ATX Community

PSA: When you get the dreaded error "ATX has encountered an unexpected error and needs to close"

Abby Normal

21 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I am waiting on a return call from Tech support about this very issue.  In our case, closing the dialogue box causes the program to close.

Even if you close the box with the x, instead of clicking on the ok button?

I don't use autosave. I don't like autosave in most programs. I prefer to have control over when I save, which is early and often.

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Click on the small x in the top right corner of the error message box. This closes the message box without closing ATX and allows you to save your return before restarting ATX.

I've actually just kept working after closing the message and not had any problems

That's what I've done forever.  About everything.  Close that box.  That's my motto about every message I don't like.  Who knew??  I'm an IT guy!

• Like 5

An unexpected error is usually some sort of major fail, for which there is no common message to show.  Consider such message as neither the application nor operating system having any idea how to gracefully get past the error, usually caused by a programming error in the current application, or another which happens to be running.  I would not count on anything working properly after closing the message.

• Like 6

My sense of wonder about all things computer tells me that I am grateful for the opportunity to click on the red "x" and am more grateful when nothing blows up.  If I pass that hurdle, I test the waters no further.  I simply save and close the return and then the program and then re-open.  The urge is there to keep working.  But as Medlin mentions, that is probably not the best approach.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, jasdlm said:

Mine also crashes totally when I click the X.  I have turned on autosave.  It has actually helped me out in prior years (knock on wood - nothing has happened yet this year).  I usually lose at least one complicated return per year and have to start over.

Ctrl+S early and often. Also, after working for 20 minutes or so, close the client to create a backup. It only takes a second and can save a lot of time and aggravation.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

It happens to me mostly when I'm in a Detail screen and I do some mouse click or keyboard combination the programmers hadn't anticipated. I'm hard on software. I'd make a good tester!

If only the folks at ATX/CCH/Conglomerate would come down and spend some time with folks like us USING the software, and find out what they could fix to make it better.

Dreaming....

Pass the scotch, JB

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Randall said:

When is this usually happening?   I've had it happen a couple of times when I was in Fixed Assets.

Same here!  I posted on the other board and was told it would be fixed on the next update.  I was told until then to increase the time set on auto save.  I did that and so far it seems to be helping. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

Same here!  I posted on the other board and was told it would be fixed on the next update.  I was told until then to increase the time set on auto save.  I did that and so far it seems to be helping. 

How can that help when the autosave function is nonfunctional?  Tech Support at its finest!!!!  :spaz:

Mine did it a lot today. Sometimes it closed the program sometimes it did not. Can't believe after 3 years of this nasty item they can't fix it. I know my equipment is more than par so can't blame it on that. My 2 cents worth.

Hey Jack how can you tell if autosave is working or not? I never really depended on it anyway. But know it makes me wonder if CTRL/s works.

Edited by TAXMAN
added info

51 minutes ago, TAXMAN said:

Mine did it a lot today. Sometimes it closed the program sometimes it did not. Can't believe after 3 years of this nasty item they can't fix it. I know my equipment is more than par so can't blame it on that. My 2 cents worth.

Hey Jack how can you tell if autosave is working or not? I never really depended on it anyway. But know it makes me wonder if CTRL/s works.

When the program crashes, all work since the last save is lost.  Many time 15-30 minutes.  If autosave is working, you would only lose the last 5 minutes.  Has not worked since 2012.

CTRL/s is the same as clicking on save.

• Like 1