ATX Community

TRX is worrying the daylights out of me!

samingeorgia

I'm putting this on here because there was a big flurry of activity earlier this year about TRX. Evidently, I filled out one of their cards at the IRS Tax Forum and they are calling to try to get me to dump ATX and go with their (evidently) proprietary software. They keep touting some kind of card they have that people can load the refunds and other money on (such as paychecks) and that these people can get advances on the cards.

I'm going to load the program later this week and look at it, but I'm not expecting much.

They are quoting their software at $ 699, and say that it will do anything. Has anybody here looked at it?

First "Michael and Lynn", now this.

You know, I was upset at the cutoff of orders that happened back in April (or so) limiting the number of ATX licenses to 300 (or so).

I am amazed at what has happened at TRX during the past few months as it appears that they are trying to undo their connection with this (ATX) software and sell something else.

The TRX website for customers is out of business ( and has been for months).

Has anyone actually heard from them regarding the 2009 season?

Considering the hard sell they are putting forth in their sales calls, I'd say there's no love lost between TRX and ATX. Those people who bought ATX through TRX may get what they paid for in the upcoming season, but I'd say they will really get hammered by sales calls.

The sales reps keep asking me what I paid for ATX (as if they didn't know).

Has anyone actually heard from them regarding the 2009 season?

Yes, I talked to sales last week to see what's going on.

[background - Previously an ATX user, I had used TRX Intellitax for 2007 and TRX TaxWise for 2008. I am also an AARP/TCE instructor for TaxWise. I had renewed for 2009 and opted for ATX before the big flap about licensing restrictions.]

The new TRX software is the default choice for 2009, and is the only option available for new customers at this time. Since I was on the list for ATX before the May cutoff, TRX was willing to ship ATX for 2009, but it would be for one year only. They definitely would not be selling ATX for 2010. I was also given the option to revert to my last year's choice and receive TaxWise for 2009. Sales thought that they would continue to resell TaxWise in future years, but only to prior customers.

Since I had tried out the new TRX software and found it not to my liking, I opted for continued TaxWise support.

I did buy the new year's program through TRX. Since CCH has agreed to honor those just as if we bought it from them, I did not have to cancel or do anything at all. Effectively, nothing changed except that I saved $699 on the renewal.

I also took advantage of the TRX offer and signed up with them. During July, I received a phone call from CCH Customer Support and the gentleman advised me that CCH would be sending the product in November and that they would be offering all of the support.

I called CCH Customer Support today, after looking through these postings (1-800-638-8291), and the representative looked at my account and advised me that all was okay and that they would be shipping in November.

So it appears that TRX is no longer in the ATX business, but that for the 500 of us or so, we received an excellent discounted renewal.

Maribeth

Since it was us that caused all the ATX - TRX issues in the first place, maybe we should leave well enough alone.

TRX had issues with ATX because we (and I am one of the culprits here) started letting everyone know they were repackaging ATX for far less money than CCH sells it for.

We had numerous posts here on this, and several actually called CCH (I will say here though, that I did not do that one).

So here is what I know:

Since TRX needed a 2nd software to sell, and because of US they were limited on ATX to selling 500 units, TRX and CCH had to renegotiate their deal.

To avoid being held to exclusively selling one program (the repackaged Taxwise) CCH and TRX agreed that CCh would take back ATX and allow TRX to pickup a new repackaged tax software from another company. I believe their new software is from RedGear.

I was one of the 500 (sounds like a movie in the making) that purchased ATX through TRX. I have called TRX several times for various things and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are courteous, responsive and extremely helpful and supporting me with actual tax questions, even though they have agreed with CCH, that CCH is supporting the ATX software that TRX sold me (now that sounds like a run-on sentence). And I am still able to get to their forum.

Not that we should be afraid of CCH, I still think we should drop this subject, so not to hurt TRX anymore than has already happened.

At this point I intend to stay with ATX, because I like the software, not the company behind it.

We all know who has the big guns and who has already used them (they'll use them again, you can be certain of that).

We need alternatives, even if we don't like the software that TRX has to offer at this time. Lets not kill an alternative for those that want it, nor hurt TRX anymore than we already have.

Since it was us that caused all the ATX - TRX issues in the first place, maybe we should leave well enough alone.

TRX had issues with ATX because we (and I am one of the culprits here) started letting everyone know they were repackaging ATX for far less money than CCH sells it for.

