ATX Community

Be careful out there: Windows changed the behavior of its update to 10 program

Abby Normal

I ran it on my desktop.  Disabled now.  Then I ran it on my laptop.  Some time back, the laptop upgraded itself to 10 but was waiting for a response from me.  I did not Agree, so it went back to 7, very slowly.  When I ran Never 10 on my laptop, it reported thousands of 10 files.  One click and a couple of seconds, and all is gone.  Thank you, thank you!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Lion EA said:

I ran it on my desktop.  Disabled now.  Then I ran it on my laptop.  Some time back, the laptop upgraded itself to 10 but was waiting for a response from me.  I did not Agree, so it went back to 7, very slowly.  When I ran Never 10 on my laptop, it reported thousands of 10 files.  One click and a couple of seconds, and all is gone.  Thank you, thank you!

This forum is awesome once again and always.  I almost forgot about my Surface 3 Pro, but got that handled yesterday.  We really do live in our own little wonderful world.

• Like 5

First I installed Never 10, which disabled the exe program.

Second I installed the GWX Control Panel.

Despite that, my system keeps prompting me to install an optional update "KB3123862"

which according to the MS website prepares your computer to upgraded to to Win 10.

So now before I install any MS updates of any kind I go to the MS website to see what it does.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cbslee said:

So now before I install any MS updates of any kind I go to the MS website to see what it does.

I do the same thing, but I suspect that once you've run Never10, installing those 'recommended' updates from windows won't actually do anything. But I'm always in the "better safe than sorry" camp.

• Like 4

Using GWX and N10 has relieved me of all the work in tracking down these updates before updating.  Abby Normal told us about one early on (I had it memorized but now don't need it) that I kept getting.    Thanks for the extra free time.

• Like 6

• jklcpa featured this topic
13 hours ago, SaraEA said:

The free update ends sometime in July.  After that it will cost $ to buy it.  That should end the annoying and dangerous "update now" notifications.

This is what my IT person said.  He will be so glad!  Of course, now he has the Never 10 download on a jump drive if he can only catch the culprits before it is too late.

• Like 3

An Alternative to "Never 10"

I'll admit I have always been a technophile and always wanted the latest thing out there, but I also exercise extreme caution. Here is what I did regarding Win 10.

I have Windows & Ultimate installed on my main hard drive.  All programs are installed on a different hard drive.

1.  On my operating system hard drive, I made two additional partitions which could accept operating systems.

2.  On one of the new partitions, I reinstalled Win 7 ultimate from the installation drive and then restored my latest win 7 backup to it, thus creating two identical win 7 systems.

3.  I let one of those two clones update to win 10.

4.  After updating partition 2 to win 10, I was able to download a clean install of win 10 on a flash drive.

5.  I put the win 10 clean install on the third partition.  Because it was a clean install, I had to reinstall all of my programs, but I now had three different versions of windows available on the same computer with no data in jeopardy.

In both the upgraded OS and the clean install, I was abler to install ATX from 2000 through 2012 (my last year with them) and Pro Series from 1998 through 2016, all with no problems whatsoever.  The only drivers I needed to find were for two of my seven printers, but that was no problem.  All of my tax software, scanner software, Office 2007, Adobe, etc. have all worked without a hitch.  Win 10 for me was like Win 7 on steroids; everything worked and it seemed much faster.  Booting was extremely quick.  I bought as new Origin computer in December with Win 10 installed on it, and it has worked flawlessly so far with all of my programs.

I figured that if MS was giving win 10 away for free and I could have it and WIN 7 at the same time, that there was no downside.  I still use the WIN 7and two WIN 10 installations computer as a backup for my new computer.

If your computer has at least two hard drives and you have enough room on your OS drive for an additional OS to be loaded, why not get Win 10 and see it for yourself.  You don't have to rely on MS to revert it back for you if you don't like it; you still have your WIN & system available qas a dual boot.  You have some time now to play with your computer before tax season starts up again, so why not explore?  Your next computer will have Win 10 (or maybe even Win 11) so why not be able to hit the ground running when it is time to change?  Just sayin.......

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Because I'm too busy working to play around with my computers all day long.

And it was an argument between my partitioning software and the encryption software (required in MA) that cause the eight-day seize-up on March 22nd from which I still have not completely recovered.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RINGERS said:

... why not get Win 10 and see it for yourself?

98% of Tax preparers have not idea what you are saying to do, much less how to deal with an issue that crops up.

I, same as Abby, have no desire to play computer "Sherlock Holmes" to see if I can make it work by partitioning the Hard drive as you describe. 

I have a bigger issue at hand.  The ATX program, since 2012 takes up MASSIVE amounts of HD space.  Either on a server or a stand alone.  Suddenly, my 500GB Hard drive is full and 80% us taken up with ATX files..  If you think I am going to try partitioning etc., you are sadly mistaken. 

I will NOT consider WIN10 till at least Dec. 31, 2018.  I have advised many people to follow the same path.  Those that did not take my advice are very distraught at the outcome of upgrading to WIN10.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

• Like 3

WHOA!  Extinguish the torches and stop storming the castle!

I just offered an alternative for those who want to take advantage of the free offer and still have Win 7 on their computer.  It does not have to be an "either-or."

With backups of all drives and data, there is very little risk in exploring the options if you take your time.  Partitioning hard drives is much easier than, for instance, filling out a 3115 form and can be much more rewarding.  I did not mean to offend, just to offer an alternative.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2016 at 0:51 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

ATX program, since 2012 takes up MASSIVE amounts of HD space

I occasionally go thru the backup folder and delete excess backups. Some clients have 10-20 backups. The companies and payers will have hundreds of backups I just keep the most recent 4.

I've asked ATX for a preference to only keep the last x backups, but nothing so far.

• Like 1