ATX Community

Accepting Credit Cards

Terry D EA

I have just purchased the square to accept credit cards through my IPhone. Does anyone have any experience with this? it almost sounds too good to be true. No monthly fees just the percentage of the sale. I got tired of paying monthly fees for a machine, statement fees, and the high percentage as well. I did this as I just inconvenienced my first normal card paying customer and I hope it will work well. Opinions please.

I have used Square the last few years, I like it. Customers find it interesting. One thing that does irk me is the signing screen. The "clear signature" and "done signing" buttons would be better at the TOP of the screen and not the bottom. I have had a few customers who drag their hand (or knuckle) across the bottom while signing and either clear their sig or hit done before they even get part of their sig signed! I try to warn them but...

Side note: I thought about buying the new square stand, but for my size business, it is not practical. If you have a higher volume office it would probably be cool!

I have just purchased the square to accept credit cards through my IPhone. Does anyone have any experience with this? it almost sounds too good to be true. No monthly fees just the percentage of the sale. I got tired of paying monthly fees for a machine, statement fees, and the high percentage as well. I did this as I just inconvenienced my first normal card paying customer and I hope it will work well. Opinions please.

Terry,

You said you purchased your square? I purchased mine from Target for 10.00 but as soon as I set up my account Square deposited 10.00 back in my account, so my cost was zero. In addition to that, even though when I signed up I said I already had a square reader, they sent me a second reader. So I have a backup.

I was hesitant at first, but figured what do I have to lose? Used it on two clients already and they thought it was wonderful.

Deb!

Can you use square attached to a laptop or desktop rather than a smartphone? I would like to dump my vendor (same reasons, high fees plus %). I am looking for something new, but my phone is not very smart (it is really just a phone).

Thanks for any info you can give me. My laptop and desktop are both Win7 if that is important.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Can you use square attached to a laptop or desktop rather than a smartphone? I would like to dump my vendor (same reasons, high fees plus %). I am looking for something new, but my phone is not very smart (it is really just a phone).

Thanks for any info you can give me. My laptop and desktop are both Win7 if that is important.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Tom

I do not see any application for it for a desk top or laptop application. To use it you have to download the app from Google Play Store, then go online to set up your account. It plugs into the earphone jack on my cell or it can be used on a tablet.

It's cheaper than not getting paid. It's cheaper than getting paid late. It's cheaper than driving to the bank for me. It's to my advantage to make it as easy as possible for clients to pay me. In my state, you can't charge more for charging. You can raise your rates across the board and offer a discount for cash payment.

• Like 1

Thanks for this Square discussion. I got one maybe 2 years ago, before I had a smartphone. Now I've had this phone for a year and don't remember how to use the device. I found the app on the phone and found the little square device (amazing that I didn't lose it!) but don't remember how to use it. Any reminders? I will look on the website again. Some clients tomorrow may be willing to let me try it out on them.

I started using it on my iPod, and now on my iPhone. I don't think it can be used on a PC (or Mac), but not sure. I got mine free when I signed up.

I don't "advertise" that I accept credit cards but do offer as an alternative when clients don't have a check or cash. It has also been a good alternative vs mailing a check.

It's been a good option for me.

I've found it easier to get paid, and paid faster having Square. Everyone carries a debit and/or credit card, few carry a checkbook anymore. Clients don't seem to mind paying the fee when using a credit card; they don't worry about having the money in the account.

its easy, and the client gets an email receipt. I consider the fees as a cost of business.

Square is fine, but you need to pay attention to your monthly swipe total. Since the cost per swipe is higher with square than with a machine, there is a break even point. My experience is that the break even point is around $1,500 in monthly swipes. If you swipe more than that, you are spending more on Square than on having a machine, thus losing money.

Also note that iTransact, who CCH SFS has partnered with, also has a mobile swiper, and their fees are lower than Square. So if Square is the right choice for you, you may find iTransact is even better. Message me and I can help get you more information if you are interested.

I personally only take credit cards for clients that owe. If they are getting a refund, I use Fee Collect inside of ATX and get my fees taken right out of their refund. Works fantastic.

• Like 1

Square is fine, but you need to pay attention to your monthly swipe total. Since the cost per swipe is higher with square than with a machine, there is a break even point. My experience is that the break even point is around $1,500 in monthly swipes. If you swipe more than that, you are spending more on Square than on having a machine, thus losing money.

That price is exactly where I figured when I would be better off buying a credit card machine.

Thanks.

Love this topic. Thanks for starting it.

Are there any options for plugging into a laptop? Anyone have any experience with that? I don't have a tablet or a smart phone.

I am leary of any product put out by CCH right now, so iTransact has not been on my radar. Anyone have more info on how that works? I really don't want to be too tied to CCH.

What about Paypal. Do any of you use that and is it as cheap or convenient as Square?

Thanks

Tom

Hollister, CA

Love this topic. Thanks for starting it.

Are there any options for plugging into a laptop? Anyone have any experience with that? I don't have a tablet or a smart phone.

I am leary of any product put out by CCH right now, so iTransact has not been on my radar. Anyone have more info on how that works? I really don't want to be too tied to CCH.

What about Paypal. Do any of you use that and is it as cheap or convenient as Square?

Paypal is a possible, but although the fee is about the same, the timing is longer, Paypal takes 3 to 5 DAYS to give you credit, while Square is net business day. Why not consider getting an older model like a 4S iPhone? AT&T is selling those as cheap as $0. Or go ahead and treat yourself to a tablet!