ATX Community

NT - Am I the only one?

Ray in Ohio

My eyes are burning and I'm tired. But, it's not because I'm working long and hard (which I am, by the way); it's because I'm not working efficiently. My very new, very expensive Dell keeps shutting down, and after three months of Dell technicians (also bought the upgraded tech support with next-day, on-site service; but try to get them actually to come out!) telling me I don't have a hardware problem, my computer overheated and shut down for the final time. So, I'm working on my laptop which is set too high on a tiny L-shaped desk with my old chair. If the right fan doesn't arrive today for my desktop, I really need to move it over to my main desk so I can work more comfortably. I loaded my tax software, but I'm not licensed for a second computer. I need to call on that and see if there's an easy way to get all my configurations on this laptop's software -- preferences, prices, etc. -- without typing them all in one at a time. And, how to be able to e-file from this laptop. And, get 2009 on this laptop. (Yes, I had my 2010 returns backed up, so they're on this laptop; however, I roll over as I expect a client, so need to roll over more 2009 returns now.)

I feel frustrated that I've spent more time on the telephone with Dell than I've spent preparing tax returns. Of course sitting shiva in PA for a week with my new daughter-in-law who lost her father didn't help my schedule. But, my fury with Dell gives me a headache each day. They kept telling me I don't have a hardware problem, I must've updated some software. When the loud grinding noise started, I held the phone near the computer! The one technician trip that I received -- Dell did not send the right part, and now it's backordered and unavailable -- just took my time and theirs. They won't replace the hard drive unless it fails again within a week of installing the new fan that's not available to install. They won't send a new power supply until they try a new fan that's not available. And, they sent only two of the four fans. One part at a time, so only one try so far! And, a replacement system would take four weeks after it's approved. Even most of the supervisors still have Indian accents, and the one that spoke understandable English was still overseas in a call center with no authority to do anything.

I returned from PA a week ago Thursday night, and the computer failed again Friday before I could get any work done. So, I canceled my clients from last Friday through today and moved them to this weekend and next week. The latest ETA on the fan was three business days to get into the tech's hands, and then he calls me to make an appointment; with the weekend, I won't even get a call before next Wednesday. I'm interviewing clients and have piles of folders and started telling people after the failed service visit on Tuesday that I'll be filing extensions. Most of my clients followed me from Block a few years back, so aren't used to extensions. They're also higher income and owe, and I'm getting through returns so slowly (late at night after I get off the telephone) that I won't have good numbers for how much they need to send with their extensions. They will give me LOTS of grief re P&I when we finally file.

I have a local techie who helps me, but he can't get the part either. I might get him over this weekend to add a monitor to my laptop and help me understand (I'm an old lady with not a lot of computer skills) getting this laptop authorized to efile. Glad I upgraded to a new laptop this year also. Didn't think it'd be my main computer. It does have a great screen. I haven't completed a return since Saturday 12 March when Jimmy went into the ICU on a ventilator while the newlyweds were flying back from their New Zealand honeymoon and thought he was doing fine in rehab.

Thanks for letting me vent. Back to cleaning up a spreadsheet to import -- thank goodness for "import" -- for a new client with 4 million in stock trades (wish my screen were even larger). :wall:

I have all my/our computers custom manufactured for me by a company that is just 45 miles from here. Price is not as good as the giants, but I have 24/7 live American tech support, and next day UPS shipping if a replacement or part is needed. The systems are NOT proprietary and the scarce 3-4 times in the past 7 years I needed support, problem was fixed the same day.

No more major name brand computers for me.

"The best price is not always the best product."

I can always count on RitaB to cheer me up!

I did look at local companies. This is pricey Fairfield County, CT, so hourly rates before factoring in parts, mileage, etc., were well over $130/hour over a year and a half ago when I started shopping, so estimates were in five figures for building just a single computer or two if I wanted a service contract. I found a local techie who could set me up and take phone calls and come over in less than a day (IT director at a CT company that downsized him to four days/week, so he's taking private clients), and he liked Dell. Of course, the treatment he gets when buying for his day job where he spends in the six figures every year at Dell is different than the treatment I get buying two computers from Dell in my entire lifetime.

I grew up in IL, went to college in MI, lived a decade in beautiful Santa Barbara, CA, and really miss those prices. This is a very expensive place to live, and I'm going to keep raising MY rates until I can keep -- or retire!

Lion - wow..... so sorry for all that bad karma, etc.

Like Jack from Ohio (maybe an Ohio thing?), I have had my last 5 computers built by the guy (DR Micro) about 2 miles from here. All generic parts that he can replace and he knows the system inside out. He sets up everything, transfer data and programs, customizes some things and more. For my business, after my first and only name brand debacle years ago, custom made is the only option. He can link in from his place, too, in case something even looks funny to me. I also take it in just before tax season for a spa treatment where it gets dusted, cleaned in every way, and tweaked. Then I take him donuts a couple of times a year and wine at the holidays.

I have a service contract/off-site back-ups at VMS, but they can't "see" my computer when it's off. And, my local guy can remote in; he also passes my house on his way to and from work and now is off three days/week. He even stopped by on his way home from sitting shiva in PA (I met him through my daughter-in-law). You're right though, Margaret, that it's easier to wine and dine a local guy than someone in India!

