ATX Community

Printing to PDF File

pcosten

This has been going on for a few days. If you are trying to print from the PDF button, the software freezes.

The fix is to print to PDF Factory, which you should have if you have been using ATX since 2004 (?). Just click the change printer button and select PDF Facory.

If you don't have pdf Factory, send a PM to Monkeyman and I think he will be able to get it for you.

Tom

Lodi, CA

This has been going on for a few days. If you are trying to print from the PDF button, the software freezes.

The fix is to print to PDF Factory, which you should have if you have been using ATX since 2004 (?). Just click the change printer button and select PDF Facory.

If you don't have pdf Factory, send a PM to Monkeyman and I think he will be able to get it for you.

Tom

Lodi, CA

There's another program called pdf995 that is shareware - you can pay $9.95 for it, or use it free and just click past their ad. It works great; I've used it for years. Just install, then choose pdf995 as your printer.

Tom

Lodi, CA

pcosten,

PM me with your email address and I can send you the file you need.

This site gives me a hard time with sending attachments.

(maybe because erc is like 20 times smarter than me) :P

Monkeyman

"For what it is worth, I have seen no difference in performance between PDF factory (which I kept from 2004) and the PDF selection in the printing section. "

I agree Bob. The pdf printing in the current Max program seems to be working just fine. You just have to specify

the file you want it to print to.

Bigdadder

Never had a lock-up problem.

I found that the ATX pdf does not produce thumbnails when the file is retreived from Adobe.

Solution, use Adobe 7. It shows up as an optional printer in the list of available printers.

I have several pdf printers loaded (Quicken has one, so does QuickBooks) though I've never used any of them to see if the thumbs show up.

Peace out

The file sizes for returns using the built-in pdf in ATX are 4 to 5 times larger than the same returns using PDF Factory. Pick a return and do it both ways, then compare the file size.

You're right, being new to ATX, I have been using the PDF feature for my paperless office. I just compared using the ATX PDF feature to printing to PDF995. The file size for ATX was 1207KB and PDF995 was 159KB.

Thank you for pointing that out. I don't know why there would be a difference in file size, but there is. Now I will print to my PDF995 and save hard drive space. :)

I know I was told in a technology seminar a number of years ago to use Adobe rather than PDF Factory for the same reason (smaller file size in Adobe).

Perhaps, but PDF Factory was free and Adobe is lots of money -- but maybe you've got a silver mine up there in Montana:)

Everytime I use the ATX PDF, or my own PDF software (as a printer), or just print to my actual printer, as soon as the printing is done the next thing I try and do the program will crash. Never had this problem in years past.

I don't know if it is Vista or ATX?????

Well, here you may have found the/a problem. I have several friends who are IT people, and the problems and incompatibilities and crashes caused by using VISTA are legion.

I'm still using XP Pro and have had no problems at all printing to pdf.

Catherine

I know I was told in a technology seminar a number of years ago to use Adobe rather than PDF Factory for the same reason (smaller file size in Adobe).

Byron,

Not quite! I got Adobe free with my scanner. So, I had access to both, and was told it DID make a difference in file size. I just meant that as supporting whoever talked about the file size difference between PDF programs.

Byron,

Not quite! I got Adobe free with my scanner. So, I had access to both, and was told it DID make a difference in file size. I just meant that as supporting whoever talked about the file size difference between PDF programs.

Yes, just pulling your leg, but I am curious what sort of file size difference there is between Adobe and PDF Factory. Have you run the same thing through both to see what the sizes are?

• 3 months later...

Back when this string was going, Kerry emailed some of us the pdf factory software.

I somehow managed to delete mine and now I want to install it on antoher computer.

Does anyone have a copy they can email to me?

Thanks

John,

Send me your email address and I will send the pdf factory setup file.

JerryW

http://www.fineprint.com/

If you have your older program disks, it's on them. You can install from them. But you might want to go ahead and buy the regular version, which has a few things that version does not have, and is very inexpensive. Fineprint, the basic program, only costs $10. If you have the early version, you can upgrade to the Factory program for about half the regular price.

Yes, that is one of the nicest uses, IMHO. I have the full Adobe Acrobat program, but I use the pdf Factory program more often, just because it is so easy to use that way. It can be real useful to combine forms sent by clients into a file with their tax return, and sometimes I want to combine a letter I sent the client, etc, with the return.