ATX Community

choosing certain forms to print

Janitor Bob

When I print returns, I do not want to print everything that ATX checks by default. Every time I print, I have to take the time to go through and un-check a bunch of items. Is there a way to get the program to "remember" these choices for future printing of other returns? For example, The ohio return (OH IT1040) and Ohio school district (SD-100) contain a last page that simply states "Please do not enclose any worksheets or other documentation unless it is specified on the tax return or instructions"

There is absolutely no need to print this page on either form...but every time I print, ATX chooses all pages and I have to remember to un-check them.

Am I missing an option or setting? The is a "Remember selection" box to check...but that only causes ATX to remember your choices for that print job...better than previous years, but it still does not remember choices on the next return I print.

I don't think this is possible. Maybe if you use a template, but not all your returns will match the template.

Since we are e-filing everything, when we invoke form 8879, we need it to print, but the program doesn’t select it automatically for printing. ALSO, form 8867 is not printed automatically and I normally write the due diligence questions on that form and ask clients to sign it.

We could ask ATX to change the settings for us. For example, Sch D will not print if it is not required for paper filing. You have to select it manually on the form tabs (not the printing menu) if you want to print when only a portion of the form is filled out. With e-filing, it should print automatically since it is for client's records.

When I print returns, I do not want to print everything that ATX checks by default. Every time I print, I have to take the time to go through and un-check a bunch of items. Is there a way to get the program to "remember" these choices for future printing of other returns? For example, The ohio return (OH IT1040) and Ohio school district (SD-100) contain a last page that simply states "Please do not enclose any worksheets or other documentation unless it is specified on the tax return or instructions"

There is absolutely no need to print this page on either form...but every time I print, ATX chooses all pages and I have to remember to un-check them.

Am I missing an option or setting? The is a "Remember selection" box to check...but that only causes ATX to remember your choices for that print job...better than previous years, but it still does not remember choices on the next return I print.

Instead of unchecking, I usually do the opposite, click on custom, then check the forms I want. Not sure which way is better.

I also have always done the "Custom" for both my copy and the client copy. Rather than agonize over it, I just do it and after a while it becomes "old Hat". You quickly learn which worksheets, etc you want to have in the printed file. Especially when the least expensive paper I can find right now is $30 a case.

my biggest beef is with the client letter. There is a huge bunch of crap that prints with it, and I only want the privacy statement for the client copy and cover sheet for preparer's copy (the client copy prints with a big watermark...). I like the client copy to have the watermark as well as the SSN & bank info supressed.

I haven't used ATX for the last two years. However, I did use ATX almost from their beginning and the print issue has always irritated me. I did the custom print routine as others have mentioned. I used to hate having to sort the return after printing because ATX prints it in thier pre-determined order. This is not a push for TaxWorksa, but, they have a feature called distribution sets that you can create a default set and the order of printing is fine. It is nice to grab the return from the printer and not have to sort it.

When I print returns, I do not want to print everything that ATX checks by default. Every time I print, I have to take the time to go through and un-check a bunch of items. Is there a way to get the program to "remember" these choices for future printing of other returns?

I see a new option in Preferences - Print Manager:

Remember Print Manager selections for each return

I haven't seen any description on what this actually does, but it at least sounds like it is a step in the right direction. Does anyone have any experience with this new preference?

It will remember what you printed last time. so if you have to re do the return and re print then when you go into print all the custom print options or whatever was already there and you just hit print. Now hopefully this will rollover next year and all we have to do is hit print. But is based on each return not all returns

It will remember what you printed last time. so if you have to re do the return and re print then when you go into print all the custom print options or whatever was already there and you just hit print. Now hopefully this will rollover next year and all we have to do is hit print. But is based on each return not all returns

This is a helpful feature added this year, but it would be really nice if there was the option to save these printer settings globally for all tax returns....So that the user could choose exactly what forms/pages would be selected to print by default when the print manager opens.

How about if they roll over to next year and next year you add form XXXX and you click print, it might not print form XXXX. I don't see this as nice feature even if rolled over.

Yes, I thought about that afterwards. But it does save time this year if you have to do a re-do. I always do the custom printing and only print one copy and use the copier for all the rest. CLient get orginial and my file copy gets the copy and if paper then they also get a copy. mostly efile. I do have some that still want nothing to do with efile. I will see if that changes this year.