Lion,

I feel your pain. I have had so many computer problems this season that I am ready to hang it up. I have a new Dell, also, but am not using it, because I ran out of time to transfer what I needed from the old computer before tax season, so the new one is sitting in my office with the programs but no data yet. It was networked last week, but I don't have the time to do anything. My old computer is slowly dying and I pray every day that it will still be alive every morning. I've had four different technicians work on it this season. One day I came in and my user account was on and it said that the administrator was logged on. I started bawling and got Guy from VMS to help me get back on and another guy came that afternoon. The afternoon guy said that he thought that I had been hacked and then I really get upset. Fortunately, Guy and my intown IT guy both looked it over and said that I hadn't been hacked and that it had something to do with my computer setting up a new admin account because it though something was wrong with the old one. Something about my logging off at the exact time that my online backup was trying to get in. Then my VPN router went bad and I spent hours on the phone with Linksys while they tried to help me get it set up. Come to find out there was nothing they could do because the admin for my building had to open a port or something. I am so far behind even with working 14 -15 hour days. I am too old for this. Prom is this weekend for my only son and I have to work tonight on setup for post prom and all night tomorrow. My husband wants me to back out of volunteering, but in two years he will be in college and I can't get this time back. Hang in there. I hope that things get better for both of us.

My IT guy is coming to upgrade me to a new computer tomorrow morning. Mine is on its last leg and is slower than molasses! Very frustrating (but not as frustrating as issues Lion and NECPA are having). He promises me that I will do taxes on my old machine while he sets up the new machine, I will leave to get a cup of coffee, and when I come back, I will sit down and start doing taxes on my new machine, which will supposedly run at the speed of light (okay . . . maybe a slight exaggeration). I am going to hold him to his word (or have a screaming baby fit).

NECPA, know how you feel. When my son was in high school and college he couldn't believe that his mother pulled all-nighters too! I was off work for a week for a death in the family, so was really hoping to finish strong this last month.

I nursed my old Gateway through last season and through extensions to avoid Vista and stay on XP until I ordered the new Dell with Win7 in December. I way thinking my local techie would refurbish the old Gateway for me to use for Scan & Flow and as an emergency back-up. But, since I was spending an outlandish amount of money anyway on the new Dell desktop and three monitors and tech support contracts, I decided at the last minute to add a new laptop to my Dell order. Thought QB and Excel only and just in case my daughter worked for me once in awhile. The old Gateway is not salvageable, so I'm very glad I got this laptop. But, I did hire a very PT assistant, and now have no computer for her to do Scan & Flow and QB. She's done some QB at her home and is doing a lot of sorting for me.

My eyes are red and my face is red, probably raised my blood pressure. Think I'll go test my blood sugar and make a cup of tea.

Thank you, everyone. You all understand.

I feel your pain.

I usually see my computer guy once a year when I get the ATX disk. This year he had to come back in January because my hard drive failed in my laptop. Was cheaper to buy a new one (Dell) than fix it. A few weeks later he had to come back because it was not networking correctly and Dell had put a trend micro antivirus program on it that required a password. Not knowing what it is we had to contact Dell. The technician had never heard of a password being needed and had to take over my computer to systematically delete about a hundred files before he was able to "disarm" it and I then was able to install AVG which has been trouble free for me over many years. Yesterday the Windows Live Email program stopped working so my computer guy was here for about an hour this morning trouble shooting it and not having any success. We decided to just install Microsoft Outlook, a program that has been worry free for me also over many years.

Forgive my wordiness but I have to vent before returning to these 75 odd returns in various stages of completion and I will return the seven calls I got within the last two hours Monday.

Now back to the dungeon!

taxbilly

Oh, Rita L -- my most sincere sympathies on your computer problems!!!!

Mine are nothing by comparison -- a several-year-old Dell with a slowly failing keyboard. Shift key stops letters from coming up at all, space bar is flaky, and m's and n's don't always show up. A client loaned me another keyboard but I'm too far behind to try installing it; easier and maybe faster to keep fixing and fixing all the drop-out letters and lack of capitals. Good for you, though, for sitting shiva with your daughter-in-law; some things are just more important than tax forms.

Sympathies to everyone else who is having issues with computers and health.

As for me, on Wednesday I re-tweaked (sprained) my left hip and have been in reasonably bad pain ever since (couldn't get out of bed Thursday morning without help). I've still been _very_ lucky, as today it's down to a nasty ache and I'm trying to wean myself off the high-dose motrin I've been glugging since Wednesday noon. Have been alternating working sitting down until it hurts too much, then working standing up until my wrists give way, and getting headaches from the weird angles with the monitors.

More glitches than usual this year, too -- I've used Gruntworx in the past very successfully but this year it hasn't been indexing my pdf's properly (same scanner as last year so it's not the scanner). It did such a BAD job getting three accounts of stock trades into Excel that I re-scanned those three accounts at a higher dpi level and re-submitted -- and it left off ONE ENTIRE ACCOUNT's worth of data. So I have to call them on Monday and bitch them out.

Every time this year that I feel like maybe I have a handle on the work flow, it spirals out of control again. It's been just horrid. For next year I hire help. In November, so I can get him/her trained by January.

Catherine

Thanks for all the well wishes.

I spent today really getting everything on my laptop, not just the bits when I thought it'd be very temporary. I use ProSystem fx, and their tech support is absolutely amazing! It's been worth every penny. No wait, and talked me through the steps. I'd have missed a step that would've cost me some of my pay-per-return authorizations if I hadn't called. And then someone else in another department is going to watch my upcoming invoices to make sure I still get my old price on those authorizations. ( I wish the Dell support was even a fraction as efficient.) I actually took the time to stay on the line for their satisfaction survery. I miss my larger screens, but the laptop is also new and has a very sharp screen. I think my local techie can hook up one more monitor to the laptop.... And, I'll call VMS to get my automatic backups going again to the cloud and my external hard drive, instead of the manual backups I've been doing since I turned off my overheated desktop. :wall: Catherine found just the right emoticon!

• Like 1