ATX Community

ATX Community upgrade

Eric

I'm going to be performing some upgrades to the forum within the next week or so, and I'll update this thread before the site goes down temporarily (most likely for less than a couple hours) for maintenance.

Would you mind seeing a new, more colorful design, Would you prefer to leave things the way they are? Indifferent?

Once the upgrade is complete, I'll be working on adding adjustable font sizes, and some other features. If you have any suggestions, please post them here, or in the Website Discussion forum.

I'm going to be performing some upgrades to the forum within the next week or so, and I'll update this thread before the site goes down temporarily (most likely for less than a couple hours) for maintenance.

Would you mind seeing a new, more colorful design, Would you prefer to leave things the way they are? Indifferent?

Once the upgrade is complete, I'll be working on adding adjustable font sizes, and some other features. If you have any suggestions, please post them here, or in the Website Discussion forum.

I wouldn't "mind" seeing a more colorful design, but I am VERY happy with things just the way they are. There is no way we can ever thank you enough for what you have done for us and our clients.....You gave us a home, whatever color you choose to paint it is fine with me.

I'd like a button that automatically generates a brilliant, witty, and technically competent response in my name whenever I see a post that interests me.

But even if you can't do that, I'm very happy with the forum as it is. Like most users, I'll try out any new features you add.

Thanks very much for all your efforts Eric, and thanks to Catherine for the reminder to donate.

I agree with Marilyn. This is wonderful as is but if you choose to make improvements, well, we'll let you know our opinion but it's your baby that you graciously share with us. I sort of think that you really enjoy tinkering with websites, etc. Hmmm, mine needs work!

Thanks again for ALL you do; we wouldn't be here without you.

I agree 100%

Do we need to add funds? Please let us know.

No need for funds, but thanks for asking :)

>>upgrades to the forum<<

I'll do the best I can. Let's see--haircut, clean shirt. Heck, I'll go all the way and even shake the granola crumbs out of my keyboard!

Sometimes it's best not to shake a keyboard upside down. You may get more than you bargained for.

I agree with Marilyn. This is wonderful as is but if you choose to make improvements, well, we'll let you know our opinion but it's your baby that you graciously share with us. I sort of think that you really enjoy tinkering with websites, etc. Hmmm, mine needs work!

Thanks again for ALL you do; we wouldn't be here without you.

I know that some people really don't like change, I just don't want to upset anyone. :) As for website tinkering, it's what I do 9-5 and then some.

Thanks for getting this board together. I really enjoy the friendships and camaraderie of everyone here. Anything or color is fine with me. Now can you clean my dirty house????

That depends, will you clean mine? I'm sure I'll get the better end of this deal.

That button thing from about, how about a feature to say, as an example, a button to link to a canned answer, or a button to insert a canned answer, or a button to link to a previous answer.

As an example

1. Qualified child test for dependency answer

2. Qualified relative test fro dependency answer

3. Head of household requirements answer

Just a random electrical impulse in my head.

I think I will volunteer to come clean your house, Eric. We are under an unrelenting heat wave in NW FL, hate to walk out the door. Our daughter and her 12 yr olds are visiting from Utah. We are trying to find things to do that don't lead to heat prostation. Caribou has to be cooler. MM

I'm sure it's cooler here, but boy it's muggy right now. It's been raining all week and the mosquitos at my house are almost as big as humming birds. Prepare to donate blood.

The "search" feature won't take anything less than four characters. That makes searching specifically for EIC or OIC or AMT and the like, very difficult. Don't know what if anything you can do about that.

Also, the path to get to your personal messages, signature, uploaded files, etc. is rather tortuous. Either clearer navigation, more complete menus, or accessible help might be nice. Not essential, though. One reason it's hard to recall how to get from here to there is I (at least) don't use those features all that often -- just enough so that I remember it's possible, but not how!

Catherine

The "search" feature won't take anything less than four characters. That makes searching specifically for EIC or OIC or AMT and the like, very difficult. Don't know what if anything you can do about that.

Also, the path to get to your personal messages, signature, uploaded files, etc. is rather tortuous. Either clearer navigation, more complete menus, or accessible help might be nice. Not essential, though. One reason it's hard to recall how to get from here to there is I (at least) don't use those features all that often -- just enough so that I remember it's possible, but not how!

Catherine

The 4 character minimum on searches is a limitation of the mySQL database engine. It drives me crazy too on other forums. It is possible to lower the limit, but it's uncommon, and from what I understand can cause the search to tax the server. I will look into improving the search though, I know there are ways around this. (note to self, look into sphinx search integration)

I'll do my best to make settings easier to find. Give me a shout after the upgrade if you're still having trouble, and maybe an explanation on my part will make things more clear.

a spell checker would be nice. I know nothing about web pages so don't know if possible

Spell check available now. Firefox has it's own spell check, and will automatically underline misspelled words in Red. Internet Explorer users will see a spell check button on the editor.