ATX Community

Accepting Credit Cards

Terry D EA

Yes, it can be used on Android and iOS tablets.

thank you kea. I will now be getting this. just because this is our first year doing our business all on our own. and I know right now I probably will only have a small percentage of my client doing the same. I assume that maybe only 10-30.

A local coffee shop recently switched out their regular swipe terminal for a tablet with square. Rather than an expensive stand, they got a cover that uses the cover to fold behind it to prop it up on the counter.

My parents own a small frame shop / art supply store, and they're thinking about making the same switch. I recommended any of the Samsung Galaxy Note tablets to use with it, because they have active digitizers, which is a nerdy way to say that they support pressure sensitive and very accurate styluses, which makes note taking/drawing/signatures a much nicer experience.

Intuit has a similar service called gopayment or something like that, but I don't know about USB/laptop compatibility. I know intuit does sell a USB card reader for $70, so maybe that could work?

• Like 1

I have the Intuit reader for my iPhone. But, I just type directly into QB on my computer or laptop anyplace I have internet service to get an even cheaper %. As a ProAdvisor, I have no monthly fees anyway.

My kids that own a bakery use PayAnywhere on their tablet for the cheapest fees they found.

By the way, depending on your service, the signature feature is optional and is used to comfort your client and not required. And, if required, any squibble will do.

I just use QuickBooks and type in the info from the credit card.

I have the info for next year's return also. :)

The fees are low and no additional equipment.

About 14-16% of my receivable are paid by credit cards.

But it is more and more. Might as well get a solution, and if there are no monthly fees, then after April there is really no further costs..

Rich

By the way, depending on your service, the signature feature is optional and is used to comfort your client and not required. And, if required, any squibble will do.

I usually just make a smiley face when I get coffee. It's impossible to make anything that looks like my signature with a regular touch screen.

• Like 1

I just use QuickBooks and type in the info from the credit card.

I have the info for next year's return also. :)

The fees are low and no additional equipment.

About 14-16% of my receivable are paid by credit cards.

But it is more and more. Might as well get a solution, and if there are no monthly fees, then after April there is really no further costs..

Rich

What are you paying as far as rates?

Can't lay my hands on an agreement quickly, but from memory, it's something like 25 cents per transaction plus 1.6 % on the dollar amount without a swipe. Lower with a swipe to my computer. Higher with no swipe using a mobile device. And -- maybe -- a swipe on a mobile device comes in cheaper than NO swipe on my computer. But, the mobile device doesn't fit well on my iPhone unless I remove the case or use an extension (not to mention that my phone's usually zipped in my purse in another room), so it's faster to type it into my computer.

I don't have very many people that charge. I do few but often expensive returns, so some clients want to charge to get airline miles or cash back or whatever. So, I end up paying very little in fees for the convenience of getting my money fast and not having to drive to the bank (I'm out in the boonies, so everything is a twenty-minute drive) or invoice people. I have some clients who give me their charge info over the telephone so I can mail their returns or their kid/employee can pick up or my husband can deliver.

I also have a PayPal link on my website, and maybe one person a year uses that to pay me.

• Like 1

Thank you to all of you for the great information. I think a tablet and a reader are coming in the next year. Probably a "black Friday" special next year. I am locked in for this year with my current carrier, but I am dumping them at the end of the contract.

This is a great topic and I appreciate all of your input.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 1

Jack, you can see the overview, rates, tech specs, faqs here: http://payments.intuit.com/payment-processing/

It does require the latest version, Quickbooks 2014. <_< I'd use this but I'm still on v 2011 and not interested in paying Intuit for an upgrade to collect by credit card.

Actually, I am running it on version 2012. Don't know if you can run it on earlier versions, I was using 2009 before going to 2012 in Dec 2011.

Actually, I am running it on version 2012. Don't know if you can run it on earlier versions, I was using 2009 before going to 2012 in Dec 2011.

Thanks, Rich. I took that info directly from QB's website. I wonder if new people signing up would need the 2014 version? It might be worth calling the support # if it meant that a new user didn't have to purchase their latest version. That is one thing I really hate about QB.

I only upgraded because I use their payroll, and the payment processing folks didn't ask me to move.

I have Qbooks versions 2008 to 2014 to work whatever year my clients give me, so that isn't a problem.

If you have an earlier version, and you signed up, it would probably work. Maybe NOT with the card reader, but for the keyboard entry.

Rich

I am leary of any product put out by CCH right now, so iTransact has not been on my radar. Anyone have more info on how that works? I really don't want to be too tied to CCH.

Thanks

Tom

Hollister, CA

iTransact is not part of CCH, just a relationship with CCH. They are their own company and are very good to work with. I have become a trusted advisor with iTransact via this relationship, and can offer merchant services to my business clients, often saving them up to 30% over their current rates. Makes them love me even more!

iTransact is not part of CCH, just a relationship with CCH. They are their own company and are very good to work with. I have become a trusted advisor with iTransact via this relationship, and can offer merchant services to my business clients, often saving them up to 30% over their current rates. Makes them love me even more!

Can we have a conversation about this after the tax season?

Tom

Hollister, CA

Bumping this back up because, thanks to this topic, I switched my Paypal account over to a business account and sent my first invoice tonight. I didn't get the swipe reader for a smart phone yet (I have only dumb phones). I have a very few clients that I will be handling tax work for via email, so I wanted to give this as an additional payment option, and so that I might get paid faster and before e-filing the returns. There are a couple of other clients that are come in person, but one in particular sometimes forgets his checkbook and has been slow to pay in the past. Maybe this will help with people like him too.

While I was at it, I raised my rates too. :)