ATX Community

What printers do you use?

jmabc

We used old bulky HP 4s for years. We bought a couple Dell 1720s this year, and they are having all sorts of problems. Continuously reprinting a page with just one line, etc. What type of printer would you suggest, and where can I purchase them? We could use 2 or 3.

Thanks

Joe

We used old bulky HP 4s for years. We bought a couple Dell 1720s this year, and they are having all sorts of problems. Continuously reprinting a page with just one line, etc. What type of printer would you suggest, and where can I purchase them? We could use 2 or 3.

Thanks

Joe

Lexmark E250dn laser printer....approx. $249.00 from www.lexmark.com

I have used two of these for over a year (one at home, one at office) and I love them!

Lexmark E250dn laser printer....approx. $249.00 from www.lexmark.com

I have used two of these for over a year (one at home, one at office) and I love them!

We have been using Brother HL5140 and Multi function Brother without any issues for several years.

I love HPs. They're workhorses. I also had an old HP 4L; my husband now uses it. I have a color 2550n which has been replaced by HP with a newer and cheaper model, maybe in the 2600 range. I might buy a black only with a small footprint and speedier printing this year or next. I've been watching sales at Staples and HP online, too. Some people swear by eBay and Craigslist.

Thanks

Joe

I have two laser printers that are just terrific: a Brother MFC-8840 DN (B&W multi-function machine) and a Brother 4070 CDW (color). They are networked, they both print duplex (slower than only one side but worth it), and they are both fast (again, duplex is slower because they have to flip the sheets). Set-up was surprisingly fast and painless. The high-capacity toner cartridges are about half again as costly as the regular ones, but do roughly triple the service.

At my husband's office they just got a slew of new HP printers and there are apparently some major compatibility problems with their computers. As well as with older equipment they have that cannot print data and reports to these new printers. The IT guys are very busy over there and lots of people are very unhappy about the situation. So before buying new HP's I'd want to do a "test run" for compatibility.

Catherine

I am also happy with the Brother MCF-8840. It has been a great copy machine & fax machine too. I have heard that there is a problem with scanning with Vista. My other printer is a HP 2015 which I don't think jammed once all last season. It is also my favorite printer ever for printing single envelopes. I don't think one of those has ever jammed either. Toner seems pricey.

I love HPs. They're workhorses. I also had an old HP 4L; my husband now uses it. I have a color 2550n which has been replaced by HP with a newer and cheaper model, maybe in the 2600 range. I might buy a black only with a small footprint and speedier printing this year or next. I've been watching sales at Staples and HP online, too. Some people sweat by eBay and Craigslist.

I just bought a brand new in sealed box on Ebay....P2035 for 126.54. Retails for 229 or can buy from HP with a 50 instant rebate for 179. I didn't expect to get that bid, but wasn't going any higher. Am retiring a 2200d which is getting cranky, but HP 1200 is still going strong.

I've used the Brother Multi-functions for years - MFC 8300 then the MFC 8500. They worked great. I was also using an HP 4500dn for duplexing. It was an old office workhorse I picked up cheap. I love the duplexing but it is slooooowwwww. I just replaced both with a Canon MF4350d. It's a multi-function and duplexer and is much faster than the HP. It normally sells for around $250, but Frys.com had it on sale Thanksgiving for $70! It seems good so far but I have not yet tested it for tax season.

The only issue I have so far (and have not yet researched to try to fix) is that I can't print to it through my print server. It works fine through a direct USB connection - so that will get me through the season.

We have used Brother MFC 8460N for two years with no problems. It is easy to use and inexpensive. We bought at local Office Depot. The only complaint I have is that it uses about 4 toners a tax season and we do about 400 returns. The toners are around $90 we did replace the drum this year and it was around $100.

I use HP 2430. It's not on ATX's list but I had no problems last year. The old HP4 got to be just too slow.

We still have an HP LaserJet 6MP. It's top speed is a blazing 6 pages per minute -- but it prints the APL fonts. So we keep it around mainly for that. But not too many years ago it was still my primary printer. It also still does a nice job with envelopes.

Catherine

We still have an HP LaserJet 6MP. It's top speed is a blazing 6 pages per minute -- but it prints the APL fonts. So we keep it around mainly for that. But not too many years ago it was still my primary printer. It also still does a nice job with envelopes.

Catherine

I have had a HP1200 as my main printer since 05. I know because I looked at the little post it notes that I put on it with the date every time I change the toner. I know it was inexpensive but does a fantastic job. I changed the toner 2/9/08, 3/24/08 (in the thick of tax season) and today 1/13/09. That's not bad, but e-filing does save a LOT of toner and paper. Hope I like the new one I ordered for backup as well.