ATX Community

How do you do it?

ILLMAS

I had 2 easy ones in today, pretty much the only ones that I do while the client waits. Other than having to get 2 folders out of my closet and a paper jam in the scanner, they were in and out in a short amount of time. I don't want to work like that all day, every day though.

• Like 2

My practice is about 1/2 face to face and 1/2 drop off. I try to schedule 2 days a week for face to face clients and I try to book them as close together as I can (most I have done for 25+ years and know exactly how much time to allow). On those days I don't work anything else until my last client is gone. I spend any time in between clients catching up on filing and other menial, mind-numbing administrative tasks. I don't work on any of my drop offs in between clients unless I absolutely know it is going to be simple and I will be able to complete it before the next client shows up.

• Like 1

We interview and input client information using dual monitors, but they NEVER walk out with a return. After they leave the interview, we finish, assemble, scan, invoice, etc. behind the scenes. They return to pickup when called.

• Like 1

Good question. I know I couldn't do it. For me it would be too easy to make a mistake.

Yep...I made one last season because the client had to sit with me, although I told her she couldn't. She talks and talks. (She sounds exactly like Dr Ruth..high pitched voice with German accent). Last year I literally told her to shut up.

This year, when she told me the mistake (and it was a big one...I had left off $180,000 in long term loss carryover)..I told her it was her fault because she talks so much I can't focus! She still insisted she had to sit here while I did the return.

I was sweating and unable to focus today because a client had to get some information off the forms he dropped off last week. He wasn't even talking.

Of course, I was considering whether to depreciate the casket I'll need for the guy in "Boy, I Showed Him" or just expense it because it will essentially just be banker's boxes with the ends taped together, and I don't expect the useful life will be over a year. I'll probably stock up when Staples has a sale. Yeah, "supplies" it is...

• Like 5

I'm still calling CT daily to try to fix the mistake I made preparing a return while the client sat here, left off some CT W/H. I'd just amend, but want to reach a real person as CT often catches W/H errors and fixes them. The bigger problem is that now it goes from owing CT to getting a refund -- and we set her up for direct debit 11 April. I have to stop the debit !! I've spent more time on the telephone that I spent preparing her return.

Did you notice Rita's "signature"? Felony, what felony?!

• Like 1

I am surprise how H and R block prepares hard returns while the clients wait.

I prepare 70% of my returns face to face. There is always the potential of mistake but my clients don't like to leave their documents.

How I do it? You have to understand that most of these returns have 2-4 W-2's, a couple of kids and maybe some unemployement. Some have a house and maybe a 1099.

The problem that I have during the peak of tax season (for me is the last week of January and the first 2 weeks of Feb) is that I don't have time to work on the people that left their returns, which are the more complicated ones.

• Like 2

I do some returns (10%) with the client there, including a few businesses. It's great to be able to ask them questions and have them call and get info faxed while I'm working on the return. Sometimes, they're missing info and the return can't be finished.

I'm actually not "face-to-face" because I turn my back on them to work on the computer.

The only annoying ones are the ones with loud obnoxious cellphone noises, but that's just one or two.

It was hard when I first started doing it, but I got over the feeling of being rushed (which I was just doing to myself) and now I rather enjoy it.

My office manager can scan their records and assemble their return in 10 minutes, during which time I either chat with the client or ask them to wait in the lobby. I can't imagine how that would ever take 45 minutes. Although, I took over clients for a retiring CPA and one return she did took her 8 hours including 1 hour of "copying and assembling". Even the first year, the entire process took me and my less than an hour. She was billing at $80/hour and I bill at $260/hour and my bill was less than hers. I actually doubled my bill to this client and they were thrilled that is was less than last year. And I was thrilled to make $520/hr!

I'll break down the 45 minutes for you:

Print out tax return

Compare totals on tax return to W2, brokerage statements etc... making sure nothing is left out

Sign/date required pages including client lettets

Prepare invoice

Scan everything

Staple package with a heavy duty stapler

Put copy in fllder

Leave up front for client pickup

I probably missed some other steps but that is what 45 minutes look like

In addition to all that MAS listed, there's also the time spent doing these:

roll over from last year or set up as new client

input the data

maybe reviewed the return with client

had them sign the e-fle authorization forms, scanned those in

transmitted returns

received acks and documented those

I'll break down the 45 minutes for you:

Print out tax return

Compare totals on tax return to W2, brokerage statements etc... making sure nothing is left out

Sign/date required pages including client lettets

Prepare invoice

Scan everything

Staple package with a heavy duty stapler

Put copy in fllder

Leave up front for client pickup

I probably missed some other steps but that is what 45 minutes look like

Yes, you missed these:

Find the form you left in the copier.

