ATX Community

NY State Preparer Registration

ADGFINANCIAL

I think that's right Mike. But I do prepare two NY returns, so I do have to register even though I am a CPA, I'm not licensed in NY.

My interpretation is exactly opposite of yours. Despite the fact that you only prepared 2 NY state returns in 2009. IF you intend to file ONE NY state tax return in 2010 (for the 2009 filing season) you will be required to register but NOT to pay the tax, since the number prepared in 2009 were less than 10.

Lynn Jacobs, EA

Enrolled Agent

Notary Public

Kenner, LA

Bummer, I think I prepared 11 NY returns last year, so they have me in their sights. A couple of my clients stopped working in NY during 2008, so I expect to prepare no more than eight NY returns next season. If I'd had nine last year, I could avoid this whole mess for a year or so. Now, I have to register to even prepare one return next season. Oh well, can't stay off their radar forever. But, I'm sure the fee will encompass more and more of us and rise higher and higher each year. As fewer and fewer CT residents commute to NY, it'll reach a point where they'll have a hard time finding tax preparers at a reasonable cost. I'm going to raise my NY rates a lot. $100 to prepare maybe six returns plus my time and effort to deal with this new regulation plus taking a NY tax prep course this fall at $150 or so plus the aggravation of dealing with NY when clients don't get their refunds in a timely manner plus ... adds up to maybe a $25 increase per NY return fee. What do you think? What are you other non-NY preparers going to do about your NY return prep fees?

I'm with you on the retirement thing, Taxbilly! I used to have a NY client but she moved to VA so now know to pass on anyone else who might need a NY return.

My venue will be the ocean, mostly underwater.

I did one NY nonresident return two years ago, one NY part-year return last year, and don't anticipate any this year. But I'll definitely keep and eye on the total because of that limit of 10 before fees. But I think I'd bump up my NY return price for -any- return going forward -- or that would be the year where I expect maybe one and get twelve, and the first three or four wouldn't have been charged.

Thanks so much for the warning! We have our first fall EA meeting tonight and I'm going to warn everybody. I know folks who come in from western MA who do a number of NY returns.

When I retire the venues will be the bike path, the shooting range, my garden, and contra dances! Plus my favorite chair with books piled high around it.

Catherine

I did 11 NY returns last year for mostly friends and family. I'll have to spread this fee across the board.

This is also a good time for me to get pro active thinking about retirement. Don't need the aggravation. I can get that at a more pleasant venue ... the golf course.

taxbilly

In your case, I would refrain from signing them and mark them self prepared. No registration would be required under these circumstances.

Good luck.

Mike Dubin CPA

• 3 weeks later...