ATX Community

just venting

Karen Lee

Or just send them to the Laundromat !

Bronx Laundromat Offers Tax Prep Services
Bronx, N.Y. (January 13, 2014)
By Michael Cohn

A laundromat in the Bronx, N.Y., plans to offer tax prep services while New Yorkers wash their clothes.

Starting this Wednesday, 1 Stop Bronx Laundromat will offer walk-in tax preparation from January 15 through April 25, 2014 between 8 am and 7 pm, even though the laundromat itself is open 24 hours a day for laundry services.

Customers will be able to get a free wash and a $25 cash bonus upon acceptance of their electronic filing, according to the company.

“We wanted to find a way to make tax preparation convenient and efficient, even fun,” said George Lora, managing director of Broadway Professional Services Inc. (BPSI), in a statement. “No one really wants to do their taxes, but if you combine tax prep while you’re already waiting for your clothes and add in a cash bonus, it’s a whole other experience.”

The company said customers’ taxes will take between 30 to 45 minutes to prepare, about the time of a wash or dry cycle, provided customers bring the proper identification and the necessary paperwork. Taxes will be prepared by tax prep professionals, registered with the State of New York, with valid Preparer Tax Identification Numbers. Tax preparation charges will vary by customer based on the number of forms (1040, 1099, etc.).

In addition to 1 Stop Bronx Laundromat on Willis Avenue, BPSI is also offering tax preparation at its Manhattan office.

For more information, visit www.SudsAndTaxes.com . Don't you just love that name? :wall:

• Like 4

I have had to do that Income Averaging on Lump Sum Distributions of SS Disability more than a few times over the years. The good side is the happy faces on the clients who bring in these large SSA amounts; when they find out that they don't necessarily have to pay tax on all (or any) of it. Every case is different and sometimes it may not be taxable at all; but more likely than not, some of it is if they are married or have other forms of income.

I think all attorneys, and real estate agents for that matter, should be locked in a room and not let out until they get it. Every year home buyers come running in with their closing statements and insist that all those closing costs are deductible because their attorney/RE agent told them so. And the new stove and roof they had to put in are deductible too (maybe their barber told them that). Sad part is that if they bought the house in August or Sept, they probably don't have enough interest to itemize. All those fantasies about how much you can save by buying a house come crashing down. Maybe the bad news about SSA disability or closing costs can get soothed somewhat if it gets delivered with a free wash and dry.

• Like 3

Or just send them to the Laundromat !

For more information, visit www.SudsAndTaxes.com . Don't you just love that name? :wall:

I already have one that I would just love to send to the Laundromat. I inherited her along with an entire practice of a gal who gave it up this year. This one scanned and e-mailed me her last check stub tonight and wants me to look up her unemployment and give her an estimate on what her refund is going to be ASAP so she can plan her trip to South America. Of course, she is HOH and has a dependent and is looking for EIC. She thinks the more her unemployment is, the more EIC she gets. NOT!!!!

I already e-mailed her back and told her to take it to VITA. (Or, do they have Laundromats in SA?)

• Like 4

Client e-mailing me questions about her boyfriend's return that he is doing himself. He makes $130,000 and needs a big refund so they can go to Hawaii. They just got back from Disney World.

Two Facebook "friends" trying to pick my brain today as well. Not clients. The pickings are slim. Very slim. Anorexic actually.

• Like 5

Here's another one. You say something like, "Hey, I can't get this guy's SSN, and I need to issue a 1099, what do I do?" And there's always that one, or five, people that say, "You should have gotten his SSN when you first hired him."

Well, yeah, the cow is already out of the barn. We got that part.

This is a fictional example, but if the shoe fits, buy three pairs.

It's like that guy in gym class that thought he was in the Olympics, ya know?

I already have one that I would just love to send to the Laundromat. I inherited her along with an entire practice of a gal who gave it up this year. This one scanned and e-mailed me her last check stub tonight and wants me to look up her unemployment and give her an estimate on what her refund is going to be ASAP so she can plan her trip to South America. Of course, she is HOH and has a dependent and is looking for EIC. She thinks the more her unemployment is, the more EIC she gets. NOT!!!!

I already e-mailed her back and told her to take it to VITA. (Or, do they have Laundromats in SA?)

Got an e-mail back this morning. ("Oh, just forget it! I will go somewhere else!") She sure put me in my place. :huh:

• Like 2