ATX Community

How do you track your Efiles?

Richcpaman

Gang:

How do you track your efiles?

Since MD went to waiting till the Fed is accepted to file with them, it takes two cracks at each return...

So, I was wondering, how do you make sure your Fed and state returns are efiled in ATX?

I have completed the clients return, printed it, and maybe waiting to get the 8879.

I would prepare a little worksheet with Name, Done, Sent, Accept, Final at the top, and then add each client going down, and fill in the dates as it happened.

But its turning into a PITA.

Thoughts? Making ATX do more of the work? Am I missing a subsystem or process internally?

Rich

I efile at the end of the day or next day. I have a RED folder and a Yellow Folder. Each time a client signs, I place it on the RED folder.

At the end of the day, my partner reads the name and I check the Federal return to be efiled. When she goes through all of them, I send them. Then she puts them in the YELLOW folder. If a return is rejected, I pull it back and place it on the RED folder.

About a week later, my partner takes out all the clients on the YELLOW folder and she checks "where is my refund" and checks it and files it. If there is a note such as "your refund will be reduced by child support", she makes a little note and informs the client if that person calls.

For the states, I have everything to be held. When the IRS accepts it, the held status becomes 'created' and I file the state return, without checking any papers.

I work alone and have spend many hours trying to find the perfect system to tract efiles. Once they are efiled you can tract them in the efile manager. But before the efile is created it becomes a "manual" process.

I used to print the return manager list and the efile manager list once a week and manually compare the two lists to "catch" any returns that had missed being efiled.

Usually the scenario was that the 8879 had to be sent home to be signed and then returned before efile could happen. The client might mail me the 8879 or drop it off. Working alone occasionally one would not get efiled.

I have always asked ATX why they can't put an extra column for efile status in the return manager that would automatically show the efile status in the return manager. Then you could sort that column by status by just clicking on the top of the column (just the way we can sort all the other columns) and we could easily spot the returns that had not been efiled. But instead they give us this year a handy tool that shows the efile status in the return manager but only if we click on the clients file name in return manager one file at a time. Not much help for "tracking" efiles!

This was one of the reasons (among many) that I decided to give Drake a try this year. The Client Status Manager has a column for efile status that shows "efile pending", "efile accepted", etc. I feel more in control of the efile process this year.

I can easily see what status each client is at. From "printed" to "efile accepted" , efile rejected, etc. So nice! More time to actually prepare tax returns, Drake is written by tax professionals for tax professionals and it shows.

I have always loved the way ATX works, used it for 11 years. But it was time to learn to be proficient in a second software. I needed a back-up plan just in case we had another year like ATX 2012. Maybe ATX will listen to us and add this feature if enough of us ask for it.

• Like 1

I just use the Efile Manager. When return is done I create the efile. It sits there until it's transmitted. We also have a "piling" system where folder are not filed away until client has signed the efile forms and the return has been transmitted.

Are you waiting to create the efile after the client signs the forms? That may more proper but I've been doing it this way since the 90s and not had a problem.

With ATX, if I don't create the efile, the client letter defaults to mailing.

I have always asked ATX why they can't put an extra column for efile status in the return manager that would automatically show the efile status in the return manager.

They have added e-file information into the return manager this year. I see it at the bottom of my return manager. When I click on a return, the e-file status appears in the bottom window. Love it!

I also use the Efile Manager. It just takes a few seconds to check the created, held, accepted, etc. Once they are accepted, they get a check box. I also create them when they are finished and hold them until the 8879 (and the money) has arrived. I am not going to be chasing anybody down for money this year. New Policy = No pay, No file!

They have added e-file information into the return manager this year. I see it at the bottom of my return manager. When I click on a return, the e-file status appears in the bottom window. Love it!

Well, you don't say. I love it, too. Not as quick as having a column, but I can click on names with the best of them. It's better than nothing.

When I have 600 clients to keep track of, "clicking" on each file individually to see the efile status still takes way to much time.

I understand the concept of creating an efile and putting it on hold to keep track.. but when you are missing information that prevents creating the efile

(childs soc sec #, direct deposit information, etc.) You can't create the efile until you have the last bit of information. So still have people that may fall through the cracks.

