ATX Community

Planning to switch for 2008

donimus

For those you may be interested: After not being ever able to get a live person for customer support in under 30 minutes and never getting an approriate answer to a tech support email (if they answered at all), we are planning to switch to another provider for 2008. We are in New York State. I cannot get an adequate response to NY form error issues. ATX choose not to support efile of entity returns in NY again this year. If anyone would like further information, I will be happy to provide it. You can be sure that we will not be switching to a CCH product.

anyone who remembers me from the old board i am the furthest you can get from being a cheerleader. i critizised so much i got locked out on 2 occasions but i must say i have emailed tech support on 3 occasions and got positive responses each time by the next day. [maybe because i got my software free lastyear by pointing out their errors?] but we use prosystem fx here [another cch product] that costs us $20,000 this year and customer service is worse, you always get a live person, they general understand the issue, and then never get back with a resolution.

So i don;t know where everyone is going but it seems that all programs have their issues and we will just have to get used to poor support.

i came to atx when proseries tech support ran 40 minutes or so of hold time for a whole season and they didnt' issue nyc corp forms till 2 weeks before the due date.

anyone who remembers me from the old board i am the furthest you can get from being a cheerleader. i critizised so much i got locked out on 2 occasions but i must say i have emailed tech support on 3 occasions and got positive responses each time by the next day. [maybe because i got my software free lastyear by pointing out their errors?] but we use prosystem fx here [another cch product] that costs us $20,000 this year and customer service is worse, you always get a live person, they general understand the issue, and then never get back with a resolution.

So i don;t know where everyone is going but it seems that all programs have their issues and we will just have to get used to poor support.

i came to atx when proseries tech support ran 40 minutes or so of hold time for a whole season and they didnt' issue nyc corp forms till 2 weeks before the due date.

I JUST GOT MY FIRST EMAIL BACK FROM TECH SUPPORT!!!!!!! The only problem is that it is 03/01/08 and I sent my email on 01/28/08. The email only included the minimum hardware and software requirements for ATX. THANKS. I have been a customer since 2001, that really helped!!!

Sometimes I will put up with crappy service at a restaurant if I know that I can only get something I really want there. I don't know if this is going to be like that. I love form entry. Anyone know of any of the others that are form instead of worksheet entry??? I will check out the link with the list of other companies, but if anyone has found a form entry based software give a shout.

I agree. I think in general, businesses are going to cut cost and try to be lean and mean (no pun intended). And the easiest way to cut cost is to cut people and take shortcuts on training people.

I expect things to be better next year though. With a whole year, a lot of the Georgia people should be able to come up to par on ATX.

I don't have plans to change as of now. With the price of of the higher end programs, I think I'm getting a pretty good deal. If newcomers bring low end programs out, I may try one and see how they progress with their improvements. But they'll have to start out pretty basic just like ATX, then add improvements over the years. Then of course, they'll want to sell and make a killing too.

I switched...the lack of support and inconsistencies were driving me crazy. I'm trying two new software vendors: Intellitax for 1040's Drake for corporate. Yes I'm going through a learning curve...but guess what I actually have helpful support people to talk to! I'm also learning things too...I used to use the Joint box on ATX for husband/wife businesses running a schedule C business together...you know what? That's not the way it's supposed to be done...we're supposed to file 2 Schedule C's...I read the IRS instructions. I thought it was inconvenient when I couldn't do that with Intellitax..then I found out why!

So though I did love the way ATX navigated and the feel of it...I'm gone unless they can really step up to the plate and PROVE it to me.. It really seems odd when they were selling me the product I got calls returned..now I'm looking for my refund...noone can pick up the phone. I've put my credit card company on to them now.

Carolyn

I could see it coming so I switched to Drake. Yesterday I tried to efile some 1099s and they failed to upload to the IRS. I posted a message on the Drake Forum and in about an hour Debbie Land, a Drake employee, responded and told me two possible reasons. One reason, the culprit, was something in my start-up tray that I had just recently added. I deleted it and re-tried the efiling and it went through OK.

My point is that most software packages do not have the kind of support you get with Drake which probably has the best in the business. However, many ATXers would probably be uncomfortable with the Drake method of input which takes a while to learn. Some input methods seem pretty strange and misleading to me until I figure it out by trial and error or by making inquiries.

I switched...the lack of support and inconsistencies were driving me crazy. I'm trying two new software vendors: Intellitax for 1040's Drake for corporate. Yes I'm going through a learning curve...but guess what I actually have helpful support people to talk to! I'm also learning things too...I used to use the Joint box on ATX for husband/wife businesses running a schedule C business together...you know what? That's not the way it's supposed to be done...we're supposed to file 2 Schedule C's...I read the IRS instructions. I thought it was inconvenient when I couldn't do that with Intellitax..then I found out why!

So though I did love the way ATX navigated and the feel of it...I'm gone unless they can really step up to the plate and PROVE it to me.. It really seems odd when they were selling me the product I got calls returned..now I'm looking for my refund...noone can pick up the phone. I've put my credit card company on to them now.

Carolyn

"I read the IRS instructions."

scary

I called ATX tech support the other day and got through without too much delay. I was calling because a MA return had been showing Validated for 12 days and others had come back ok. After checking with someone else, she said they though it had been transmitted, but wasn't, and would be transmitted right away. The next day I called again as it had not changed, and the person told me "oh, it's just stuck in that mess with MA returns". Say what???? No other explanation, no other detail. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he said there were server problems and I just had to be patient. I told him I was a long time ATX user - since 1996 - and he said "well, it's just a bad tax season, and if you've been with ATX that long you've seen other bad seasons, like 2003 when the server went down." So, that was it...bottom line...just be patient. Can we tell that to the IRS and the state of MA? And to clients who are waiting for refunds to be deposited?

