ATX Community

Minimum Fees $ What are your Minimum Fees

ed_accountant

What is everyone charging?

I am in CA, and my minimum charge for simple individual return is $250. Many of my clients ask for an estimate of fees..

How is everyone increasing your fees? Do you send a letter? or just gradually increase your bill?

This may be a touchy one or too much information for the internet.. Feel free to share - Thanks

I really don't have a minimum. I'm doing a stimulus for about $20. or maybe I won't charge if I'm in a good mood. Two volunteers for an organization I like got free returns. They may send over some Odwalla or organic blueberries from the food closet if they've got extra. Usually the minimum is $55 for a 1040-EZ.

I'm in CA and I can't see a $250 min. but then I don't have an office, etc.

$250-300 IS MY QUOTE too, depends on what they give me, number of stock sales, etc. covers a basic return, a few sales, mortgage deductions, 2-4 w-2's etc. and NY returns. I also add on efiling fees of $25-50 and expenses [postage, etc of $15 or more-most of mine go out 2nd day overnite]

Never do a 1040 ex, always a long form as I find it is actually quicker for me to do a long form as I know the line items better.

But minimum, if it could be an EZ, I have a min of $75, based on a $225 hourly rate and getting the return done in 20 minutes or less. Of course if they cause me to take longer the fee will go up.

Simple return (W-2s only) start at $65. Partnerships, Corps, Trusts, etc. are charged at $96 per hour. This goes up inversely with the condition of the books and documentation. I also charge relatives, except dependant minors.

All fees are increased by the PITA factor depending how big a PITA the client is.

Sign in my office states "Prices subject to Change...according to customer's attitude."

I'm in home office in MN and average 1040 with a couple of w-2s; sch a and couple other forms starts at $150...and it does vary according to client's record keeping and talking...some of my older clients just want to visit and gladly pay my price to do it. They know that their return gets more complex as they get older.....

I still have a couple of clients under $200. I'm trying to get everyone over $300 and entities $500-600 to start. (Well, not-for-profits and 1120-H are much cheaper.) If someone asks me, I say prices start at $500 so I can eliminate the price shoppers. But, if they ask me other questions first, then I'm more realistic talking about price.

Minimum for 1040A is $50. I don't have any EZ's, unless a client's kid. 1040 Sch A/B starts at $150 now, courtesy of ATX price increase. I do regular clients' kids for free and depending on the type of return, also their parents. Very small practice and this, for the most part, covers my expenses and CPE. It also leaves enough for me to stock up on JD Single Barrel, for stress relief. There are a few CPAs in town that start at $250 to $300, but they think their clients live in San Francisco. AND, the clients think so, too.

My minimum is $75, although I do a fair number of returns for free. Basic short form (EIC, child care, fed and state) is $85.

I really don't have a minimum. I'm doing a stimulus for about $20. or maybe I won't charge if I'm in a good mood. Two volunteers for an organization I like got free returns. They may send over some Odwalla or organic blueberries from the food closet if they've got extra. Usually the minimum is $55 for a 1040-EZ.

I'm in CA and I can't see a $250 min. but then I don't have an office, etc.

My minimum for business entities is $550. I increased my minimum fees a year or two ago to avoid the the price shoppers. My minimum return fee of $250 for individuals is equivalent to two hours. I estimate I spend at least two hours on every return which includes meeting with clients, input, telephone calls, assembly, etc...

as this post and responses suggest, there is no min fee answer.

it all depends on your particular set and setting - known as the supply/demand curve for your market.

in my small world of serious competetion, $250 for a 'simple return' would mean i have no business.

i also do not do returns on an earthquake fault line or in downtown nyc. :)

And it's a very long 85 or so miles from Sacramento to downtown San Francisco. I can't charge San Francisco prices, but I don't have to pay San Francisco rent, either.

as this post and responses suggest, there is no min fee answer.

it all depends on your particular set and setting - known as the supply/demand curve for your market.

in my small world of serious competetion, $250 for a 'simple return' would mean i have no business.

i also do not do returns on an earthquake fault line or in downtown nyc. :)

Ok, I just did a stimulus for $20. My cheap returns are actually somewhat of an 'early bird discount' the one W-2 EZ filers that come in the last week of January. The former tenants I even let pay me when they get their refunds. I know they are good for it.

What is everyone charging?

I am in CA, and my minimum charge for simple individual return is $250. Many of my clients ask for an estimate of fees..

How is everyone increasing your fees? Do you send a letter? or just gradually increase your bill?

This may be a touchy one or too much information for the internet.. Feel free to share - Thanks

My no-frills-basic 1040 and one state is about $155. Goes up fast from there; my _average_ 1040 return with schedules is close to $300. Had my first 1040 return break $1000 this year! I charge by form, so price shoppers can get a decent estimate if I think they're serious. Anyone who asks if my fees are negotiable get told "Yes! - Upwards only". Price shoppers are politely informed that they can get their taxes done cheap - or they can get their taxes done right; but they only get to pick ONE.

That said, if I do a 1040A or 1040EZ for a child of a client, that runs $30 - $50. I also give senior discounts and military discounts (10%). I put the full price on the invoice and then discount below - people seem to appreciate it more if they see it as a line item.

I haven't bothered to put fee increases in my letters. It just creeps up a bit at a time. I always look at last year's bill and see if this year's charge looks in line. Sometimes fees jump (either way!) because of changes in what they need (the Schedule C person who takes a W-2 job will see a big _drop_ in price the first full year without the SE business; the one who bought the rental property will see a jump _up_).

Catherine

• 2 weeks later...