ATX Community

New Rules for 1099's

Diane

Does this mean that I will have to send Office Depot a 1099? ATX for the purchase of the software? Target/Walmart where I buy some supplies? Which means that I will need ID numbers for all of them?

Diane

EXACTLY. That is why this really needs to be changed before it ever comes into play. The amateur tax-code writers in DC these days don't understand half of what they are writing, IMNSHO. This is a crazy, impossible burden to put on every business, just to make the IRS matching more complete. Plus, we know that the IRS will not be able to handle such a flood of new filings, either. I foresee the entire IRS 1099 system crashing if they actually keep this law as currently passed. Not to mention marches on DC that might well turn violent this time. Just reading it makes me want to hit someone.

Would that also include electric company, water company, heating oil, how about the real estate taxes or rental fee? Or perhaps gas for the company car? Boy this seems to be getting out of hand. Every check you write you will need info for 1099. Who has the time for this nonsense?

I was thinking last night (that can be dangerous) of the trees that are starting to bloom. In a few years these trees will probably be W9's and 1099's. That would be horrible. Global warming, more floods, less oxygen.... what are our elected officals thinking????? How about saving the trees and be environmentally friendly.

Needed that rant.

I was thinking last night (that can be dangerous) of the trees that are starting to bloom. In a few years these trees will probably be W9's and 1099's. That would be horrible. Global warming, more floods, less oxygen.... what are our elected officals thinking????? How about saving the trees and be environmentally friendly.

Needed that rant.

Now I understand. I had wondered what this provision was doing in a bill about health care, but now I understand. Once all the trees are cut down to make 1099's and w-9's, etc. I won't suffer from allergies so much in the spring! What a health care plan! :wacko:

Does this mean that I will have to send Office Depot a 1099? ATX for the purchase of the software? Target/Walmart where I buy some supplies? Which means that I will need ID numbers for all of them?

Diane

Can you please post a link to whatever brought this topic up??

Thanks!

Eli

Here is the original post that this thread was in reference to:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

The passage of the Healthcare reform bill included some of the most drastic changes to 1099 information reporting in over a decade. The bill included revenue raising provisions meant to seek greater compliance of the tax code via 1099 information reporting. General provisions included:

Ø The elimination of the corporate exemption from 1099-MISC reporting. (Public Law 111-148)

Ø The requirement to report payments for property (goods, materials, merchandise, supplies, etc.). (Public Law 111-148)

Ø A six-fold increase in penalties from $250,000 to 1.5 million. (H.R.4213, H.R.4849)

Ø A doubling of penalties per record from $50 to $100. (H.R.4213, H.R.4849)

Beginning for payments made after December 31, 2011, companies will be required to furnish and file form 1099-MISC for payments made to all for-profit companies regardless of corporate status. In addition all payments for goods, materials, merchandise, supplies, and other property will need to be reported as well. Early indications reveal that these changes will likely cause the 1099 reporting volume to increase significantly for most companies as well as the associated B-Notices. [You think?????]

While the law applies to payments made after December 31, 2011 companies need to make broad changes to:

1) W-9 procedures to include all vendors.

2) Solicit W-9's for corporate vendors.

3) Prepare for larger 1099 year-end printing, mailing, and filing.

4) Make the appropriate budgetary and system updates to accommodate these changes.

Hey Guys!!

I just had a (paranoid) thought! These new rules would make it rather easy for a well-connected someone to track who does business with whom, how much is being paid, who do you associate with in a business, etc. I wonder if there is a tax-related reason for this, or if the motive might be somewhat more sinister. There is such a thing as too much knowledge when government (or even giant corporations)is involved.

• 3 months later...

It has never made any difference how you pay your vendors - a payment is a payment. So yes, if you use a credit card for all of your bills, you would still have to prepare 1099's as appropriate.

UPDate.... If you charge expenses on your credit card you DONOT have to send a 1099. The credit card companies are responsible to file the new form 1099K for all charges.