Wendy F. Katz EA

:scratch_head:

I guess I will add my 2 cents' worth.

At this point, at least, I am thinking that I will wait to make the decision for 2008 because of several possibilities:

1. To see if the general functioning of ATX (more tech support than program, I think) "improves with age and experience." There seems to be no doubt CCH has "shot themselves in the foot" in their handling of the ATX purchase and treatment of customers. BUT, perhaps, just perhaps, these "potholes" can, and will, be fixed. We'll see.....

2. I am wondering how, not IF, but how, the 2008 MAX product will change.

3. I am wondering how, not IF, but how, the 2008 product LINE will change. I think it is interesting to see CCH include the paperless component included "at no charge" this year. AND, to notice how they are "promoting" it! I am wondering how much of an increase this "inclusion" will make next next year's pricing. I don't WANT their paperless component. (I am happy with my own arrangements for a paperless office!) Will I have to accept it because it is "part of the package" - a package that could/may/might/will have a (substantial) increase in price? ESPECIALLY if the quality of service does not improve!

Time will tell - but the picture is not improving - at least so far! But for now, well, I will "watch and wait," and of course, keep notes!

None here yet have mentioned Lacerte, that I use in another CPA's office -- and that I switched to ATX from, six years ago, after Intuit bought it (and, of course, started hiking its price, charging for formerly free e-filing, etc.). Lacerte support *never* has failed me as not only ATX now does but also Drake did, when I tried that out, last summer. Lacerte's input is 'indirect,' as Drake's is, but much more intuitively clear, I feel -- and its REP system affords one *every* kind of return for *every* jurisdiction, without having to buy any of its over-priced (even six+ years ago) 'suite' packages. (And as I remember CCH & ProSystems from my apprenticeships in Big X firms.)

Check Lacerte out, as I certainly will after April 15. I want/need software & support that *works,* not promises or hopes that what sucks now might/should improve 'enough,' later.

VTY, TaxCPANY

I came to ATX from Intuit's ProSeries when the prices got too high. I've been very pleased with the ATX product. All the forms it does is impressive. All the payroll taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, etc. The only forms I've not been able to use it for are a few local Food & Beverage Tax forms.

Obviously, the tech support service has been worse this year than when ATX had their own. But, this is a transition year for CCH. It's their first year with it. And between the message board, and the the ATX website I've been able to resolve the few issues I've had. It's affordable for me, I think it's a very good value. I hope to not have to make a change. There's no guarantee that Drake won't be the next one acquired by some some inept giant, and be having the same issues that ATX has had this year. If all the ATX users switch to Drake, they might be overwhelmed by the increased volume, and have problems from that.

I came to ATX from Intuit's ProSeries when the prices got too high. I've been very pleased with the ATX product. All the forms it does is impressive. All the payroll taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, etc. The only forms I've not been able to use it for are a few local Food & Beverage Tax forms.

Obviously, the tech support service has been worse this year than when ATX had their own. But, this is a transition year for CCH. It's their first year with it. And between the message board, and the the ATX website I've been able to resolve the few issues I've had. It's affordable for me, I think it's a very good value. I hope to not have to make a change. There's no guarantee that Drake won't be the next one acquired by some some inept giant, and be having the same issues that ATX has had this year. If all the ATX users switch to Drake, they might be overwhelmed by the increased volume, and have problems from that.

I hope you realize that neither ATX, nor CCH have anything to do with the running of this board. It is being run by a group of ATX users that decided it was too great a resource to let disappear. ERC is the username of our webmaster, and he has a group of people assisting him. They are doing a wonderful job and deserve our respect and support.

CCH decided to DELETE the old ATX board just a few days before the end of tax season last year.

I hope you realize that neither ATX, nor CCH have anything to do with the running of this board. It is being run by a group of ATX users that decided it was too great a resource to let disappear. ERC is the username of our webmaster, and he has a group of people assisting him. They are doing a wonderful job and deserve our respect and support.

CCH decided to DELETE the old ATX board just a few days before the end of tax season last year.

Yes, I'm well aware that this board is a volunteer effort, and I appreciate it greatly. I'm sure I don't know all the effort that went into setting it up, & goes into maintaining it. I was just as shocked as anyone when CCH decided to kill the old message board.

My thanks to the people who organized this, and who maintain it.

There's a lot of legitimate dissatisfaction expressed here on this board, and I simply wanted to say that I'm pretty pleased with the package overall.

Yes, I'm well aware that this board is a volunteer effort, and I appreciate it greatly. I'm sure I don't know all the effort that went into setting it up, & goes into maintaining it. I was just as shocked as anyone when CCH decided to kill the old message board.

My thanks to the people who organized this, and who maintain it.

There's a lot of legitimate dissatisfaction expressed here on this board, and I simply wanted to say that I'm pretty pleased with the package overall.

I like my atx software and I like everyone here

I like extra crunchy peanut butter too

I do not like many of the CCH business decisions

I like Big Red soda and chicken pot pie but not mixed together

I met a guy yesterday named Bart that wore a black cowboy hat...I did not like him

I agree with Janitor Bob on everything but Bart; I don't know him so I can't comment.

Oh and Carolynn, before this year you could not file a H/W biz on two Sch Cs. They were a partnership on a 1065. The 'joint' Sch C box is ONLY for those of us in community property states, where it was, and is, still an option.