ATX Community

I'd like to suggest that any who agree post to the suggestion box

kcjenkins

I'm going to be posting a suggestion that they add a Preference option on efile to Hold the entire efile both Fed and State. Right now you have an option to 'hold' the STATE efile, but not to hold both. I often finish a dropped off return and then have to wait for them to come in and sign. And each time I have to remember to change them from 'created' to 'held'. I'd really like the option to have them 'held' as the default, so no one gets 'accidentally' transmitted before it is signed.

If you think that would be a good option to have, please send your own 'suggestion', as I am sure that the more people ask for it, the more likely they are to add it.

I have no objections to the request or option but most likely would not use it. My practice is to select efile without the signature date input until I have the signature. That way I can determine if there are any issues before committing. When I have the signature in hand, I input the date signed, create and transmit. That way any forms that might be changed or program updates are the most current. With this procedure, I have never accidently efiled a return. But that's just me.....

It must be put on there when I create it the first time. I always send out the 9325 when the efile has been accepted and the number is shown on line 2. To be honest, I have been concerned with the signature declaring that the taxpayer(s) have examined a copy.... and that, when accepted, they know the actual DCN, the date accepted and the processing center as shown on the 9325. Guess I'll have to change my ways! Thanks for the assistance in correcting the error of my ways. I, for one, am always learning and for sure will never know it all. And to think I've been efiling since the second year possible and never noticed that. What an idiot I've been!

That is the problem, if you don't 'create' the efile, it does not have a DCN assigned. And so I have to create it, first. Especially if the client is in another state, and we are doing it all electronically. I have to print the pdf and send it to him to sign. Then I have to go and make sure that the efile is 'held'. I've been relying on the printing to cause a 'reject', but that makes me uncomfortable. I'd rather get it all set right, but 'held', until I get the signed form back. Then I can change the date signed to the actual date on the form, and create again, then transmit.

I just checked all my 8879's and they all have DCN's on them but, of course, they aren't the same as the 9325. I'm not convinced that is absolutely crucial because the 9325 has the actual DCN. In fact, if an efile was rejected for some reason, maybe an out of date form, one wouldn't have another 8879 signed, correct? Then the DCN wouldn't match.

In any event, I am now aware of the issue and agree that it would be nice to have the federal hold function. But now I'm baffled as to exactly how my 8879's get a DCN if they don't get all the way through to Create. I guess when I try to create without the date, the system assigns a DCN anyway. I just checked the most recent one I did. When I created the pdf, the DCN ended with 429. I efiled an hour or so ago and the DCN on 9325 ends with 459.

I will probably change after this season. I only have a couple more to do that I know will be efiled. I'm still not certain this is a terrible thing since I faithfully send the 9325.

I just checked all my 8879's and they all have DCN's on them but, of course, they aren't the same as the 9325.

Are you sure the numbers are not the same on both the 8879 and the 9325?

I often hit "create" just to get the 8879, like if I'm waiting on the bank numbers. It doesn't create, but the DCN gets populated. Then when I get what I'm waiting on, usually when the client picks up, I can create the e-file for real. The DCN doesn't change, or at least I don't think it does. Oh, no, something else to check on...

I spent 11 years at Block where we had a blank in the middle of the DCN number that we would hand write in after the return was transmitted and the number showed up on the Rapid Refund monitor. The client never had the full DCN number on the copy they signed nor on their copy of their return. And, Block never sent 9325s to clients. Could a big outfit like that get away with doing it wrong all those years. I do remember an "audit" where they had to separate disclosure forms or something from the 8879s, but not a word about the handwritten numbers on every form.

Different Suggestion

I have thought about suggesting that the client letter automatically print the same date as the return. I'll tell you why. Some of my PITA clients get to wait on their return longer than others. Yes, I really do that, and I'm ashamed. (Not really.) And sometimes, I just do an easy one to break the monotony, and I don't want them thinking I have nothing to do - "wow, she's not busy at all!)