• Like 1

"They have added e-file information into the return manager this year. I see it at the bottom of my return manager. When I click on a return, the e-file status appears in the bottom window."

I am not seeing that. Guess it's operator error here.

You may have this option turned off. Under preferences, return manager, there's a check box "show e-file status information for selected return"

• Like 1

I also use the Efile Manager. It just takes a few seconds to check the created, held, accepted, etc. Once they are accepted, they get a check box. I also create them when they are finished and hold them until the 8879 (and the money) has arrived. I am not going to be chasing anybody down for money this year. New Policy = No pay, No file!

Your process might work but when I forget to create the efile, it is hard to find the "created", "held" or "accepted" status.

The other problem is when you create an efile and by mistake you efile it before the client has signed. So what's worse, forgetting to efile for a client or to efile prematurely? Both situations are bad, really bad and embarrassing.

Your process might work but when I forget to create the efile, it is hard to find the "created", "held" or "accepted" status.

The other problem is when you create an efile and by mistake you efile it before the client has signed. So what's worse, forgetting to efile for a client or to efile prematurely? Both situations are bad, really bad and embarrassing.

I love your honestly. I had one last year where I just didn't create the e-file. Thankfully, it was a refund, the client called me, I confessed to screwing up, and we lived happily ever after. No idea what happened, but, hey, today is only Tuesday, and I'm 95% done with this week already.

It's a total PITA when you've got 344 in e-File Manager and 345 in Return Manager. The new thing speeds up the search. Not enough, but we're headed in the right direction.

And forgetting to file is worse. Just FYI.

• Like 1

Its the "forgetting" that I wish to avoid.

The Efile Manager is going to have twice as many files as the Return manager... You will have Fed and State Efiles, plus other states when there are more than one for a client.

Just merge the Status info from the Efile Manager into the Return manager. Have a column for Federal Efile Status, and State #1 and Maybe #2. You can still have the EFile Manager and all its functions, but drag the most important info to the Return manager so that I have it all in one place.

Rich

• Like 2

The e-File Manager does not have twice as many files for us hicks in TN.

What is this "just merge" you speak of? Huh? Spill it.

I will stick my tongue out at your TN "No state income tax".

However, the "Just Merge" thing is something that the software writers at ATX could do...

Just a dream..

Rich

• Like 1

I will stick my tongue out at your TN "No state income tax".

However, the "Just Merge" thing is something that the software writers at ATX could do...

Just a dream..

Rich

Oh, haha, I thought you had figured out a solution to what I have been mad about for 100 years. haha :P

Gang:

How do you track your efiles?

Since MD went to waiting till the Fed is accepted to file with them, it takes two cracks at each return...

So, I was wondering, how do you make sure your Fed and state returns are efiled in ATX?

I have completed the clients return, printed it, and maybe waiting to get the 8879.

I would prepare a little worksheet with Name, Done, Sent, Accept, Final at the top, and then add each client going down, and fill in the dates as it happened.

But its turning into a PITA.

Thoughts? Making ATX do more of the work? Am I missing a subsystem or process internally?

Rich

Finally have a moment to reply to the initial question.

Here is our process:

I physically use the paper 8879 and state signature pages.

Once we have them signed by client, they go in the "to e-file" folder and I change the status in the Return Manager to e-file (usually from assembled).

I then e-file the Federal and move that paper to the "currently e-filing" folder.

After the Federal is accepted, I write the accepted date on the 8879 and I then e-file the state(s).

Once the state(s) is/are accepted, I write the accepted date on the state e-file paper(s).

I then mark all the e-file complete boxes in the E-File Manager, and change the status in the Return Manager to complete and mark the complete box in the Return Manager, and file the 8879 and state pages in the client folder.

We also use Fee Collect, so there is an extra step for those returns to track until we receive the payment from SBTPG.

Following this process, we have never mistakenly/prematurely e-filed a return, not have we missed e-filing one.

I really do like the enhancement ATX made this year to include the E-file information at the bottom of the Return Manager.

• Like 1