ATX Community

What ATX years are Windows 7 compliant

BulldogTom

I am going to have to upgrade all of my computers this year. After 6 years, they are too slow to run the software. But I want to keep all my programs from 2007 - 2010 on my system. I will be keeping one of the computers with the software from 2000 - 2010 at home as a backup.

Which years of ATX run on Windows 7

Tom

I found a thread on the ATX site and ATX is not supporting 2007 and 2008 on windows 7. Only 2009 and 2010.

I wonder how long they will allow XP Pro for future versions. I can get some new XP Pro computers, but I don't know how long until CCH forces us to move to Win 7. If I could go 5 more years before I have to switch, I will stay with XP.

Tom

Lodi, cA

I have ATX 2008, 2009 & 2010 on my machine and they run without problems. Based on my one months experience with Win7, it's running all my old XP apps just fine. The Win7 version I bought includes a feature called "XP Mode" that theoretically allows you to run any Windows XP apps that don't run well in Win7. I've not had to use it but I'm glad I have it just in case.

In any case, if you're like me, you'll be very glad you switched over.

Good Luck!

I am running 2006 thru 2010 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. No issues at all. New computer last tax season.

Secondly, I instaled a KVM switch and kept my old XP computer connected to the router and the workgroup. I can switch between the two computers with just 3 keystrokes and use the same monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers for both.

I have been called a geek, and LOVE the designation.

Buy Windows 7 Pro. It has the XP mode, and runs all my old programs. I had a bit of a problem installing some of the older year's ATX, but apparently I went about it wrong. Oddly enough, the really old years, like 1998 were fine. It was 2006 & 2007 I couldn't get to work properly. for back returns, I just do 'em on the old laptop.

The main reason I bought the Pro and Ultimate versions of Windows 7 rather than the Home Premium is because we are networked. If I am not mistaken, the network requires that we upgrade from Home to Pro.

Windows 7 home will work on networked environments too, but Windows 7 Pro is better to set up and maintain.

I have ATX 2007 - 2010 on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit computer and the only problem I have is that it opens too fast and I don't have time for my coffee. My old computer took about 5 minutes to open ATX and it was coffee time.

Remember that supporting means nothing. Do you know that Microsoft was scheduled to end support for Windows XP Professional 04/14/2009 and that date was extended to 2014? It didn't mean that Windows XP was going to stop functioning in 2009.

What does "we don't support ATX 2008 on Win 7 64bit" mean? It means that if you have serious problems, you will need to reinstall or call your own tech support to solve problems. It doesn't mean that the program will not work with windows 7.

Win 7 Pro automatically install all 32 bit programs on the (86) directory. You don't need to do anything just install and Win 7 knows how the new program likes to be treated.

Close your eyes and install windows 7 64bit and you will have no problems with ATX. How frequent do you use ATX 2006? Once a year if you are lucky, correct? For that, please keep your old computer (you might have to pay usage state tax) and install ONLY ATX 2008, 2009 and 2010 on you new computer. Remember that you don't to install programs on your new computer that you will use only about 3 times in the next 3 years.

Windows 7 home will work on networked environments too, but Windows 7 Pro is better to set up and maintain.

I have ATX 2007 - 2010 on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit computer and the only problem I have is that it opens too fast and I don't have time for my coffee. My old computer took about 5 minutes to open ATX and it was coffee time.

Remember that supporting means nothing. Do you know that Microsoft was scheduled to end support for Windows XP Professional 04/14/2009 and that date was extended to 2014? It didn't mean that Windows XP was going to stop functioning in 2009.

What does "we don't support ATX 2008 on Win 7 64bit" mean? It means that if you have serious problems, you will need to reinstall or call your own tech support to solve problems. It doesn't mean that the program will not work with windows 7.

Win 7 Pro automatically install all 32 bit programs on the (86) directory. You don't need to do anything just install and Win 7 knows how the new program likes to be treated.

Close your eyes and install windows 7 64bit and you will have no problems with ATX. How frequent do you use ATX 2006? Once a year if you are lucky, correct? For that, please keep your old computer (you might have to pay usage state tax) and install ONLY ATX 2008, 2009 and 2010 on you new computer. Remember that you don't to install programs on your new computer that you will use only about 3 times in the next 3 years.

I have just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, and so far it has been great. We had a bit of trouble networking however I think we may have it fixed now. My tech guy could find no reason for the problem, but after one day and a shut down it booted all the computers off the network except one. But I was having the same problem with the old computer set up as well. So were not exactly sure what the problem was or is, but so far I am extremely happy with the speed of program load up and over all functionality of Windows 7. It does take a little getting use to as names of things and how you find them has changed a little. But I love my new computer!

Deb!

I am running 2006 thru 2010 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. No issues at all. New computer last tax season.

Secondly, I instaled a KVM switch and kept my old XP computer connected to the router and the workgroup. I can switch between the two computers with just 3 keystrokes and use the same monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers for both.

I have been called a geek, and LOVE the designation.

Same here! 2006-2010 no issues at all. Using Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1

Eli

• 9 months later...

I am a fairly new ATX user and just started working on a client with multiple years of unfiled tax returns. I installed ATX 2005 and 2006 on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit computer. Installation went fine, but I'm having problems now. I create a new return in ATX 2005, save it, and exit. Then restart the program and the return is not there. Gone. Also, none of my preferences that I previously set are still there. It is like I never previously opened the program.

To further confound the issue, if I open the Backup/Restore function, the files I created are there. I can restore one of them, but then when I open up ATX 2005 the return is not there. It says "0 of 0 returns" are listed.

I have a computer that is running Windows XP Pro and am now installing ATX 2005 there to see if the problem disappears.

Any suggestions?

That's the problem I had with transfering over 2005 files. They just disappeared. So I've kept the programs on my laptop to do old years. But apparently I went backwards in years installing the programs to see which ones would work. If you start with the oldest, and then install in that order, it seems you won't have issues. I just checked and I didn't import the files for 2007 or 2004 either, but I can't remember if I had the disappearing files issues with those years as well, or if I just gave up.