ATX Community

Still unable to Open ATX 2012

DougO

After talking with Support and downloading their "update" I still find I am unable to use MAX. Program opens, I am unable to perform any functions, and within approximately 1-2 minutes the "shell.loader.exe" Shock message appears and program shuts down. They tell me I now need to wait until the next update to hopefully solve the issue. Anyone still fighting this problem and has anyone found a recent solution?? Thanks - rant is growing inside !

Just out of curiosity, have you tried installing it on another computer?

Mas has a good idea it really does not sounds so much as a program issue as much as it just may not like the security restrictions this computers has. What version of windows are you running? is windows up to date?

I think this is the best idea now, to share any experience we have fighting the new software so far.

So here's my tribulations in brief:

After one smooth and easy installation and three days of appearing the "max.shell.loader.exe" error, and reading the posts here I was able to solve this - loged as admin and process the first program update removes the error. But here comes another ...

Another issue may be the access to the folders on your C drive.

In addition to folders in C:Program FilesCCH Small Firm Services, you need to grant modify/writre access to the following folder as well:

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataCCH Small Firm Services!

Watch out for Application Data folder cause this is one of the hidden folders on the pc, so you may need to change your Tools/Folder Options/View settings to make it visible for you.

Another issue may be the printers installed to your machine, however I didn't get deeper into this so can't tell you any more than this regarding this scenario.

If you want to print you returns into pdf, at this stage do not try to set any other printer than 'ATX 2012 PDF Print' as default! As advised it will be solved via future updates soon ...

Finally I managed to open 1040 form, it is draft form, however any attempt to attach any other schedule to the return ends with program crash message. So waiting for the next update now :rolleyes: .....

Also I see approx 7500 forms in my forms list (and also not all of them downloaded/available) so far, so it is a pity, but the one we can do now is wait :tinfoilhat: ... and arm with all the patience in the world ...

"Just out of curiosity, have you tried installing it on another computer?"

There is a big chance for success, although there is no logic in this :dunno: ... But the idea is good enough! :spaz:

I have installed this on another computer, also with Windows 7. Net results are the same as before. Now after deleting and reinstalling the program about 4 times on my server I can open the program and go through the various functions until I try to rollover. I have gone in thru ATX 2011 and opened and closed several returns as noted in other comments on this forum. However, I still cannot rollover any return - it now gives me a note that "SFS program has stopped working" and then it closes down when you hit okay. I am on version 12.1.1226.1 I believe it is which is apparently the latest version out as of today and so far still unable to actually rollover or open a return.

Are there any other possible options anyone has found in order to actually rollover or open a return.

• Like 1

I have installed this on another computer, also with Windows 7. Net results are the same as before. Now after deleting and reinstalling the program about 4 times on my server I can open the program and go through the various functions until I try to rollover. I have gone in thru ATX 2011 and opened and closed several returns as noted in other comments on this forum. However, I still cannot rollover any return - it now gives me a note that "SFS program has stopped working" and then it closes down when you hit okay. I am on version 12.1.1226.1 I believe it is which is apparently the latest version out as of today and so far still unable to actually rollover or open a return.

Are there any other possible options anyone has found in order to actually rollover or open a return.

Try this,

On the ATX 2012 Icon right click and select run as administrator ( another box should pop up telling you that ATx wants to change your computer, allow this)log in and see if you can get anywhere.

I can open my program, create a return, rollover, ect.... But if I try to change anything it kicks me off, however I notice if I sign in as mentioned about I can move around a bit better.

Hope this helps some!

Deb!

Deb - I have done that although I do not get a second box popup when I choose to run as administrator. I can open the program either with or without the administrator idea and do some basic stuff like Preferences - but if I try to open a return or rollover then up pops SFS has stopped and out we go. Appreciate you help.

Based on all the comments so far, I think I'm going to wait until after the 10th to pull the trigger on purchasing ATX this year or making the switch to Drake. I understand KC's cautions and I do agree to a large extent, but to have these issues with simply installing and running the program is troubling. I haven't heard of any such issues from Drake users.

I can't forsee CCH or Redgear releasing a buggy product with such serious defects that they may risk going under! Having said that is there any tech guru on this board who can do some diagnosis and figure out where the issue is? Is it the users's operating system or the way the computer files are setup or it is indeed the softwar itself.

I am thinking logically now, because if the problem was 100% with the ATX software then 100% of ATX users would have the same problem. But from following the posts on this board it appears only some of us are having these issues.

I still think the best policy is to forego the early discount.

The savings amounts to the fee for a single tax return at most - it's a pittance compared to what's at stake.

Better to keep your powder dry and maintain your flexibility until they prove they have a product you can actually have confidence in.

CCH's ProSystem fx will be releasing their second update. However, with so much changing from the IRS, I'm waiting until this weekend to even install the disc and then will do the updates. But then, my clients come in very late after corrected 100-Bs and K-1s. (In fact, I still have a couple of 2011 returns dropped off in December!)

Yeah - -EVERY year a new issue - - -EVERY year we have to go through hoops trying to get this program to work - -EVERY year I keep coming back - - -WHY????

this eyar - -I could not load the program from the disk - -so I downloaded fromt he internet - -then religiously I have been updating - -yesterday I tried rolling over - - -the program freezes with returns that have dpereciation, Sched C or E or SE - - - -you know the ones that need to make ESTIMATED PAYMENTS this week!!!!!

