ATX Community

Worst possible response

Abby Normal

Not even close to the worse :)

Business communication has gone "text" and "twitter" for far too many.

Daily, I get communications asking for help, but no actual question.  Messages saying they are having a problem, but no hint as to the problem.  I spend more time trying to ferret out the issue than answering the issue, with more than a fair amount of the issues answered by the error or other message already shown on their screen.  There is also a fair amount who ask for help, then argue that the reply cannot be correct.

It is what it is, and rather than be frustrated, I have to remember to adapt.  Toughest part of the job!

• Like 6

I took a CE course last year where these tips really stuck with me:

1)  Never underestimate your client's intelligence.

2)  Always underestimate your client's knowledge.

And that has very little to do with this topic, but you know I gotta talk, so...

You know what's aggravating the crap outta me today is those who dropped off, were missing stuff, still haven't brought missing stuff, I told them they'd be getting extensions, and they are now reminding me to get them extensions.  I guess they are not being condescending, just being careful.  You know, since they had three months to get it together and didn't. They are all over it now.  Got it covered.  Told her to get an extension.  Yessssss.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, RitaB said:

And that has very little to do with this topic, but you know I gotta talk, so...

You know what's aggravating the crap outta me today is those who dropped off, were missing stuff, still haven't brought missing stuff, I told them they'd be getting extensions, and they are now reminding me to get them extensions.  I guess they are not being condescending, just being careful.  You know, since they had three months to get it together and didn't. They are all over it now.  Got it covered.  Told her to get an extension.  Yessssss.

Well, did you get their extensions?

Just checking...

• Like 9

When communication goes awry, and I want to see if it was me, I used to have my spouse read the messages, now it is my daughter.  I have to find someone new every now and again, as they get jaded (as well as protective of me) if I use them too much...  The jaded/protective is why my spouse and daughter never watch me umpire any more (our boys can, since they are also umpires) because they take what the crowd says personally.  Plus my wife is my worst heckler!

I suppose the real "issue" for most here, as well as me, is we have no insulation.  We are the ones doing the work, and have to hear comments regarding our work.  Our customers know that, and make an assumption we not only remember every thing about them, but can understand intent.  When there is a go between, folks tend to be clearer so the "message" gets through.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Catherine said:

Another one I love -- from clients who have sent absolutely NO documentation so far -- "Am I going to owe this year?"

Magic 8-Ball says "answer hazy; ask again later."  Like, maybe after you send me some information on which to base a guess.  :wall:

My Crystal Ball is out for repair.  Estimated time till usability - 6 weeks or more.

• Like 6

Language changes from generation to generation.  My daughter mentioned to me one time that her son went through a road block and got a ticket for not having insurance.  I said "what?  Didn't he have sense enough to stop for a road block?"  She said, "oh no, he stopped for the road block and then he got a ticket for not having insurance."  One word can change the meaning of a sentence.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, RitaB said:

People are only doing what they see the government doing --------  oh, you had 1-7 years to get ready for the new/changed law and requirements ------ since you are not ready, maybe we should allow an extension to when you have to make the changes/send the information us/clients, etc........

NOW  --- if only they would let US print our own money when the budget we have gets extended?????????

/s  just so you know, US means us not united states or otherwise

Also, in keeping with emphasis on a different word//// think /// I did not say you beat your wife /// was always my favorite  but the "I never said he embezzled money from his business." from above might be more "political" acceptable these days --- so Thanks.

• Like 3

Worst text ever just now:  "Hey, I'm sorry I haven't picked up [the return you did six weeks ago], but it's been crazy busy here.  Oh, and I got a letter from IRS..."  I just stopped reading.

My response:  "I'll see you before Friday at five, and I will look at your letter next week sometime."

I love it when they tell me how busy they are.  Making $800 a month at her thrift store.  Something's not adding up there.  Either she's not crazy busy or it's not $800.

• Like 6

Today two clients came by to pick up their tax returns.  One brought me a 1098 he forgot to include for the purchase of a new house he forgot to tell me about.  The other one brought me a 1099R because she took RMD for the first time.  Reprint, reassemble, new payment vouchers...ick. 

• Like 4

Today:

Me: Do you want your refund mailed to you in a check, or do you want to have deposited directly into your checking account.

Him:  Have them send me a check. I do not want to give them by bank account information.

Me:  OK

Him:  Don't forget to give me those estimate vouchers for next year.  I have to mail them a check by Monday.

• Like 9

This evening for a return that was picked up last Friday:

"Hi Joe, this is Judy. I'd like to have your signature forms back this weekend so that I'm not babysitting the tax program on Monday evening (this guy usually makes his drop offs on his way home from work).

"Oh, you need those back, I thought that was a formality."

This guy is not new to the party, and I do tell each client that they must return the forms before I'll e-file.  Next year I'll explain it like this  --> :slap:, or he'll get a Tennessee-style hug.  I suspect it's that he was trying to delay my payment and was going to drop it all off at some later date. 

• Like 8

Client Email to me today:
"Don’t beat me up.  Here are all but one. The brokerage was supposed to have faxed a statement on the withdrawals from my IRA’s One was $5k, the other a little over $15k. That was an accident. And I DID have 10% of each ‘withheld’ for taxes.  Faxes never came. I tried to log in, and could not. I tried to call but nobody was there.  I’ll try first thing Monday.  I cannot receive faxes. It was supposed to go to my wife's office. Send me your FAX number and I will have it sent directly to you."

My reply:
"Haha! No beatings for you.  Your tax return is on extension, so there's no emergency regarding the paperwork. My fax has been broken for about 6 months." 

:D Liking those extensions this year :D  And "Don't beat me up"????  I have gone off on this guy before for the last minute madness.  Every.  Single.  Year.  Except this year.

• Like 6