What I do is override the date on 1040, p. 2, lickety-split, it's done. But it doesn't go to the client letter, and that dadgum thing is a pain to edit...

Would that suggestion be a problem for anyone? I don't want them to change something that you guys don't want changed.

Wow. I as read that up there, I realize that I am telling you all how mean I really am...

I always select "create efile" before putting in the date, that way I know it will not actually create the efile. But it assigns the DCN and it gives all of the reject messages. The goal is to have only the message that you must enter the date. I log the client in my DCN log so I have a record of the number. That way the forms print with the DCN and I know it doesn't have any reject issues that must be addressed. (Obviously not all because you can still get them after transmitting)

When I have my signed forms, then I put in the date and anything else still missing,

Select modify DCN and put in the DCN previously assigned. Then I hit create efile. Then it creates the file with the correct DCN.

I don't send out 9325. How important is the date on the computer input the same date that the client signs the hard copy. I know I have missed a few going back and changing the date before I send. I usually put the date that I print out and then when they come in a sign I try to remember to change date and recreate efile and then send.

I'm going to be posting a suggestion that they add a Preference option on efile to Hold the entire efile both Fed and State. Right now you have an option to 'hold' the STATE efile, but not to hold both. I often finish a dropped off return and then have to wait for them to come in and sign. And each time I have to remember to change them from 'created' to 'held'. I'd really like the option to have them 'held' as the default, so no one gets 'accidentally' transmitted before it is signed.

If you think that would be a good option to have, please send your own 'suggestion', as I am sure that the more people ask for it, the more likely they are to add it.

It might be useful to you, but I would never use it. What I do to prevent this, is after generating the e-file (and ensuring there are no errors etc.), I then go to a worksheet I know I want to print (like the Comparison, for example) and check the box to print. This causes the ATX program to think I have made an update to the return, and the e-file status is therefore no longer "created". This is one way I ensure I never send an unintended e-file. I have additional checks I do when actually transmitting - I have never sent an unintended e-file.

My 2 cents:

Before I print the return (if the client isn't in my office), I create the e-file then print it. After printing, the return shows up in the rejected e-filed returns. I have a sticky note to "e-file" on clients folder after it's signed. I then go to the return and enter the current date, create the e-file again and then e-file it. I go back to the "rejected returns" before the lights go off each night to make sure I e-filed those that were ready. Started this practice after I neglected to e-file one of my returns last year. Works like a charm.

On (not many) occasions, I have marked both the Federal and State reurn as "held".....and they both go to the "held" status so I'm not aware of what KC is talking about....????

It seems most here don't efile until form 8879 is signed, I usually get the consent of the taxpayer if I can efile return and then for them to sign the form once they come to pick it up. Most of my client drop off their return and pick them in a week, others take longer but the form is printed out the day it was efiled.

It seems most here don't efile until form 8879 is signed, I usually get the consent of the taxpayer if I can efile return and then for them to sign the form once they come to pick it up. Most of my client drop off their return and pick them in a week, others take longer but the form is printed out the day it was efiled.

It is diffently against the law to efile without a signed 8879

I don't know how critical 9325 is. I use it because it provides my clients with all the information on how to check on their returns, shows exactly when it was received and where. I put together a package for my clients that includes the federal and state letters, the 9325, the tax summary and comparison. On the rare occasion when I've had a phone call, I refer to the 9325 for details so they can follow up, if needed. That's my practice and it works for me. I don't have walk-ins and this has been my process for several years.

The 9325 is only required if a client asks you for it. I've sent one since the first year or efile, when almost everyone who got one called me to ask me what it was, what it meant, did they need to do something, etc? So I stopped, after about three weeks, sending them, and never have sent one since.

It IS required that you have the 8879 signed before you transmit the return, however, MAS. At the worst, the client might die before signing, or just disappear, and you are left having transmitted it but having no signed authorization to transmit. Or, more commonly, they might not pay for the return, and you have no leverage.