We had numerous posts here on this, and several actually called CCH (I will say here though, that I did not do that one).

So here is what I know:

Since TRX needed a 2nd software to sell, and because of US they were limited on ATX to selling 500 units, TRX and CCH had to renegotiate their deal.

To avoid being held to exclusively selling one program (the repackaged Taxwise) CCH and TRX agreed that CCh would take back ATX and allow TRX to pickup a new repackaged tax software from another company. I believe their new software is from RedGear.

I was one of the 500 (sounds like a movie in the making) that purchased ATX through TRX. I have called TRX several times for various things and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are courteous, responsive and extremely helpful and supporting me with actual tax questions, even though they have agreed with CCH, that CCH is supporting the ATX software that TRX sold me (now that sounds like a run-on sentence). And I am still able to get to their forum.

Not that we should be afraid of CCH, I still think we should drop this subject, so not to hurt TRX anymore than has already happened.

At this point I intend to stay with ATX, because I like the software, not the company behind it.

We all know who has the big guns and who has already used them (they'll use them again, you can be certain of that).

We need alternatives, even if we don't like the software that TRX has to offer at this time. Lets not kill an alternative for those that want it, nor hurt TRX anymore than we already have.

So let me see if I have the gist of your monolog..

You got the ATX product of your choice (and usage) with support by CCH as it turns out - all of the advantages - for about 40% less than most of the rest of us pay?

I guess I saw the benefit at the time (40% off MSRP) for the risk of dealing with TRX. But now that risk is removed and those of you who ventured into the TRX web have come out smelling like a rose. I feel worse for not jumping.

And, oh, by the way, most of what has harmed TRX in this process is their own doing. They did not handle this opportunity well and have essentially been slapped around.

Don't be so sure about coming out smelling like a rose. TRX called me AGAIN this morning and asked how I liked the demo that they never sent me. I was polite to the caller because she got very flustered when I said that I had never gotten a demo. She is sending one now and I will take a look at it just to see what all the hoopla is about.

I do not agree that we are the ones who hurt TRX. They came on this board and shouted to the world that they were offering ATX at a greatly reduced price. I think we all believe in free enterprise and competition. However, TRX "bit the hand that fed them" and that same hand retailated. It IS nice to know that there are other choices out there in case CCH decides to make ATX inaccessible. But, for now, I am extremely comfortable with the ATX software and will continue to use it as long as it is available and I can afford it.

I am really angry that I signed up early and didn't jump ship to TRX or wait until now to sign up. I only got the 10% discount and now they are giving away 40 and 30% discounts. Next year I won't sign up early and even if they don't beg me to sign up again, at least I won't feel like such a moron. I love the software, but I really feel that they should treat their current customers a lot better.

Bonnie

>>I only got the 10% discount and now they are giving away 40 and 30% discounts.<< Could you point me to that?

taxbilly

The 30-40% discount that I referred to was purchasing through TRX early. It just ticked me off that CCH has agreed to provide all the admin and support for a discounted product. I feel as others do - that CCH should have recognized the disparity in treatment to their current (me) and former (purchased through TRX) and provided some relief.

I also know that will never happen.

Gee, after -one- call from CCH/ATX a couple months ago 'welcoming" me as a TRX/ATX client, I've heard -nothing- from anyone. Should I now be worried?

Went to a Drake seminar this morning; they've made lots of improvements the past couple of years. I'll do some extensions on Drake and see what it's like in "real time" -- who knows, next year I may jump ship to them! The price is sure great.

Catherine

Taxbilly,

Someone (I can't remember who) on this board and a couple of others said that they received a 30% discount offer to resign with ATX within the past couple of weeks. Also, CCH took back the earlier discounted TRX packages and is handling the support for the discounted price. I just feel like those of us who signed up in May should receive the same treatment.

Bonnie

Taxbilly,

Someone (I can't remember who) on this board and a couple of others said that they received a 30% discount offer to resign with ATX within the past couple of weeks. Also, CCH took back the earlier discounted TRX packages and is handling the support for the discounted price. I just feel like those of us who signed up in May should receive the same treatment.

Bonnie

Agreed.

I was one of the ones who signed up early. I'm thrilled that I got in at the lower price, but I am NOT thrilled that CCH got back involved. The main reason I went with buying through TRX wasn't the price, it was that they supported the software. Which is more than I can say for CCH last season. I dread the thought of going through another year with CCH.