ATX Community

Just took the RTPT

ILLMAS

I am new to all this cpe and testing, can someone tell me where do I go to take the test?

You have to register through Prometrics.com, there you can look up testing center near you, there is a fee of $116 (corrected fee) for the exam. Just be warned, you will be bombarded with spam emails after you register offering RTPT study courses and after you pass it you get spamed with CPE courses being offered. About an hour after I took and passed the exam I was already getting email about CPE hours.

Here are the areas they test:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/rtrptestspecifications.pdf

While it is "open book" that only refers to Pub 17, the Form 1040 and the 1040 instructions. It doesn't refer to Circular 230. And there were several questions on that. (I took the test 4 months ago & don't remember the specific questions.) Also their versions of the Pub 17, etc. is in a different format than the one you can download from IRS. Same info, just different navigation.

Not terribly exciting, but here's a link to a sample Prometric test - to get a feel for how the computer test works. It doesn't actually help with tax prep questions.

http://www.prometric.com/clientfiles/irs/irsrp/index.htm

I took the NATP test prep class and used their online sample tests for practice. I'm guessing those are only available to people who take the class, but I'm not sure about that. I found taking the sample tests to be very helpful in getting my brain back in a test taking mode.

Good luck.

• Like 1