ATX Community

Appointment Times

David

"Clients are asking you to alter your times. And you are unwilling to do so..."

I don't mind accomodating the clients IF they truly can't get here during the day. But I know that they are able to get to other appointments during the day.

It escapes me why they think they can tell CPAs that they can't come in until later in the evening but they would never even think of asking an attorney, doctor, dentist, etc. to do so.

David:

*How* do you *know* they can get to other appointments during the day? That is a presumption on our part.

*None* of my clients tell me when they can come in and see me. *I* set the appointments, and *I* will reschedule to something that may be more conveinent to the clients. But those times are still within the times I am willing to meet with them. I learned along time ago that folks are going to do what they think they can get away with, And one of those things is forcing you into a 9 pm on Friday night appointment if you let them.

My little ol' ladies don't want to drive at night. So they get daytime appointments. My younger clients want weekends, or evenings, I just work with them, but I set up the times I am available, and if that doesn't work for them, then maybe they need someone else, or they can mail it in...

Rich

• Like 2

When I worked for Block, my hours were 1-9 p.m. everyday, seldom Sundays. I am a night owl, so loved it. But, by the second year I was in a premium office (higher net worth, entities, that sort of client) with many NYC clients that liked late appointments after getting off the train or Saturdays while running errands but not Friday nights nor Sundays. Now that I'm in a home office in a rural area, few want to drive here at night. And, as my clients age, more want morning appointments. My stated hours are Monday, Tuesday, and Friday 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. and Saturday 12 noon - 6 p.m. (I go to business clients' sites many Wednesday and Thursday afternoons) but the Saturday afternoon appointments are not popular nor is anything after dark. I can still be gracious and schedule a continuing client for a Sunday after church or an occasional Thursday. But, most of my clients drop off or send their materials and come in to the office only for the final review, signature, payment, and pick-up. I only insist upon an office appointment for new clients or continuing clients with a major change that we need to discuss. And, my recently retired husband does some deliveries for me, especially to my elderly clients, that with post-it notes and signature lines flagged have gone well. He has time to schmooze with my clients during tax season when I'm busy! The little old ladies love him.

My Anniversary is Feb. 25.

We were married BEFORE I decided to make taxes my main profession. Will be married 19 years in 18 more days! I do NO tax work that day at all.

Our anniversary is April 1st. Doug wanted a date he would remember (and should he forget, he can pretend it was on purpose as a gag). This year it falls on a Tuesday so our big night out will be a regularly scheduled pistol team match. We *really* know how to party! :P

• Like 3

Hubby just walked in and said that everyone will be out on Friday for Valentine's Day so could we go out to dinner on Thursday since he won't have choir practice. I have a couple of fiscal year returns due the 15/17th with the weekend. Our usual "date night" (used to be "family dinner" as that's when we could get son and stepdaughter at the same time and not be out too late for their homework/bedtime; they're grown, but we continued with the two of us) is Sunday brunch, so I suggested we make that our Valentine's Day. He wasn't thrilled, and I still have that Monday deadline. I think we compromised on Sunday dinner at a nicer place than our usual brunch. That'll mean more time away from work, but I think that's what we'll do. Probably no wine but lots of tea so I can work late that night. And, don't get me started on Easter!

We earn a majority of our income in about 2.5 months. Doctors, dentists, lawyers earn their income in a more uniform matter through the entire 12 months. Thus it is hard to compare ourselves with those professionals. We are willing to work with our clients during our short earning potential period. We do not offer the same hours after 4/15.

• Like 1