ATX Community

EFIN ??

OldJack

I have never efiled. Last year (2009) I registered with IRS eservice and received a confirmation code but I have never seen a EFIN number that ATX needs in order for me to efile. What does an EFIN look like and how does one get it?

Go here: Pub 3112 and find all the info you need.

Do it NOW, because they require 45 days to process an EFIN before you can actually e-file returns. The EFIN itself is a six-digit number.

Catherine

Are the 6 digit number all numbers or are there also letters? Does the confirmation code contain the EFIN number?

They are all numbers........no letters. If you have access to IRS's E-services for Tax Professionals, you should be able to find it there. OR..try calling 866-704-7388 which is the E-filing help number.

My guess is that when you signed up, you signed up for e-services. The e-file application process requires specific info a little similar to the ptin application as well as a submission of fingerprinting. So unless you have done that you will net to get going on your application to be able to e-file at the beginning of the tax season.

Deb!

I believe all EFIN applications require fingerprints. A way to verify identity. Other than the hassle to get the fingerprinting done, and the time delay to get the EFIN, I have no objection. I fly straight and don't have to look over my shoulder, so my fingerprints are no big deal. I would want some kind of trackablity and verification for someone allowed to electronically send personal information to the IRS.

Teachers,HealthCare workers, Daycare workers and anyone who has a public job that involves children, all have to do the same thing.

I had no problem with the fingerprinting either. It is so long ago now that I hardly remember. Yes, the inconvenience was the biggest issue. I remember my husband taking me to the police station on one of the coldest days of the year. Good luck to all of you new e-filers.

I believe all EFIN applications require fingerprints. A way to verify identity. Other than the hassle to get the fingerprinting done, and the time delay to get the EFIN, I have no objection. I fly straight and don't have to look over my shoulder, so my fingerprints are no big deal. I would want some kind of trackablity and verification for someone allowed to electronically send personal information to the IRS.

Teachers,HealthCare workers, Daycare workers and anyone who has a public job that involves children, all have to do the same thing.

Call the IRS toll free at 866-255-0654 to request a fingerprint card for any principal or responsible official who is not an attorney, certified public accountant or enrolled agent and

Get fingerprinted by a trained professional at your local police station or at a company that provides this service;

When I got my EFIN, the first two digits were the same as the first two digits of an EI number for this part of the state. This may be different now since the EI numbers are no longer the same as they were back in those golden days of yesteryear.

The EFIN is usually hyphenated when written; e.g. 75-1234.

I was never fingerprinted. It might not have been required when I got my EFIN or I may have be exempted since I'm a CPA.

When I got my EFIN, the first two digits were the same as the first two digits of an EI number for this part of the state. This may be different now since the EI numbers are no longer the same as they were back in those golden days of yesteryear.

The EFIN is usually hyphenated when written; e.g. 75-1234.

I was never fingerprinted. It might not have been required when I got my EFIN or I may have be exempted since I'm a CPA.

I think you are referring to an employer Identification number. The EFIN number that I received way back when was not hyphenated.

Deb!

FIngerprints were not needed for EAs when I got my EFIN very late in 2007. I was waiting until the last minute (well, 45 days before mid-January e-filing opened) for reasons I won't put in print. However, I received my EFIN in something like 12 days or something surprisingly short. Don't expect less than 45 days, though, and get started now.

I got my efin as soon as I set up shop. I can't remember if I had to get fingerprinted; I had to to get a license to sell cars back in the 90's, and to get my CPA license.

Funny! I had to get a license to sell cars in the 70's and it is still active. My husband, and now our boys, are still in the same business at the same location. Guess who does their accounting and taxes!