ATX Community

Paper

Lion EA

I've been using a nicer laser paper (on sale) for client copies, items they sign/touch, etc., and the cheapest paper on sale for anything I have to keep, personal printing, etc. With the price of paper and the fact that I'll need to stock up soon and haven't seen any good sales in months, I'm re-evaluating my former process. I know some clients throw their folder in a file cabinet and never touch it again. Others pour through it line by line and call/email with new questions or thoughts about the next year. Some take extra copies I print to mortgage brokers, etc. With the lively discussion on client packets, thought I'd ask for your opinions on paper....

I use the cheapest available for all. No one really cares about the quality of the paper. In fact, very few clients even care about what is written on the paper as long as they get their refund.

Staples ran several promotions where you could get a ream of paper for $.25 (limit 2) by sending a rebate. My Mother-in-law and my wife both buy 2 reams. Other promotions for $.75 per ream, and $1.00 per ream each with a 2 ream limit. These promotions ran about 4 times this past summer. With their easy rebate system, no hassle to get the rebates. I have 16 reams with an average cost of $.83 each.

Buy the cheap stuff and keep your overhead low. Generally "copy" paper is the least expensive, and I have seen NO difference in paper brands.

Same goes for the firm I work for. We go through 35+ cases of paper in a season. We get the paper we can get the best price on.

The only 'better' paper that I use is my letterhead for appropriate occasions. I honestly don't believe that my clients want to pay me to spend extra for paper for returns. But my clients may differ from yours, Lion. They are mostly mid to high income but still appreciate that I don't waste money so keep my rates relatively low.

• Like 1

I use a better grade paper for my letterhead and had been until very recently using the cheapest available for everything else. Well, I have a somewhat higher end fax machine that decided mid-summer that it did not like that cheap paper any more. So now I buy jam proof paper for the obstinate one and every thing else (except the letterhead) is on the cheapest. The letterhead I use very sparingly - probably less than a ream every couple of years.

I ordered a case of Quill brand 22 pound 98 brightness paper yesterday for $49.90. I may buy maybe 4 or 5 cases a year. I don't have the number of clients that a lot of you have. I don't like to switch paper back and forth so I use the same paper for everything. I figure my time is more valuable than what I save on cheaper paper. In Alabama, they require the state withholding form to be printed on 24 pound paper if you print your own. I use 22 pound paper and have had no problem. I'm sure no one has ever noticed (I hope no one from the Alabama Dept of Revenue monitors this board). The 98 brightness really stands out when placed next to a sheet of 92 brightness paper and probably gives better results if a form is optically scanned. I e-file all my 1040s but not the few business returns I do. I keep paper copies for my files because I don't have enough courage to go paperless.

I get (from WB Mason, but it's available elsewhere too) something called "Splox X-9".

It's a Boise Paper product; 92 brightness 20# paper. The thing I really like about it is that it comes in a half-case size box with a sturdy handle on top, and opens to a stack of paper without being wrapped by ream. None of my printers will take a full ream in the trays, so I used to end up with ripped-open partial reams that didn't stack nicely with full reams. The half-case size is also light enough (with that handle) for me to pick up and move -- something I can't do with an entire case/carton of paper.

Three of those see me through all my printing for the season -- and there's another advantage to me; no leftover partial cartons taking up huge amounts of floor space. Floor space of ONE ream; the boxes stack nicely, too.

I have been buying when the price is good. Also use my husband and daughter to go through check-out lines when limits apply! I'll be buying before this season is over, so that's why I was asking for opinions. I'm definitely leaning toward cheap for everything. (I did buy a faster laser printer with a small footprint that prints black only, so have the better paper in that for returns and don't need to change paper in my older huge, noisy laser that prints in color and gets used for everythng except returns.) I accidentally bought a case of copy paper on sale, which my laser instructions said not to use and which the paper said not to use in lasers, but used it in my huge printer anyway. Much more dust in the laser and jams in inkjet fax. Have you had any problems running cheap paper? Printer repair bills wipe out any paper savings?

I always look for 20# and the most inexpensive. you might try www.officemax.com. They run online specials and free delivery. Sometimes buy one get one free is way cheaper than Sams Club. Living in paper mill country, I have a few clients who bring me a ream of the better stuff that I use like the rest of you for letterhead, etc. However, if I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it. The Boise 20# is really very nice paper. I also use "mistakes" to print on the back side for my copy of things.

I should push that more. Clients have complained that they have a poor printer at home, whatever, and prefer paper. Gotta try that more this season. Do you send to the client electronically or burn to a CD or...?

I send it to them, password protected, as an e-mail attachment. Have not had a problem in 12 years doing it this way.

Of course, you still need to return the original documents your clients gave you. (As many times as I ask for copies, I still get lots of originals except from those who send to me electronically or via fax.) Pretty folder in the mail for those not close enough to pick up?

I got the $24,98 price on a case of copy paper at Staples early this year. Have about three reams left.