients for time to do something not required.  

• Like 1