ATX Community

What do you include in the client packet?

Yardley CPA

Hi Margaret.....I am with you and Catherine on the phone issue. I even have texting blocked on mine as I get charged for every text that goes out or comes in. I did join the Android Tablet era this Christmas, but that is an entirely different toy. I do have a data plan for that, but will never use the basic allowance. Besides, that is a whole new world that I have very little time right now to explore. When things aren't so hectic, I am sure the Grandkids will be a wealth of knowledge.

Good to see you back posting.

• Like 2

Hi Marilyn, Good to know there is at least a small group of us who are frugal! I don't know how nor wish to learn at least now how to text and most folks know that. It irks me to have to pay 20 cents for received texts from random marketers but irks me more to have to pay to block them. I must be part of a movement here, though, as I just found out the blocking fee was to be reduced from about $8 to $2 per month.

We'll possibly hear from some folks who think we may be troglodytes or worse, but I think we each must do what is best for our business. Most of my clients are elderly and don't use much technology either. It works for me - for now! Next year, who knows?

Wow, I'm glad to see I'm not alone, either. I'm fairly tech savvy, but also am not interested in paying for text messages. Fortunately, my cell phone doesn't charge me to block texts. I have internet connection available most places I go so I'm really not interested in getting another one just for a phone. So I went a compromise route and got an iPod Touch -- all the features of a smart phone without the phone or the monthly service plan. My "dumb phone" still works fine. I considered a tablet but liked the portability of the iPod. I must admit that I am completely addicted to my iPod now. And I added a MagicJack App so it is a phone, too - at least when there's internet!

But hopefully someone will chime back in about Square.

• Like 1

I don't have a clue what "Square" is. My phone co doesn't charge to block texting either. I am interested in MagicJack though and whether it is an Android app or exclusive to Apple. I am pretty techy too, but just not interested in texting. Now we will be chastised for getting off the Subject.

• Like 1

I have Tracfone. Basic phone and texting. I pay by the minute for airtime. Online I get a package that makes the cost $.06/minute. Each text costs .3 minutes, so a text in or out costs. $.018 each. If I send a picture, it costs 1.0 min. each or $.06 for each picture file sent. I average $36/mo total costs over the last 26 months. The more I talk and text, the more it costs me. No contract.

I can also use very very slow internet access that costs 1.5 min for each minute online. I have used that feature 3 times in 2 years.

These rates make my cell phone usage very affordable, including texts. I have considered a smartphone, but the costs jump to $49.00 per month, but that includes unlimited everything.

My phone runs on AT&T network, so coverage is good. Everyone should shop their cell phone costs, and DO NOT renew a contract when it runs out. The cell company has to keep providing service at the same price as the contract on a month to month basis as long as you keep paying. This gives you time to shop around.

Cell providers have notoriously ripped customers on price and packages since they started. Competition has made this a different market these days.

SHOP YOUR CELL PHONE SERVICE!!

• Like 1

For Square or other credit card swipers that fit a smartphone, you download an app. So, not too likely to do that on a client's phone. But, you could on your netbook, iPod, tablet, Nook, etc. Really only matters if you do returns at your clients' homes. I just type in the info in QB without a swiper for those who want to charge.

I pay for a data plan for my iPhone on AT&T. However, with other family members getting a base price of $9.99, we pay a great price for three phones.

• Like 1

I like tech, but do not have or want a cell phone. My husband bought me an iPad for Christmas about 6 months after they came out, loved it so much I bought an iPad2 last summer for business. I do not have a 3G plan for either of the iPads, just use wi-fi. I took it to the IRS forum in DC and had all the slideshows pre-downloaded on my iPad and took any notes on the iPad. I signed up for Square a couple of weeks ago and accepted my first "guinea pig" yesterday. He was tickled to help me out!

• Like 2

Good for you, Debby, and being young you will be much more able to absorb these things. I do have a cell phone as my boys wanted me to have it because I was traveling alone a lot at the time. Now, I wouldn't go anywhere without it for various reasons. But, that is exactly what it is; a phone. If I want to take a picture, I use a camera. As I said, I am really getting into this Tablet thing, but so far using it as more of a toy. I do have 4G, but, like Lion, with 4 devices on our ATT plan, we get a terrific deal and we all have something different. Sons are only ones with iPhones. Since we are all self-employed, the bill is not that high and not that much of an issue. We have lots of access to wi-fi as well.

Facebook and texting keeps me up to date with my girls, too. I buy a $5/month texting package that gives me way more texts than I use in a month. (Actually, went over ONE month when Gwen went on a two-day texting spree but the extra buck or so was worth it and still cheaper than the "unlimited" plan.)

Great idea to shop around for cell service & will keep that in mind.

Hmm. perhaps I should investigate the limited plan for texting if my provider offers it, just to be less annoyed when unwanted ones appear and to not have to pay to block all.

NECPA, I don't really fear the inability to talk in the future but already evident is the great decline is the inability to write complete sentences and to spell as well as handwriting. I am appalled that some schools now have abandoned teaching cursive. What will happen to legal signatures? A foretelling may be our own now no longer required on returns....

My son practices his signature constantly now, because his handwriting has deteriorated so much since fifth grade. He is a senior now and they turn in so much homework online and typed that his writing is pathetic. I am old school and had edited one of his papers to two spaces after each period like we learned on typewriters. He told me that that wasn't a rule anymore. I googled it, and I was wrong again. I will have to try to remember that I don't have to do it anymore.

You'll waste more time trying to do it the "new" way than if you just continue to do it the way we were taught. Even being left-handed, after 8 years in parochial school, I learned penmanship, cursive and typing and am shocked at some of the writing that I see. Last week they had an article in our local paper on the subject of young people really forgetting how to spell since the texting rage came in. The tend to write their school papers in the texting shorthand.

bert73,

I *will* check that out. I've kept putting-off calling Merchants' Choice and Reliance Merchant Services, since those seemed good via e-research, but, now that all my 1099's & W-2's & 940's & 941's & MTA-x's are filed, I really must nail an e-payment scheme before the next tide of this Tax Season. (Anyone here worked w/ MC or RMS?)

TaxCPANY,

For your smartphone users, sign up with Square.com to receive payments.