Curse.

Take out the heavy duty staple.

Run another cover sheet because you wrinkled the old cover sheet, plus you will never hit those holes when you staple again.

Recreate the e-file because ATX thinks the return changed.

Try to staple.

Realize you are out of staples.

Curse.

Reload heavy duty stapler.

Put a Band-Aid on finger stabbed with staple(s).

Realize that you stapled the 8879 to the preparer copy.

Curse.

Run another 8879 because it's a PITA to remove heavy duty staples with a injured finger.

Curse.

Get on here and defend your honor.

• Like 9

In addition to all that MAS listed, there's also the time spent doing these:

roll over from last year or set up as new client

input the data

maybe reviewed the return with client

had them sign the e-fle authorization forms, scanned those in

transmitted returns

received acks and documented those

We are talking about "assembling the return". That's when you say to the client, "you owe $$$" and the client's says, "but my friend who goes to another preparer and makes more money than me is getting a refund"

You have to understand that most of these returns have 2-4 W-2's, a couple of kids and maybe some unemployement. Some have a house and maybe a 1099.

Now add 4 more W-2s for for the spouse who's a nurse and at least two childcare arrangements where they forgot to get the tax IDs and 140 pages of stock trades with wash sales and the NY commuter with the days out of NY that he forgot to get from his calendar and the volunteer trip to Guatemala and the HSA and they forgot the 1098 from their home equity loan and they sold their VT ski lodge and two of the kids are in college so now you need their bursar's transcripts and he didn't call for the property tax amount on the leased cars and why can't they deduct their political contributions and the money they pay to their Polish parents (visitor visas with no tax ID #s) to watch the kids and did I tell you that wife started selling Mary Kay and I don't have to give you this form for interest that's tax exempt do I and you don't need this form where I took money out of my 401(k) since they withheld 20% for taxes and unemployment isn't taxable is it and.... I spend more than 45 minutes answering questions.

Oh, yeah, and you can do my kids' returns right now too since they have only W-2s. Yeah a couple from summer jobs in CT where they live and a couple from MA jobs where they went to school and another from NY where they interned and the K-1s from the trusts grandma set up and...

• Like 1

Not only would I make a lot more mistakes, I really don't even want to do "simple" returns in front of a client. They start thinking, "Hey, she's ripping me off, that only took 30 minutes, I can do this myself, or at the very least, I can run all over town telling people my accountant rips me off. I wish I had her gig. Hey, maybe I will open a business in my home and get rich like Rita." You know that's what they're thinking...

• Like 3

Yes, you missed these:

Find the form you left in the copier.

Curse.

Take out the heavy duty staple.

Run another cover sheet because you wrinkled the old cover sheet, plus you will never hit those holes when you staple again.

Try to staple.

Realize you are out of staples.

Curse.

Reload heavy duty stapler.

Put a bandaid on finger stabbed with staple(s).

Realize that you stapled the 8879 to the preparer copy.

Curse.

Run another 8879 because it's a PITA to remove heavy duty staples with a injured finger.

Curse.

Get on here and defend your honor.

Aaaahhh! I see the problem. For us, assembly just means scan the client's records, do the envelopes, staple the clients paper copy of the return in a folder, and burn a CD of return and records. It goes even faster for those clients that are happy with just the CD and not a hard copy of the return. I charge $10 less if you forgo the paper copy.

Any copying we do (which is almost none) is part of the prep or intake process, when the client gives us records that are not scanner-friendly. And we don't scan the return, we print it to a pdf, and that's the only copy of the return we keep.

I review the return on screen and that's part of the prep, not assembly. Only a really complicated return might be printed out for review.

We're always looking for ways to be more efficient and we almost always improve our processes every year.

We interview and input client information using dual monitors, but they NEVER walk out with a return. After they leave the interview, we finish, assemble, scan, invoice, etc. behind the scenes. They return to pickup when called.

Dual monitors? That's so 2012. I have three monitors and still wish for a fourth many times. ;)

• Like 1