ATX Community

Update version 12.19 (I may have been given bad info)

Jack from Ohio

My program update earlier today. There was a program update. Now my program shows version 12.19. I have no information about what was changed, but even if it corrected some of the major remaining bugs from 12.18, it is laughably late!!! I have no more returns to do for 2012, so doing any kind of functional test will not happen till something requires me to do another 2012. :dunno:

More info as I find out what was in the update.

Someone on the other board reported that it was the organizer update, and it created all sorts of problems that caused that particular person's system to start crashing again. They had to take all of their computers in the network offline.

Message from Stephanie at ATX:

from Stephanie B
CCH SFS

once you have ATX installed, you can get the latest update (12.19 in this case), it contains all of the updates in that one.

this is what we have in 12.19

The 1040 Comprehensive Organizer and the shorter version - The 1040 Standard Organizer - are included in this release. Organizers can help clients organize tax information for the upcoming tax season. By adding an organizer to the client's return, the client's previous tax year information is populated in the organizer worksheets. Send the worksheets to your clients so they can provide you with the new numbers for the upcoming tax year

stephanie

Auto download of ATX 12.19 update directly from CCH when opened program. Downloaded alright, installed alright, tried it on a few returns; worked alright.

My system is stand alone, HP Pavilion dv7 with 8mg ram, ter. hard drive, fastest processor for Intel I7 chip (think its 3.4mz.).

I only send 1-2 organizers as my folks all pretty much say, "if I fill out the organizer, why shouldn't I fill out the forms, etc.. Basically nice tool, but not a lot of use here. Trying to give to "new" clients when they ask what kind of information to send/bring, etc. but I also have a document that pretty much answers that need. Given my initial discussion with new folks and my document (revised yearly pretty much) that works well for me. NOTE: small one person office with a limited number of clients currently (had more but medical, etc. had a bunch leave). Rebuilding with emphasis on service and knowledge is my key, so the personal touch is still and will be important.

I have a few clients that really like organizers. Some have come from firms that automatically send them out, but often they're they have Sch C or E or both. I've sent blank organizers to new clients with C, E or 2106 that need a push to get their stuff together.

That's it in a nutshell. Some clients ask for them. I have one client who goes to Arizona for the winter and always wants the Organizer before he leaves so he can work on it. (Lots of investments, rental, etc. etc.) A few others ask for it every year. Some I use just for my own organization when clients come in for appts. They won't fill them out, but I do when we meet. Otherwise, when I send out my yearly letter, I give them the option. Often, it can be e-mailed to them. If they don't want it, that is fine too. In a one person office, you learn to know who wants what.

Have you guys considered using customized organizers instead of the whole kitchen sink type of organizers supplied with the software. When I first started mailing them out, more than half would complain that it is too much and they can't be bothered to fill it out completely. So now I only send to those that want it.

I have about 20 to 30 clients that have K1s, Rentals, and you name it. So what I have done is edited the stuff that they don't normally use out and expanded the ones they use most. I have a caveat on the top that if their investment or other income types change to call me first before making the appointment.

I created my own engagement letter in Word.

All but four of my clients use the Tax Organizer. Well, I actually convert it to an Excel Spreadsheet so they can fill it out on their computer, but they all use it.

All I can say is that you are very lucky to have such cooperative clients. And that too that will use Excel to fill it out nicely.

The stuff i get back sometimes makes me think they were drunk when they filled it out. I have to call them and double verify and as usual they were filled out wrong.

Version 12.19 is not liking my old XP machine at all. Afraid to try to put it on my Win 7 hummer at this point. It keeps crashing just trying to open a return, I have not tried to add the organizers for my testing. Has anyone tried .19 on an XP machine with success??

Version 12.19 is not liking my old XP machine at all. Afraid to try to put it on my Win 7 hummer at this point. It keeps crashing just trying to open a return, I have not tried to add the organizers for my testing. Has anyone tried .19 on an XP machine with success??

I have an XP machine. I just opened a return and added the organizer and it worked fine. I just updated to 12.19.

Was anyone able to find the Engagement Letter anywhere in the new download? It used to come along with the Comprehensive Organizer, I believe.

No, couldn't find it either.

Under "client communications" there is a "preferences" section where you check off the ---engagement letter---. Then it should show as addable, just like the organizers.

• Like 1