Sorry for venting - - -sorry for having to go throught this EVERY year!!!

I still think the best policy is to forego the early discount.

The savings amounts to the fee for a single tax return at most - it's a pittance compared to what's at stake.

Better to keep your powder dry and maintain your flexibility until they prove they have a product you can actually have confidence in.

I am with you 100%. the early discount is stupid. So far i evaluated drake and lacerte and proseries. CCH gave me a hard time ordering a Taxwise demo since iwas an atx customer. Eventually a supervisor called me and i am supposed to receive the demo. that was 3 days ago.

Value for $$$ ATX is still the best but i too will decide after the 1/10/13 release as to wether or not i reorder it this year. My office already uses Lacerte so i can add myself as a piggyback for around $3500.

Rolling over returns (other than 2 or 3 for testing) before time to prepare than ALWAYS causes issues. Did you see that returns with 4562 will not be able to be completed or filed before late February or early March? Why roll them over and increase the possibility of problems??

Never roll over until time to work on the return!

Terry, I understand what you mean, but this year because the IRS is not going to allow any processing [even on paper] of returns with C's, E's, 4562s, etc, because they do not have their software working on those, I don't think we should expect any software to be able to do them yet. It's frustrating, sure, but it's just how it is for everyone right now.

I'd really be interested in hearing from members who use other software, as to how their software's are looking so far. I know we have Drake, ProSeries, ProSystem fx, etc users who still participate here. Lion is no help on this one, since she is not even bothering to install it yet. Which I personally think is SMART. I absolutely can not see anyone rolling over all their returns now. I used to do that years ago, but not for the last 10 years. Given all the late tax code changes, all the software companies have for years now had to do multiple 'updates', so rolling over early does not save you a thing, it just means you have to update the rolled return all over again when you do finally start to work on it.

Any way, if you use another software, please share with us how your download went, and how the rollovers are going, or not going, etc. If nothing else, it may put things more into perspective.

We all understand that we cannot file before 01/30 but it is always a good idea to check out the software with couple of returns to see how it is performing or behaving on individual case by case. I officially start my tax season on 02/01 but always rollover my own return and start data entry due to 5 different schedule C so that before i start tax season, i have good knowlage of this year's tax software problems or some new features.

This is the only return i rolledover every year and never had opening a retrun problem in last 20 years. first it start with shell problem and now windows shut down the program.

What CCH should do that all form in DRAFT mode should be there but may restrict the printing or efiling so all the customer can get their hand on the new year software. But they will do what they want to do. Even on the other board, people are screaming for the same problem but not a single reply from the CCH. That is sad that after paying over $1200, the customer service is not good.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Although the program loads VERY slow, I had been able to open the program and roll over a "test" return.

Today things have gone downhill fast.

I opened the program and a few forms were updated.

I then went to open the test file and received a message the return needed to be reopened and saved in the 2011 program,

Did that, but the problem persists.

Even deleted the return and went back to roll over the return. Still received the same message to reopen and save the return in the 2011 program.

Plus I am trying to edit the client letter with no success. I reviewed all of the tutorials but the features in the program in the edit mode are not working.

I have used ATX for over 10 years but I am at the tax program "cliff" and ready to make the switch to another program.

Each day this program is pushing me closer to the edge of the cliff.

Things should be getting better...not worse. I hope ATX is unlike Congress and will not bring us down to the wire before things are resolved.

I am having a lot of the same issues as the rest of you with ATX. I made up my mind I am not going to let this ruin my day/week/month/tax season. ATX has told me that with every update that comes through things will get better and at the end the program will perform better than in the past. I am taking them at their word. I have stopped trying to "make" the program work. That is their job. I have the program installed on only my computer and do daily updates on it. I have not installed it on the other workstations therefore the other preparers in the office are not experiencing the "stress" that the program is creating. I have installed the W2/1099 program on all stations and that seems to working fine. So we can processs 1099s and W2s.

I have enough other work to do that I don't have to have the tax program functioning at this point, so I am not going to "stress out" about it.

If (and that's a big "if") it turns out that ATX will be a big disappointment, then I will have to make a decision at that point. I just see no sense in letting this drive me bonkers at this point.

Just my 2 cents worth!

• Like 2

I am having a lot of the same issues as the rest of you with ATX. I made up my mind I am not going to let this ruin my day/week/month/tax season. ATX has told me that with every update that comes through things will get better and at the end the program will perform better than in the past. I am taking them at their word. I have stopped trying to "make" the program work. That is their job. I have the program installed on only my computer and do daily updates on it. I have not installed it on the other workstations therefore the other preparers in the office are not experiencing the "stress" that the program is creating. I have installed the W2/1099 program on all stations and that seems to working fine. So we can processs 1099s and W2s.

I have enough other work to do that I don't have to have the tax program functioning at this point, so I am not going to "stress out" about it.

If (and that's a big "if") it turns out that ATX will be a big disappointment, then I will have to make a decision at that point. I just see no sense in letting this drive me bonkers at this point.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Ray you are a smart man! Let ATX work out the bugs before you subject the rest of your staff to stress so early. I have been doing the same. I am knee deep with 1099 and W2 creation/submission for my clients etc.

As you said if ATX disappoints you, I am sure after tax season you will get competitive offers from other software companies that want your business. I predict 2013 may be a year when there is a lot of "switching"! Watch out for those conversions.

• 2 weeks later...