ATX Community

W-12 is finally here (PTIN Application)!

TAXBILLY

From a colleague who tried this morning: The PTIN registration system seems to be partially functional this morning: https://rpr.irs.gov

You can sign up for a userid on the system, but the ability to actually obtain or refresh a PTIN isn't available.

For those that prefer to register on paper, the W-12 (replaces the W-7) is available as well: http://www.irs.gov/p...rs-pdf/fw12.pdf

This is what I get when I click on the link:

"Note: This product will be posted here soon. Products are generally posted overnight after each workday. Please check back to see when this product will be posted."

I guess they found something in the form that was not to their liking.

I stuck my paper form in the mail today, after trying the online yesterday and finding no links etc. Just wanted this particular chore OFF my to-do list.

Gail, I think you are correct. However, I was able to access the form on Thurs; have not been able to since. They must be correcting something. I wouldn't get too worried about it.....YET!

I think they pulled the form because people were trying to register on the website but the website is not ready yet.

taxbilly

I was able to get PTIN without any problems. If you try after 9pm EST it looks to go smooth as there might be less traffic. BTW I got the same PTIN #.

Devm

I'm thinking, only if you are a Male and primary taxpayer on your tax return. If you are a woman and filed MFJ, you get dumped because your SS does not match the return for the year you indicate. Imagine them not thinking of a little thing like that when they were programming.

Your explanation as to the reason why mine may have been rejected for mismatch sadly makes sense. I could say a lot about assumptions but won't. Suffice to say I didn't change my last name from Champion to Miller (although my husband seriously considered changing his to mine - more interesting, at least) when marrying in 1979. When solicitors ask for Mrs. Miller and my reply is that there is none but Mr. Miller is my husband, the typical response is, "I'm sorry," to which I reply, "I'm not. We've been happily married for xxx years." That nearly always brings a chuckle.

Your explanation as to the reason why mine may have been rejected for mismatch sadly makes sense. I could say a lot about assumptions but won't. Suffice to say I didn't change my last name from Champion to Miller (although my husband seriously considered changing his to mine - more interesting, at least) when marrying in 1979. When solicitors ask for Mrs. Miller and my reply is that there is none but Mr. Miller is my husband, the typical response is, "I'm sorry," to which I reply, "I'm not. We've been happily married for xxx years." That nearly always brings a chuckle.

That is Soooooooo interesting. My last name is Champine.