ATX Community

Quickbooks ProAdvisor Program

ed_accountant

I have been a member for years, but this year I am not renewing due to the price increase. The Renewal of the Quickbooks ProAdvisor Program is $549 plus sales tax.. And that includes their $50 discount.. I really dislike how they push all the clients to renew the software every year so you are forced buy quickbooks over and over again and again. I really dislike Intuit!!

Does anyone get any value out of this pro-advisor program..?

I may still renew now, since I would get two years of Quickbooks since they issue the software every November. I would get the 2012 version now and the 2013 in November... However, I am feeling I can get the Pro version on sale somewhere too..

Has anyone seen any deals on 2012 Quickbooks Pro?

When I had 5-6 clients all on different versions of QB, I found the service worthwhile. I stopped renewing 2 years ago for the same reasons you cite. The cost was getting out of hand while the questions I had were increasingly fewer as I improved my knowledge of the intricacies of some aspects. Last year I shed most of my business clients when my CPA employee retired and I decided to not replace her. Because I now focus on tax clients, only a handful with Schedule C use QB.

I think the per call cost of tech support, should I need it, will never reach $500+ but your mileage may vary (who used to write that all the time?). And I still have one client on 2007, some on 2008, 2009 and 2010. No one has even thought about going beyond 2010 as what they have does what they need it to do.

You might try to drop it for a while and reup if you need to in a couple of years - save some money!

We do NOT and never have participated in the ProAdvisor program, and we only update QBooks when we get a file from a client using a newer version than ours.

Intuit and their QuickBooks sales marketing schemes are TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced. We renew the Payroll service every year, and only purchase new versions of QuickBooks as needed.

ProAdvisor is only bragging rights, and the ability to send Intuit money.

I've been renewing for some time to get the latest versions to cover me for the few clients that use various years and to get the ProAdvisor discounts on payroll, merchant services, etc. and to have dedicated support in the USA. I keep looking at the price each year and re-evaluating.

We do NOT and never have participated in the ProAdvisor program, and we only update QBooks when we get a file from a client using a newer version than ours.

Intuit and their QuickBooks sales marketing schemes are TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced. We renew the Payroll service every year, and only purchase new versions of QuickBooks as needed.

ProAdvisor is only bragging rights, and the ability to send Intuit money.

When you say "We renew the Payroll service every year" is that only for your company or it includes your payroll clients too?

Thanks

MAS

When you say "We renew the Payroll service every year" is that only for your company or it includes your payroll clients too?

Thanks

MAS

The Payroll service allows us 200 payroll clients, including our own company. It is too pricey for my opinion, but $499 is better than the $800+ we were paying each year just to have the lates version.

Currently we use 2011. We updated last year from 2009. We only bought the new version because QuickBooks tells everyone that they must have 2011 if they have Windows 7, and some of our regular clients sent files made in version 2011.

I know that the salespeople use that tactic, because the salesperson tried it on me. I DID laugh out loud to her as I had 2009 open on my WIN 7 machine as we were talking. She denied it would work, but I am here to tell you, all I did was pop the CD in and install as normal.

This is an interesting thread. I just signed up for ProAdvisor for the first time. We paid the $749 price, which was less than the cost of the accountant's version of the software plus the accountant's payroll subscription ($395+399.95=794.95). For this we get the software, the payroll subscription, the phone support, free online backup (which we probably won't use), free remote access to our clients (2 unattended, and unlimited attended) plus we can accept credit/debit cards through Intuit using a smartphone swiper they provide at no charge for 23 cents a transaction plus 1.61%, with no charge per month. I don't know that we will use that either.

I agree that I don't like to pay such a high fee for the software and payroll, but so many of our clients use it that I don't see a way to not buy QuickBooks, and if I have to buy it anyway I hate to buy something else to use in house even though I am sure there are better programs out there. But I would have felt a little better if I had gotten the $549 price.

I too stopped renewing with Intuit last year due to the price increase as well as the lack of clients who use the software. I can't remember the last time I actually signed on a new client becasue of the exposure on Intuit's site and payroll is just not competative. If I do encounter a client wanting payroll services, I will probably go back to Medlin. I do have one potential client who is using QB 2011 which I have and the engagement has not been finalized. That in and of itself is not reason enough to renew. When I initially became a Pro-Advisory, I paid right aroung $300.00 and the fees have done nothing but increase every year. The last time I looked, I was the only one listed in my area but still have not attracted any business. Over the last 5 years, I think I have only gone on three support type calls. Not enough to keep going.

You asked if anyone had seen any deals on QB Pro 2012. I just looked and found QB Pro 2012 on Amazon for $147.29. I didn't inspect it closely. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Intuit-Inc-416966-QuickBooks-2012/dp/system-requirements/B005FIWUMS/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&n=229534&s=software

You asked if anyone had seen any deals on QB Pro 2012. I just looked and found QB Pro 2012 on Amazon for $147.29. I didn't inspect it closely. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.co...9534&s=software

This version will be perfect for a business that does not have payroll, staples sometimes offers QB for free, but if you need a payroll subscription it will probably cost twice then what the software costs.

I keep renewing because I have clients who use different versions (editions, not just years) and I'm able to see just what they see. That way I can talk them through things if they call me (which I've mostly trained them to do). I keep re-evaluating every year as well and it keeps getting closer and closer to "forget it!".

This year Sage has been calling me to become part of their "Sage Accountant Network" -- but I get plenty of Sage business (Peachtree, Business Works, and MAS-series) with it -- and I never found their support to be worth beans. Picked up a new, unregistered copy of Peachtree ProAccounting 2009 on ebay for very small money several months ago just to familiarize myself with the newer formatting (my old version was 2002 or something like that). That, plus an old hard copy of a Business Works manual does me fine. I'm sure QB would be the same should I decide to bail on the program. Maybe next year....

• 2 weeks later...

I use Medlin for payroll - we don't do that much. Frankly, I hate payroll, but we have a handful of clients that we help out.

As far as QB goes, I've been trying to convince my clients to go with the online version. Then they just give me a password to access anytime. No need to get backup discs, or stix from them. No worry of which version it is. I make my changes and they don't have to go thru the trouble of making entries or getting a backup from me again. Works great. And I don't have to keep buying the new versions.